MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

What's the better battery? Li-ion or NiMH?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
jeffu
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the better battery? Li-ion or NiMH?

Some may be surprised to find out that we already have a proven EV traction battery that has been tested in hundreds of Electric SUVs for over a decade now.

It's the Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery.
The EV version was invented using U.S. tax money years ago.

Hundreds of Toyota RAV4-EVs have been driving for over a decade now with their original batteries, some with over 100,000 miles on them.

Chevron bought up the rights to this amazing battery to keep it from replacing gasoline. Chevron suppresses their use.

Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) are the lowest Life-Cycle Cost battery.

Here's a quick read about it:

http://www.ev1.org/nimhsup.htm

This story would make a great movie. Oh, I forgot, it already did.
See "Who Killed the Electric Car". You can get it from NetFlicks or Plug In America for cheap.

NiMH batteries are way cheaper than Li-ion batteries and they last longer. If they could be used in the MINI-E, it would be affordable for sale, BMW could grantee their life span and we would have more range for less cost.

Goto: http://www.dcmonitor.biz/

And find out what you can do to make NiMH batteries available to EV consumers once again.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
NiMH is the battery being used in the Prius since inception. Others use the Li Ion because it is more porewful then NiMH. What is on the horizon are Carbon Nanotube Lead Acid batteries. They offer more reserve capacity than standard Li Ion, charge faster, have a quicker discharge rate, and are almost 100% recyclable compared to Li Ion's low recyclability rate. Why there is so much invested in the Li Ion is because the government has funded Billions (look on the TARP site for confirmation) into this emerging technology. I am not sure as to why they have invested so much into an easly depletable, semi-reliable, difficult to recycle technology, but I certainly have my suspicions.
aaron

Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
thirdgear3
Neutral
Jeff, months ago you started a thread called "Chevron sells death grip on NiMH battery" or something close to that. Did they or didn't they? Also, I read that Toyota is dropping it and going to use Li Ion for the Prius (they may be already) why would they switch if they aren't better and I'm not saying they are or aren't. I have always heard how heavy they are, much more than Li Ion, is that not true? Plus if Chevron does still hold the rights then nobody can use it without permission. Their exclusivity has to end soon right? It only lasts 15 years and this happened in the mid 90's no?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
Toyota is offering a Li Ion edition of the Prius for 2012. As to say whether or not they will be replacing the NiMH, is not for sure. The Li Ion provides better all around performance than the NiMH by far, and the ones used in cars to come will be Lithium Nano (either phosphate or something else) which performs even better than anything else, period! Li Ion's main obstacles remain though. Overheating (could catch fire or just explode), Lithium is rare and being mined faster than almost anything else (expensive), and again, not easily recyclable.
Perhaps Jeff could shed some light on this Chevron debacle.
aaron