E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

E-Mini Some additional info on the 2024

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:06 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Some additional info on the 2024

Found a couple of articles on the new 2024 SE Mini. The first article was interesting with some conjecture on the range and battery size of the 2024. The second article with video of a test drive confirms that the new 2024 will come with two different battery option and HP ratings. So one could assume the idea of near 250 mile range 2024 SE is going to become a reality.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...it-184684.html

https://www.insideevsforum.com/commu...t-drive.13393/

If all the above proves to be true, My 2019 MCS will be traded for the new 2024 (providing dealers don't play with inflating MSRP and adding thousand$ in dealer installed options (that in fact cost them near nothing).

2024 Variants

According to the Autocar report, two variants will be available. The base variant will have a 40 kWh battery pack, and the top-end ‘S’ variant will have a ~50 kWh battery pack.
Aspect\SpecificationBase VariantTop-end Variant Battery Pack Capacity40 kWhAround 50 kWhExpected Range (unofficial, WLTP)Around 185 miles Almost 250 miles PowerApprox. 181 hp Approx. 221 hp 2024 MINI Electric expected specifications (Source: Autocar)The 40 kWh battery pack may provide a range of around 185 miles, while the ~50 kWh battery pack will likely allow traveling up to almost 250 miles on a full charge. The EPA-est. range could be shorter, though. MINI might not offer the base variant stateside because of the low range. Both variants may have a single motor powering the front wheels, with the power output tuned around 181 hp for the base variant and around 221 hp for the top-end variant.

Top speed

Geiger said that the electronically limited top speed of the next-gen electric MINI will be higher than that of the current model, which tops out at 150 km/h (93 mph). We expect the redesigned model to do about 180 km/h (112 mph).

Lower center of gravity

MINI engineer Klaus Bramer has told Auto Express that the redesigned MINI Electric has a lower center of gravity, and so, it’s possible to make the car more agile and playful. The new car is lighter, too, which only makes things better. The high-output, long-range variant, which will likely be the one heading to the U.S., will have a sportier set-up.

A bit more on range:

https://www.motoringfile.com/2022/03...nce-and-range/

Last edited by USA-RET; 04-02-2022 at 06:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by USA-RET:
Jumpmini (05-21-2022), Rocket_man (04-14-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:10 AM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Many thanks for your excellent, very informative thread.
The next gen Mini Hardtop EV S model interests me as well. Replacing my 2015 F56 S has been frustrating due to chip shortages (my 2021 arrived minus HK so I walked) and now there's a hold on 6 speeds, plus pricing to navigate. Driving an automatic (gulp), and the EV's minimalist interior plus battery replacement cost are open issues for me. But, they are worth exploring, and may be offset by the EV's performance, roominess, and 200 mile range. My dealer thinks that the next gen cars will be orderable around this time in 2023.

Last edited by BMBULBE; 05-09-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:42 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
. Driving an automatic (gulp),
I thought I was going to miss driving a manual, but it hasn't really bothered me at all. I think it's because there isn't a transmission at all, and the car is always ready to accelerate. In an automatic, I'm usually irritated that the car isn't in the gear I want it to be in, but in an EV you step on it and it goes right away. No waiting for a gear shift, no turbo lag, just instant acceleration. Let off the gas, and the regen braking slows you down. It's a blast.

The following users liked this post:
eMINIman (05-12-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 02:58 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Many thanks to you, Chrunck. A friend has a long history of driving manuals, but now owns a Nissan Leaf that he really likes driving. He had the same comments about his Leaf. I also appreciate your clarification about there being no transmission which he also echoed (I have some learning to do). They came as a relief. Your observations about automatics, which I really dislike, are spot on.

Last edited by BMBULBE; 05-09-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:45 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
The 2024 SE sounds like almost everything anyone could want in the replacement for the British MINI Cooper SE: smaller on the outside, larger on the inside, lower center of gravity, quicker, faster, greater range, and lighter, too. Based on a few spy photos, some people even consider it better looking. However, of all those improvements, the one I'll envy is if the 2024 SE is, indeed, lighter than my wonderful 2021 British SE.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:49 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eMINIman
The 2024 SE sounds like almost everything anyone could want in the replacement for the British MINI Cooper SE: smaller on the outside, larger on the inside, lower center of gravity, quicker, faster, greater range, and lighter, too. Based on a few spy photos, some people even consider it better looking. However, of all those improvements, the one I'll envy is if the 2024 SE is, indeed, lighter than my wonderful 2021 British SE.
Yes, for sure. I was looking at a Chevy Bolt 2LT and found it to be a nicely appointed car with upgraded interior features and finish similar to the Mini (but not quite as nice overall). A bigger car for sure, but with the increased range, I'd have choose it over the current Mini SE. (I have to make a 200 mile round trip a couple of times a year, so having to use my ICE car for that would be a disappointment). With a range of 250 miles, the Bolt (and now the 2024 Mini SE) would allow me to use an EV for all my driving needs. I thought it was a shame to forgo another Mini going forward as I prefer the Mini in every other way. As you said, the new 2024 "ticks" all the boxes for me and will likely be my next Mini and my first EV.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:26 AM
endquote
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I'm starting to have buyer's remorse about my 2022, which is 98% perfect except for the few times a year when I exceed the range.

I needed a mini-sized car, but made the emotional decision to get a beautiful max-spec SE rather than the practical choice of a used ICE for a while until the tech got better.

Maybe I'll see what a trade-in looks like in 2025 or so...

Old 05-14-2022, 08:39 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Always hard to judge the market (not talking stocks either), especially the way things are today. If you have a nicely optioned 2022 you may be be a better situation that those looking to buy or order a new car now. If this Mini SE is your only car, I can see your quandary with longer mileage drives. Although, not something I'd like to do, perhaps there are some charging stations you can use on those longer commutes. Once you get accustom to incorporating the stops into the travel, it may not be as bad as you surmise. If you are able financially, you could search the private sellers market and buy a used ICE that would could be used for those longer commutes. Keep it insure with liability insurance only and as a low miles driven car only. Both of my cars are insured as recreation only with the lowest allowed miles per year.

I have a 2019 Iconic w/ the JCW tune and a 2017 BMW M240i (4700 and 8200 miles respectively on the clocks). Both look brand new to the eye and have been trouble free (thank heavens). If I never buy a new car again, I can live with both these cars as I ordered each exactly how I wanted. Fortunately, I am at a point in my life where I can afford new cars (if only for the new car warranty and for something different to drive), and now I can't buy exactly what I'd want due to shortages even if I choose to. I am still surprised that even ordering a new car with a long delay in delivery, options that one would consider "run of the mill" may not even be available when you place your order. I am hoping that in the next couple of years things will settle down and prices will return to some normalcy.

Lets hope things get better going forward. Can't imagine how difficult it is for someone trying to make ends meet, working, raising a family, with food inflation, gas prices and keeping an older car in good repair to get to a from work each day (god forbid you need medical care). Sheesh!

endquote (05-16-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 07:22 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by endquote
I'm starting to have buyer's remorse about my 2022, which is 98% perfect except for the few times a year when I exceed the range.

I needed a mini-sized car, but made the emotional decision to get a beautiful max-spec SE rather than the practical choice of a used ICE for a while until the tech got better.

Have you considered renting a car for longer trips? I'm sure it would still work out cheaper in the long run.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrunck:
eMINIman (05-15-2022), endquote (05-16-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 07:28 AM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by endquote

I'd bet you don't have driver's remorse in your British MINI Cooper SE. Although I've said this about other cars I've owned, my SE is the most fun to drive (I never owned a Miata or S2000). I like my SE's looks, sumptious interior, and performance so much that I don't believe I'll be "upgrading" to a 2024 SE, even if its road-test numbers are better. I wouldn't want to be the paying tester for a first-year product from a brand-new factory. In a few years, after the teething pains have been overcome, the second-generation of the Chinese SE will cause buyer's remorse for those who jumped into the first one.

endquote (05-15-2022)