Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I typically drive my car in Mid mode (since I have not coded it yet to remember last setting) and was used to the throttle feel pre tune so that might have more to do with it.

When I tested the tune it was done in mid mode and there is a noticeable difference between that mode with and without sprint booster in throttle response (just like stock vs sprint booster).

I also like the hair trigger type feeling of very quick acceleration. You are right you definitely need to control your foot carefully as its easy to peel out but for me I mastered that pre-tune.

Best part is how quick I get off the line at a light lol there is no feeling quite like it. It takes a bit to master giving it just enough throttle input to take off quickly but not too much to spin the tires (probably similar to a real race car).

Definitely wont be for everyone but for me it was a perfect combo.

Last edited by Kevinb940; 03-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the description. I think it would be cool to try but I don't think anyone around me has one for our cars. The performance tuning scene in my area consists of about 2-3 F-series and maybe a few previous gen's. It's very very small.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have mine coded for "Sport" all the time. I have to be careful enough with that. For me, the sprint booster would be too much of a good thing.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinb940
I typically drive my car in Mid mode (since I have not coded it yet to remember last setting) and was used to the throttle feel pre tune so that might have more to do with it.

When I tested the tune it was done in mid mode and there is a noticeable difference between that mode with and without sprint booster in throttle response (just like stock vs sprint booster).

I also like the hair trigger type feeling of very quick acceleration. You are right you defiantly need to control your foot carefully as its easy to peel out but for me I mastered that pre-tune.

Best part is how quick I get off the line at a light lol there is no feeling quite like it. It takes a bit to master giving it just enough throttle input to take off quickly but not too much to spin the tires (probably similar to a real race car).

Defiantly wont be for everyone but for me it was a perfect combo.
Are you manual or auto?

Old 03-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Auto

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by Kevinb940
Auto
Gotcha. I figured that was the case. I want to try one but am leery about stalling my manual or looking like its my first time driving a stick

Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Yeah I have no idea what the sprint booster would be like on a manual car. My last 3 cars were manual but I never knew about the sprint booster until I got a mini.

I actually ordered a Sprint Booster V3 and am replacing my V2 (V3 gives you more precise control with 9 different values per mode).

Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM
pinkertonpunk
Neutral
Maybe I missed this, but I did read the entire thread before posting. We are buying a 2015 MCS and would like to get a tune so this sounds like our best option. How do the stock modes work once the reflash is done? Can it be set to default to Sport mode? Or can it use the sport throttle map in normal mode but with the exhaust flap closed and use the same map in sport but with the flap open? I drove another car and didn't like the normal mode's throttle delay so I would love to be able to use sport throttle map all the time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Always run on sport mode!!!!

I along with several others on here have our Sport mode permanently on via an app called BimmerCode.

Remember, sport mode also affects the steering weight and suspension firmness too so consider that. To me, the difference in steering with Sport mode on or off is night and day. Also, the bangs and pops are more prevalent with sport mode on.

The flap is still controlled by you regardless what mode you are in ...... even eco mode (boo)

I never had one but map switching is an option with a product called a JB4

Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 AM
pinkertonpunk
Neutral
I thought the exhaust flap was only open in sport mode. Is that incorrect? When I drove the car on the freeway it was much quieter in normal mode than in sport so I just want to be able to turn on normal mode on the freeway but would still like the throttle response of sport all the time.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:26 AM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The MCS doesn't have an exhaust flap unless you have the JCW exhaust as far as I know.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by StephenM
The MCS doesn't have an exhaust flap unless you have the JCW exhaust as far as I know.
Correct, I figured that was the case. Maybe not.

If not, the loudness you hear is due to the sport mode. That is when you will hear more exhaust sound

Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM
pinkertonpunk
Neutral
Ok, thanks guys! Still waiting for our actual car to arrive.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want great throttle response all the time, regardless of driving mode. Invest in a Sprint Booster, you wont regret it. Super easy install, and works as advertised. https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

Old 03-18-2018, 04:36 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GPMini
If you want great throttle response all the time, regardless of driving mode. Invest in a Sprint Booster, you wont regret it. Super easy install, and works as advertised. https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/
That posts sounds just like an ad for sprint booster

Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Mini_Vinnie
I thought the same thing too

Old 03-20-2018, 03:10 AM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my opinion, I reckon that a sprint booster isn't required at all.. reason being I'm always in the sport mode (thanks to bimmercode) which is already sufficient to satisfy my need for a spirited/fun drive. I will switch the car into normal or eco mode depending if I see any traffic police on the road, making sure that my remus valvetronic is fully close so that it doesn't pop. In summary, Bytronik tuning for F series is more than enough, does this sound like an ad? I think it does.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Guys I feel this thread has gotten a bit off topic ever since I posted my impressions with the tune and the combo that I liked the best.

So here is my attempt to explain things in a better manner and hopefully get things back on topic.

I have owned and used all of the following piggyback units [NM-Engineering, RaceChip Ultimate, JB4)

The tune itself is the best (for me) over all of them. I have no regrets and would 100% do it again in a heartbeat.

The tune however does not adjust throttle input mapping (gas pedal sensitivity) . You can see everything it does adjust here: https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/

So pre-tune (or) post-tune the following would still apply the same:
  • Normal Mode = less sensitive throttle input
  • Sport Mode = more sensitive throttle input

*(ignoring the other changes in these modes for the sake of this conversation)*

What does change from the tune is the amount of power you have once your throttle input is accepted (faster acceleration and quicker to top end due to more power and torque).

• If you liked how sensitive the throttle was pre-tune then the same would be true post tune.
  • If you did not like the sensitivity pre-tune then again the same would probably be true post tune.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were using a sprint booster pre-tune (and you wanted to adjust sensitivity even more than stock) | Then you will most likely still want the sprint booster post tune. It provides up to 18 levels of throttle adjustments over 2 different modes (more fine adjustment).

If you were not using a sprint booster pre-tune (and were happy with normal and sport mode sensitivity) | Then you will most likely not want the sprint booster post tune. You might also be happier using sport mode for the majority of driving (less hassle of setup and cost).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As others have mentioned you can code your car to start in Sport Mode by default. This is defiantly a great (and much cheaper) option as it effectively changes throttle input to be more sensitive all the time.

Hope this post helps explain things a bit more clearly (as I might not have been clear enough via my first impressions post).

Cheers

Last edited by Kevinb940; 03-20-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk
I thought the exhaust flap was only open in sport mode. Is that incorrect? When I drove the car on the freeway it was much quieter in normal mode than in sport so I just want to be able to turn on normal mode on the freeway but would still like the throttle response of sport all the time.
I believe this could be due to the ASD (active sound design) that's pumping fake engine sounds through the speakers - as soon as I disabled them via Bimmercode app extra sound in Sport mode was gone - I prefer it this way much more.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
can confirm it will work with VM Fusion.
Marco: On my MacBook Pro I’m running Windows 10 in VMware Fusion 10.1, and the software can’t communicate with the bytetronik USB-OBD adapter. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
spotted
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
Marco: On my MacBook Pro I’m running Windows 10 in VMware Fusion 10.1, and the software can’t communicate with the bytetronik USB-OBD adapter. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?
I had to go out and get a windows laptop from Target for less then $200.
For some reason my mac with vm stopped connecting to my MINI.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by spotted
I had to go out and get a windows laptop from Target for less then $200.
For some reason my mac with vm stopped connecting to my MINI.

Thats what I did. I deleted all the other programs on there except BT and E-sys

Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
I've done all of my flashes using a Macbook Pro running Windows 10 in Parallels with absolutely no issues.

bratling - when you hook up the USB cable you need to make sure VMWare has it active for Windows and not Mac

Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
I've done all of my flashes using a Macbook Pro running Windows 10 in Parallels with absolutely no issues.

bratling - when you hook up the USB cable you need to make sure VMWare has it active for Windows and not Mac
Thanks, I did that. Also tried it in both USB 3 and USB 2 modes. Maybe next I’ll try Parallels. If all else fails there is boot camp...

Old 03-20-2018, 05:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Thats what I did. I deleted all the other programs on there except BT and E-sys
Same here. My one and only lonely windows machine..

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Full Flash via OBD2 has arrived for the MINI-F56 Platform