Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch and Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 04:27 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Clutch and Timing Chain Replacement

My Clubman recently ticked over the 100,000 mile mark, and I’ve been getting a little nervous about the timing chain. Also, the clutch has started getting grabby when downshifting, so I’m thinking it’s on its way out, too.

So, question to you guys... I am pretty good around the garage, and have performed other tasks on the Mini. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t think I can’t handle these two operations? Mechanically, they seem pretty straight forward, but the engine bay is pretty tight. I have also not performed these tasks on a modern engine with torque to yield bolts.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 550 Likes on 447 Posts
I replaced the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch (Valeo kit) on my R53. It's not a simple job but it's doable if you can turn a wrench and have a buddy to help you get the trans back in. It could easily be done over a weekend. Same thing with the timing chain though you will need a special tool to lock the camshafts when installing the new chain/guides. Both are a great way to learn about your car.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by cooper48
I replaced the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch (Valeo kit) on my R53. It's not a simple job but it's doable if you can turn a wrench and have a buddy to help you get the trans back in. It could easily be done over a weekend. Same thing with the timing chain though you will need a special tool to lock the camshafts when installing the new chain/guides. Both are a great way to learn about your car.
I am prepared to buy whatever tools might be needed. Right now, I'm trying to filter through all the options for the clutch and flywheel....

Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
I managed both on my own using an engine bracket/hoist over the wings (if that makes sense) and a length of webbing to support the gearbox in and out.
Both jobs are managable with a decent manual, I used Haynes. While the subframe is out you could consider poly bushings for the rear wishbone bushes and renew your anti roll bar bushes as these are inaccessible without the sub out.
When you disconnect the steering knuckle inside the footwell, try to keep everything including the steering wheel in the same place to prevent the steering angle being off when reassembled, I used gaffa tape and marker pen.
Replace the crankshaft seal and the gearbox input shaft seal plus drive shaft seals, these are cheap and worth doing. Don't reuse the gearbox oil of course!
Took me three days to do the lot but was first time and could probably do it again in half that time. Good luck. The cash you save will more than pay for any tools.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
You can handle it. I've seen your posts from other issues and upgrades, this won't be a walk in the park, but your experience adds up. You'll be fine. Plus, you have us to support if you run into any issues. Just be patient with the work because if you try to rush through it, it'll backfire easily especially on the timing bit.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
As said above, it can be done by the DIY'r, just don't try to rush the job. Instead of using a manual (I prefer Bentley to Haynes) take a look at this newTIS procedure, for my '07MCS --- https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...aft/1VnY7d2Xnh Use your own VIN last seven characters to get the exact procedure for your car. Also, while you're in the website, do a document search for replacing the flywheel, then consider combining the two procedures. Both are written for doing the job with the engine still in the car. Some of the special tools can be "worked around", just be sure to achieve the specific task without doing damage to anything.

Scudder44 has good advice for "while you're in there". Altho, so far there hasn't been an equivalent tranny oil substitute for OEM, so good luck choosing an alternative. Also, are you considering other upgrades --- LSD, light flywheel, etc --- more "while you're in there" stuff?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Thanks for the confidence boosters!

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
As said above, it can be done by the DIY'r, just don't try to rush the job. Instead of using a manual (I prefer Bentley to Haynes) take a look at this newTIS procedure, for my '07MCS --- https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...aft/1VnY7d2Xnh Use your own VIN last seven characters to get the exact procedure for your car. Also, while you're in the website, do a document search for replacing the flywheel, then consider combining the two procedures. Both are written for doing the job with the engine still in the car. Some of the special tools can be "worked around", just be sure to achieve the specific task without doing damage to anything.

Scudder44 has good advice for "while you're in there". Altho, so far there hasn't been an equivalent tranny oil substitute for OEM, so good luck choosing an alternative. Also, are you considering other upgrades --- LSD, light flywheel, etc --- more "while you're in there" stuff?
I’ve been running Redline MTL in the gearbox.

Ive considered an LSD upgrade, but haven’t looked at the installation for it. Is it as easy as pulling the old one and dropping in the new one with new bearings? Is there a gear alignment procedure?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Thanks for the confidence boosters!

I’ve been running Redline MTL in the gearbox.

Ive considered an LSD upgrade, but haven’t looked at the installation for it. Is it as easy as pulling the old one and dropping in the new one with new bearings? Is there a gear alignment procedure?
I've seen a vendors video that shows it as a "plug-n-play", but no first hand experience. Maybe a youtube search?