Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform

Full OBD2 flashing on the BMW F-series has just completed successfully, and we simply need to make some code modification on the software for it to work on the MINI B48/B46s and B38/B36s... stay tuned for additional updates..

===== Updated Group Buy List Below (Dec 27, 2017) ======

Just a quick update: software is fully tested and everything worked as expected. Tested the end-user flashing cable and it's a GO

Taking reservations on Group Buy (10 units): $750 + shipping; upgraded spark plugs are $21.95 each (Pricing will likely go back to normal after the new year).
1) vetsvette
2) Lee
3) Jason S.
4) Mini_Vinnie
5) nrq31467
6) John T (in Jersey)
7) Mimaki (Australia)
8) smw (SA)
9) Dylan in Canada
X) Han in SK

Directions:
  • Fill out the Tuning Checklist (https://www.bytetronik.com/wp-conten..._Checklist.pdf)
  • Email this list back to us (info@bytetronik.com) and we'll assign you a CRM number.
  • Mark on there the prefer shipping method (FedEx Ground, 2-Day or Ground).
  • When it's ready to ship, we'll send you an online invoice with actual shipping included.

Last edited by Bytetronik; 02-04-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: updated Group Buy List
Old 12-15-2017, 07:31 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Full OBD2 flashing on the BMW F-series has just completed successfully, and we simply need to make some code modification on the software for it to work on the MINI B48/B46s and B38/B36s... stay tuned for additional updates..
Is this detectable if the ECU is flashed back to stock before taking it in to the dealer for service?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
So does this mean we wont have to send our ECU in then?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM
curtyv
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Seems like it. Very interested to hear more about this as my jaunt into the world of piggyback mods was fun, but a proper ECU tune at the right price is much more enticing.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Well dang.... I guess I might have to hold off on the Elite until more info is released

Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Correct. Everything will be done through the OBD2 port.

Originally Posted by curtyv
Seems like it. Very interested to hear more about this as my jaunt into the world of piggyback mods was fun, but a proper ECU tune at the right price is much more enticing.
We have many customer who came from the piggyback 'world' and they are happy with our tune.

Originally Posted by toyopet
Is this detectable if the ECU is flashed back to stock before taking it in to the dealer for service?
You can always flash it back to OEM stock when you take it back to dealership for service.

Common misconception: If your ECU/DME has been reflashed by a third party (other than BMW) then the warranty is voided automatically... Not entirely true! The purpose of the OBD2 port was mandated by govt to specifically allow third party access the ECU/DME so independent shops can use tools such as Autologic to service these vehicles. Of course, this doesn't mean one can (or should) go in and wildly adjust the parameters without recourse.

Our tunes have been dyno proven (both by us and by our customers' dyno graphs), street tested for the past three plus years, and raced on the track by our customers with great results...

Come January 2018, we will have new performance products for R53, R56 and F56

Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Correct. Everything will be done through the OBD2 port.

You can always flash it back to OEM stock when you take it back to dealership for service.
So, we'll have a release date next month? I'm thinking about returning my Elite that hasn't even been out of the box yet. Do you have a ballpark price that can help with my decision?

Edit: Just got a return authorization for my Elite. Would be nice to have a little more info than this tease. Mainly approximate release date and approximate cost, cause I'm gonna be losing >$100 bucks to return my Elite.

Last edited by vetsvette; 12-15-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by vetsvette
So, we'll have a release date next month? I'm thinking about returning my Elite that hasn't even been out of the box yet. Do you have a ballpark price that can help with my decision?

Edit: Just got a return authorization for my Elite. Would be nice to have a little more info than this tease. Mainly approximate release date and approximate cost, cause I'm gonna be losing >$100 bucks to return my Elite.
Release date should be right around the new year and pricing would be inline with our current level, $800 shipped to the Conti-USA (OBD2 flashing module with a Stage-1 tune and the Stock tune).

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 01:53 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Release date should be right around the new year and pricing would be inline with our current level, $800 shipped to the Conti-USA (OBD2 flashing module with a Stage-1 tune and the Stock tune).
Can we get some performance gain numbers at various RPM, please??

Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Mini_Vinnie

Oh hell yeah, cheaper than Dinan, definitely not buying that now!

If you are playing a December fools joke Im going to be pissed

Old 12-15-2017, 02:09 PM
punkgeek
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I am following this thread so hard...

Old 12-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Can we get some performance gain numbers at various RPM, please??
We have posted a few dyno graphs comparing the stock tune against our Stage-1 tune and the 'delta' is quite drastic. Below is the link to our original post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4248543

Oh hell yeah, cheaper than Dinan, definitely not buying that now!

If you are playing a December fools joke Im going to be pissed
No jokers in the house...

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Common misconception: If your ECU/DME has been reflashed by a third party (other than BMW) then the warranty is voided automatically... Not entirely true! The purpose of the OBD2 port was mandated by govt to specifically allow third party access the ECU/DME so independent shops can use tools such as Autologic to service these vehicles. Of course, this doesn't mean one can (or should) go in and wildly adjust the parameters without recourse.
You state a "common misconception", say it isn't entirely true and you don't really address it. You just talk about the purpose of the OBD2 port.

Unless you can specifically give a reason, I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you adjust even one parameter in the slightest you have probably dashed all hope of warranty if MINI can prove it.

Third party access to read and erase codes isn't the same as tuning.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You state a "common misconception", say it isn't entirely true and you don't really address it. You just talk about the purpose of the OBD2 port.

Third party access to read and erase codes isn't the same as tuning.
The Autologic and similar Factory tools can do much more than just 'read and erase codes' ... So do you consider flashing a factory JCW map into the ECU an act of 'tuning'?

I can't address this topic b/c I don't know of any instance where the warranty was specifically denied b/c the car was flashed. If you have stories, then feel free to share with the community. I have stories of where the car's warranty was denied b/c the CAT was removed or modified.

And I do know of instances where owners of exotic vehicles blew up their motors at the race track while the car was still under warranty coverage and their claims were denied b/c the computer logged the events prior to the catastrophic failure.

Bottom line is this: Just b/c a car is under warranty, it doesn't mean the mfg will cover the car should they determined that the car was 'misused'; on the contrary, just b/c an ECU was flashed, that doesn't automatically void your warranty... there are plenty of gray area in between the two scenarios...

Should you want to discuss this topic further, feel free to start a separate thread.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Just b/c a car is under warranty, it doesn't mean the mfg will cover the car should they determined that the car was 'misused';
It has always been my view, regardless of expressed or implied warranties offered by any third party, or the lack thereof, ANY TIME one chooses to modify a car in any way, it's buyer beware. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Hopefully, reputable suppliers and manufacturers will try their level best to offer quality, tested products. Even so, when making a warranty claim, YMMV.

If we want the extra performance, we need to assume some of the risk. Seems fair to me.

What isn't fair is misrepresentation, expressed or implied. I hope we can all agree on that.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 2017All4
It has always been my view, regardless of expressed or implied warranties offered by any third party, or the lack thereof, ANY TIME one chooses to modify a car in any way, it's buyer beware. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
Yep, we are in agreement. Even putting on a CAI could potentially void your warranty... so proceed with caution...

If people are concerned about their warranty, then they should leave it OEM stock until the warranty coverage has expired, or buy from a company that offers 'Third Party warranty" coverage.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Does the F56 run hot like the R56 (~220F)? If so, does the tune lower the water temperature?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:11 PM
vetsvette
Yes the F56 runs hot. Mine runs 224-230 all the time. Not sure with the tune. I do know that if you turn the Max A/C on the temp will drop 60-70º in a matter of minutes.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
OK, so same as the R56 then. Maybe stage 2+ will lower the temps, not necessarily for more power but for engine/transmission longevity?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Software has been updated and operational.

We have successfully tested the flashing of a MINI F56 stock ECU via the OBD2. Yep, no need to open the ECU for unlocking; everything can be done through the OBD port. Our software has been updated (see pics)... Stay tuned for release date!

Bytetronik FlashAccess software updated to perform full OBD2 flashing w/o removing the ECU.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM
vetsvette
We have successfully tested the flashing of a MINI F56 stock ECU via the OBD2. Yep, no need to open the ECU for unlocking; everything can be done through the OBD port. Our software has been updated (see pics)... Stay tuned for release date!

Bytetronik FlashAccess software updated to perform full OBD2 flashing w/o removing the ECU.
so, what do we need to install this? Do we need a Laptop

Last edited by vetsvette; 12-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by vetsvette
so, what do we need to install this? Do we need a PLaptop
Our software runs on Windows Platform. The programming process takes less than 10 minutes.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM
vetsvette
Our software runs on Windows Platform. The programming process takes less than 10 minutes.
rats. Was hoping I could get rid of my windows laptop. Only program on it is esys. Oh well. My new Elite is on the way back for a refund. Are you gonna have a sale when you release the product?

Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Double rats, Im a Mac guy so I need to get a windoze setup for this now

I get in line for the group buy!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform