Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)

  #101  
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
trekker44's Avatar
trekker44
trekker44 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin is Fulty error message

Addition info from my post above. The actual error message displayed after selecting R56 and CAS is:


Vin is Faulty
COAPI-2000 EDIABAS or SGBD Error
IFH-0003 Data Transfer Host/Interface disturbed

Any thoughts out there?
 
  #102  
Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
MINIFIDE
MINIFIDE is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekker44 View Post
Addition info from my post above. The actual error message displayed after selecting R56 and CAS is:


Vin is Faulty
COAPI-2000 EDIABAS or SGBD Error
IFH-0003 Data Transfer Host/Interface disturbed

Any thoughts out there?
Same thing happened to Geoffrey and I when he tried my R60. He did his just fine and I believe another R56 fresh off the lot, but we got that error code on mine (on three separate occasions). Still don't have any answers as to why.
 
  #103  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
trekker44's Avatar
trekker44
trekker44 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray, the solution to my problem was to take the cable connector apart and unsolder pins 7 and 8 which were soldered together. It now works perfectly. This fix applies to a 2011 MCC S. There's a great forum to visit on this topic: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....-Cable-problem. These guys are frigging awesome!! Good luck.
 
  #104  
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 AM
dracon
dracon is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heya guys, some of you might know me from the BMW coding forums but I'm starting to look at doing coding work on the Mini models now as well.

The reason why you are needing to unsolider pins 7 and 8 on the interface for the new 2011 Mini's is because BMW has repurposed pin 8 on the connector for Ethernet. They did the same thing in 2009 for the BMW models to support ENET (EDIABAS Ethernet) for the new CIC units and all the new F series chassis.

Honestly, you should only need to have pins 7 and 8 connected together for the R52, R53 and R54 chassis, everything else doesn't need pin 8 at all.

People looking to buy a new cable, I would recommend the vendor we use over at bmwcoding. It comes with pins 7 and 8 disconnected and provides an adapter to bridge 7 and 8 for older cars.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showwiki.ph...DCAN+USB+Cable

There's also I small guide I put together that shows which chassis require pins 7 and 8 bridged for proper operation.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showwiki.ph...ired+per+model
 
  #105  
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 AM
alexs3d2
alexs3d2 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 393
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys... when coding your vehicle, did anyone encountered an error with module DSC? If I try to access the module from NCSExpert, I get a communication error and an error code on my CCC saying that "Safety systems have failed. Vehicle in emergency mode. Visit your nearest MINI dealer."

Anw... If I go to INPA, I can clear the codes and the car is back on fully functional. Maybe i need a different ECU file for the DSC?? I know that V40 (ECU) wouldn't communicate with the DME either, which v32 did. Using EDIABAS 7.2...
 
  #106  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
dracon
dracon is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIFIDE View Post
Same thing happened to Geoffrey and I when he tried my R60. He did his just fine and I believe another R56 fresh off the lot, but we got that error code on mine (on three separate occasions). Still don't have any answers as to why.
Heya Mini owners!

I'm starting to get into the Mini side of coding for my parents '09 MCS and '11 MCC S 4ALL. I've been coding/programming BMW's for quite some time. (Some of you might recognize my name from over at the BMW coding forums).

BMW has repurposed pin 8 on the OBD connector to be an ethernet pin (they made the same change to the E90 BMW's starting in 2009).

If you have a cable with pins 7 and 8 bridged together (referred to as a double K-Line) and only needed for the R52, R53, and R54 chassis, you need to unsolder the pins on the cable to separate them and everything will work fine.

Most cable vendors are now selling their K+DCAN cables without pins 7 & 8 soldered together and provide an adapter to bridges 7+8 together for the older cars.

I have pretty good knowledge of the BMW coding side sans a couple of things the commercial coders keep to themselves. So I look forward to being able to help where I can.
 
  #107  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
donuttang
donuttang is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexs3d2 View Post
Guys... when coding your vehicle, did anyone encountered an error with module DSC? If I try to access the module from NCSExpert, I get a communication error and an error code on my CCC saying that "Safety systems have failed. Vehicle in emergency mode. Visit your nearest MINI dealer."

Anw... If I go to INPA, I can clear the codes and the car is back on fully functional. Maybe i need a different ECU file for the DSC?? I know that V40 (ECU) wouldn't communicate with the DME either, which v32 did. Using EDIABAS 7.2...

How do you do the clear codes in INPA, I don't see any option to read and clear code....
 
  #108  
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
alexs3d2
alexs3d2 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 393
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donuttang View Post
How do you do the clear codes in INPA, I don't see any option to read and clear code....
Select your chassis (shift+F3 in INPA EA90X), go to Functional Jobs, then F1 reads the Error Code memory from all modules and either F2 or F3 clears it (dont remeber exactly, but it is written somewhere there). If you have german version then look for the following:

FS is short for Fehlerspeicher (Error memory)
FS LESEN means "read error memory"
FS LÖSCHEN means "erase error memory"

You can do the same think by selecting each individual module and inidividually selecting erasing the errors of each module.

Sometimes, the error may keep coming back if you do not reset the module after erasing the error memory. Happened to me when I upgraded my CAS to v40 DATEN status and the EPS would keep giving an error. Had to go into EPS and erase the memories there in order to get it back up.
 
  #109  
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 AM
donuttang
donuttang is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have this screen, is this the version you mention?
 
Attached Thumbnails NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)-mini_inpa.jpg  
  #110  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 AM
dracon
dracon is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donuttang View Post
i have this screen, is this the version you mention?
You don't have any scripts loaded into INPA, you need to grab one the EA-90X INPA installers and install the scripts.

Do a google for EA-90X and you should find it.
 
  #111  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Tikigod's Avatar
Tikigod
Tikigod is offline
3rd Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
requested access - looking forward to trying this out
 
  #112  
Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
GTECKO's Avatar
GTECKO
GTECKO is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax - Canada
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tikigod View Post
requested access - looking forward to trying this out
Granted - Cheers
 
  #113  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 AM
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dracon (or anybody else that can help),
Please take a look at the thread I started last week: Problem coding FRM/FRM2

Edited to add:
I just read some notes about the pin 7/8 on certain cables. I have seen the VIN error, but I have also been able to code some of the tables already. I need to look at my cable to see if the pins are connected. It did not come with the adapter, so I suspect that they are connected. Could this possibly be contributing to the problem I am describing in my thread?

Thanks,
Danny
 

Last edited by TiggerGTO; 08-29-2011 at 05:18 AM.
  #114  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
GTECKO's Avatar
GTECKO
GTECKO is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax - Canada
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
if it is not the right cable, you might get an error... Are you able to get a cable from someone to check it out ? otherwise check the "beginners" thread (you posted on it too) theres a link to the cable, they are pretty cheap compare to what I paid lol
keep us posted (fiy I was on vacation, didn't ignore ur msg)
 
  #115  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked my cable, and it does have pins 7 and 8 bridged, but I have also successfully coded changes in three different tables:

CAS: KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB to close windows/roof from fob
INHKA: KLIMA_MIT_AUTO to disable A/C engagement when pressing auto button
SHD: SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF, _SENK, _ZU, and _HEB to get two-touch sun roof operation

I only seem to be having problems with attempting to code values in FRM2. So, even though I have the cheaper cable with the pins bridged, I don't think the cable is the problem.
 
  #116  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
GTECKO's Avatar
GTECKO
GTECKO is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax - Canada
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
did you try CAS - FRM ... not FRM2
 
  #117  
Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
GeoffreyM
GeoffreyM is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NOLA
Posts: 502
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO View Post
Hey Dracon (or anybody else that can help),
Please take a look at the thread I started last week: Problem coding FRM/FRM2

Edited to add:
I just read some notes about the pin 7/8 on certain cables. I have seen the VIN error, but I have also been able to code some of the tables already. I need to look at my cable to see if the pins are connected. It did not come with the adapter, so I suspect that they are connected. Could this possibly be contributing to the problem I am describing in my thread?

Thanks,
Danny
The 7,8 thing certainly could be a problem. What year is your car and what version of the datens are you using? I ask because mine is a 2011 and I had to go to V41 before I could code any of what you are talking about.
 
  #118  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is a 2011 JCW Hardtop. I'm currently on V41, but I was able to do the coding I've already accomplished with either V38 or V40. I can't remember exactly when I put down V40.
 
  #119  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTECKO View Post
did you try CAS - FRM ... not FRM2
Yes, and this is where part of the confusion comes in. If I look at the spreadsheets, it says to code:

FRM2: TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT change to nicht_activ to disable the window up interruption when opening a door

FRM2: FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ change to nicht_activ to allow fog lights to be on while the high beams are on

Using both V40 and V41 datens, I have not been able to find a module named FRM2 to read. I can only find FRM. If I read FRM, there is not a TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT value, but there is a FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT_3R value. I tried changing that to nicht_activ. In this table, there is a FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ value which I also changed to nicht_activ. When I wrote these updated values back to FRM, they seemed to have no affect. I tried reading the module back again, and it contained the changed values, so I believe I coded them successfully.

BTW, your online spreadsheet looks like somebody accidentally blanked out the value in C10 and moved what used to be in C10 into C11. In other words, what used to say TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT is now blank, and where it used to say DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK now says TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT. I haven't looked at the online spreadsheet for a while, so I don't know when it changed. I'm comparing it to a printed spreadsheet that I have.
 
  #120  
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
GTECKO's Avatar
GTECKO
GTECKO is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax - Canada
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO View Post
BTW, your online spreadsheet looks like somebody accidentally blanked out the value in C10 and moved what used to be in C10 into C11. In other words, what used to say TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT is now blank, and where it used to say DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK now says TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT. I haven't looked at the online spreadsheet for a while, so I don't know when it changed. I'm comparing it to a printed spreadsheet that I have.
Fixed it, thanks !!
as for your FRM problem,I never encounter it...is it a 2011 issue then ...hopefully some members can enlighten you
 
  #121  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM
wai_jai268
wai_jai268 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for help here. I am able to set up NCS Expert but I am not able to disable DRL. I am in Canada, and my car build date is 05/2011

In the FRM module, i have:

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_l

If i change it to

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_tfl_off

After executing the code, it will revert back to:

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_l

Do I need to delete the "3R"?

Thanks!


***EDIT***
So I tried the second approach of changing the VO and removing option $838 for DRL Canadian, then "default" other modules by coding all modules. Then I have this warning sign display which shows a vehicle with the trunk open (?) with a exclaimation mark next to it! The original gong changed to the ones you hear from VW, and the speedo and fuel gauge doesn't work no more. What should I do????? Help! DID i just brick my car?
 

Last edited by wai_jai268; 09-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.
  #122  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
strobeyprobey
strobeyprobey is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to suggest to remove the Canada country code, because that has been successful in the past. My gut feel is that you may have changed something else in the VO by accident. And just to be sure, you changed the VO string in both the FRM and CAS modules before defaulting all modules?

Hopefully you have a copy of your original VO string? When you connect NCS expert it writes the entire VO out to a text file in the work directory.

You can always try putting the $838 back in and re-defaulting. Defaulting the modules should be a safe procedure, and it should be fixable. Don't freak out just yet.
 
  #123  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
TiggerGTO
TiggerGTO is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you default a module? Do you just write a zero-length .man file to the module?
 
  #124  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
strobeyprobey
strobeyprobey is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO View Post
How do you default a module? Do you just write a zero-length .man file to the module?
Nope.

Turn off tracefile manipulation in the profile editor. Then program the module or vehicle (as if you were programing a trace file).

What this does is "defaults" the module, the module re-reads the VO string and sets all of the settings accordingly. Like region settings, options, etc.

Password to edit the profile is repxet
 

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 09-06-2011 at 04:26 PM.
  #125  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
wai_jai268
wai_jai268 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
I was going to suggest to remove the Canada country code, because that has been successful in the past. My gut feel is that you may have changed something else in the VO by accident. And just to be sure, you changed the VO string in both the FRM and CAS modules before defaulting all modules?

Hopefully you have a copy of your original VO string? When you connect NCS expert it writes the entire VO out to a text file in the work directory.

You can always try putting the $838 back in and re-defaulting. Defaulting the modules should be a safe procedure, and it should be fixable. Don't freak out just yet.

I have a dealer update done back in July 2011, don't know if it makes a difference, some people at E90 forum say it does, because it will cause a conflict with daten V41.

Anyways, what I did was FA Write CAS and FRM taking out VO $838 in expert mode, then change to Revtor profile, and default all modules without removing the enable tracefile editor(? whats that?), then it gives me the error and malfunctions.

WHen you say original VO string, you mean the big tracefile in works folder, or just the tracefile each time I read a module (the smaller tracefile).

What do you think the dealer will say if I brough the car in?

Thanks!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: