Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Another legitimate Oil Catch Can question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are flaps in the valve cover to prevent this. If you are VTA there is no point in spending money on a catch can.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
There are flaps in the valve cover to prevent this. If you are VTA there is no point in spending money on a catch can.
Agreed. That's what I said:

It doesn't have to be a catch can but the BSH has an outlet at the bottom so if you already have one you'd only have to add a connector there and then a hose.

Are you sure you're reading these posts...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
The catch can idea was to capture the crankcase gasses before they vented to atmosphere in the hopes of being more environmentally friendly since, instead of being blown out into the air, some of the gases would be captured in the can, extracted, and presumably disposed of with used engine oil.

Now for the obligatory question you all knew was coming: How would an VTA system work (or would it work) on an N18? Seems to me it would simply allow you to skip a step by not having to block off the passenger outlet of the PCV.

Countryboyshane: I've really grown to love your posts.

Last edited by Hujan; 02-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
bikerbob951
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy guys, this doesn't need to become WWIII. I thought I left all the boyish arguing and namecalling behind when I left the Audi/Volkswagen community.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to run a OCC originally is because I'd rather responsibly dispose of all that nasty lung mustard than just dump it on the ground. More importantly, I don't want the car to reek of fumes... but it seems like it will do that either way.

I like the draft tube idea to help evacuate all those vapors, I'll look into that. Thanks guys.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
Agreed. That's what I said:

It doesn't have to be a catch can but the BSH has an outlet at the bottom so if you already have one you'd only have to add a connector there and then a hose.

Are you sure you're reading these posts...
I have learned you have to be very direct with members of this forum otherwise they don't know why. They like to think they need to know. "It doesn't have to be a catch can" Implying it needs to be something. If you already have one you should sell it.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I have learned you have to be very direct with members of this forum otherwise they don't know why. They like to think they need to know. "It doesn't have to be a catch can" Implying it needs to be something. If you already have one you should sell it.
Actually that's what I'd prefer to do if the VTA method turns out to be a good solution.

Would be a much easier and cleaner setup for sure.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I was doing some OCC research and came across this the other day: http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf

The designer of the shophemi can has done a version for the Mini that MC2 magazine is sourcing. It is good to see some factual information and explanation of the what's and why's of OCCs in crankcase ventilation systems.

Minor rant: I have an issue with the people who think it is OK to just vent their CCVs to the atmosphere or remove their catalytic converters. I grew up in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s, and I remember seeing the brown fog that would envelop the LA basin. I remember the days when it hurt to breathe. PCV systems and catalytic converters are there for a reason! We all breathe the same air, and we've come a long way in making our cars more efficient and less polluting. Why do some people feel it is OK to disable a couple of the key pieces of the pollution control system, just for a few more HP, or to save themselves the cost of an intake valve cleaning some years down the road? How about if I come over to your house and **** in your water supply? Rant off.

Anyway - I'm strongly considering the MC2 OCC. No OCC will get it all, but the MC2 can looks like there's some thoughtful design from experienced, knowledgeable people behind it.

The following users liked this post:
cbenz (03-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great information. Still not sure how this description specifically relates to the MINI engine. I know that the port to the intake manifold is controlled by the PCV, but not sure about the drivers side port. I saw one explanation that it vented only at boost.??? Interesting that their final design vents through the catch cans to atmosphere. Also appreciate that these obviously knowledgeable folks acknowledge that catch cans actually work. That said, they're also trying to sell a product.

Last edited by Yakatak; 02-06-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
I was doing some OCC research and came across this the other day: http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf

The designer of the shophemi can has done a version for the Mini that MC2 magazine is sourcing. It is good to see some factual information and explanation of the what's and why's of OCCs in crankcase ventilation systems.

Minor rant: I have an issue with the people who think it is OK to just vent their CCVs to the atmosphere or remove their catalytic converters. I grew up in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s, and I remember seeing the brown fog that would envelop the LA basin. I remember the days when it hurt to breathe. PCV systems and catalytic converters are there for a reason! We all breathe the same air, and we've come a long way in making our cars more efficient and less polluting. Why do some people feel it is OK to disable a couple of the key pieces of the pollution control system, just for a few more HP, or to save themselves the cost of an intake valve cleaning some years down the road? How about if I come over to your house and **** in your water supply? Rant off.

Anyway - I'm strongly considering the MC2 OCC. No OCC will get it all, but the MC2 can looks like there's some thoughtful design from experienced, knowledgeable people behind it.
You have a valid point. Even today the smog over LA is nasty. I don't vent my gasses to the atmosphere because I think its ok, I do it because I just don't care. You example of peeing in my water is a perfect example of why i don't care. You have to remember you are one person in billions, your pee wouldn't matter. If everyone peed in the water it would be an issue. Now luckily for us, cars have taken leaps and bounds in pollution reduction so I don't mind polluting a little more. My car just makes up for the lost pollution of an electric car. Im one person I really don't matter.

Ray167 (08-23-2017)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear

Interesting. A couple of relavant links:

http://www.mc2magazine.com/MC2_Oil_C...n.cfm?sc1=10,8
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-reviews.html

Not sure if anyone's tried this one yet. The popular one amongst Mini owners seems to be the BSH.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You have a valid point. Even today the smog over LA is nasty. I don't vent my gasses to the atmosphere because I think its ok, I do it because I just don't care. You example of peeing in my water is a perfect example of why i don't care. You have to remember you are one person in billions, your pee wouldn't matter. If everyone peed in the water it would be an issue. Now luckily for us, cars have taken leaps and bounds in pollution reduction so I don't mind polluting a little more. My car just makes up for the lost pollution of an electric car. Im one person I really don't matter.
Sigh. At least you are honest. I'm glad everyone doesn't have your attitude.

And I meant coming to YOUR house and peeing in YOUR water supply. Not the reservoir for the municipal water supply, but the pipe that supplies the water to your house that you drink and cook and shower and brush teeth and wash dishes with.

Ray167 (08-23-2017)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Sigh. At least you are honest. I'm glad everyone doesn't have your attitude.

And I meant coming to YOUR house and peeing in YOUR water supply. Not the reservoir for the municipal water supply, but the pipe that supplies the water to your house that you drink and cook and shower and brush teeth and wash dishes with.
Thats just rude Sir! I'm not going to come to your house and pump my exhaust into your ventilation system. So I think we can call this one even. haha. I understand what you mean and see your point. You are correct if everyone had my attitude this would be a major issue! I'm just a unique little polluting butterfly!

Edit: I actually do appreciate you. Knowing people still care is a nice thought. Helps restore a little faith in the human species.

Last edited by MNIPWR; 02-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM
uk Cooper S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold port blanking cap available in UK from Peugeot

Originally Posted by bikerbob951

So here's what I'm thinking now. Don't make fun of my MS paint skills! At least I would be catching most of the gross stuff before it goes on the street. Two questions with this set up though

1. With two inlets and one outlet, will this cause a restriction in the system? I don't believe it will, but I have no idea. The line out would probably be 1"dia. to help with flow.

2. Both valve cover ports are connected to some sort of vacuum in their stock configuration. Will the absence of significant vacuum cause an issue in this set-up?

In the Uk you can buy a blanking cap from Peugeot that is designed to fit this engine and blank the manifold port outlet at the rear of the valve cover, ( at the start of the upper yellow line on you diagram ) with another identical cap being fitted to the manifold itself. each cap costs less than $4 and you obviously remove the pipe completely.

This means you only have to deal with the fumes / water vapour that are being fed into the pre-turbo air intake pipe, either thru OCC or by somehow blanking this pipe off and venting to atmosphere.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Valve Cover Pressure (VCP) Test.

I went out and bought an extra oil cap ($10), tapped it for boost, and did some preliminary testing.

Ignore the bad noise. My exhaust needs to be adjusted, it rubs on the sub frame every once and a while.

After driving around for a bit I never experienced positive pressure. Once I started driving around 55Mph I could notice a slight vacuum of maybe half a pound. I stayed out of the boost. Once my engine is broke in I will do it again, and throw a little boost at it. Then I'll put it back to stack and test it that way as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
I think that this is what we would expect from a fresh engine. Negative pressure from the intake manifold pipe and from the venturi effect of the turbo inlet pipe, and...very little blowby. Be interesting to see what happens under boost.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That is justification, not actual logic. What you are doing is saying, 'yes pollution is a problem, but I am special and laws don't apply to me.'

Sorry to attack, not my intention. I've just been a bit depressed by how many people on this forum immediately suggest things like 'vent to the atmosphere' or 'just straight pipe it' without a second thought.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fast_eddy

That is justification, not actual logic. What you are doing is saying, 'yes pollution is a problem, but I am special and laws don't apply to me.'

Sorry to attack, not my intention. I've just been a bit depressed by how many people on this forum immediately suggest things like 'vent to the atmosphere' or 'just straight pipe it' without a second thought.
That's alright. Nothing wrong with telling people what you think. There needs to be more of it on this forum. I just want to correct you on two thing. I don't think I'm special or that the laws don't apply to me. I just don't care. And it's a fact that 1+ (-1) = 0. So someone makes up for my excess pollution.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
That's alright. Nothing wrong with telling people what you think. There needs to be more of it on this forum. I just want to correct you on two thing. I don't think I'm special or that the laws don't apply to me. I just don't care. And it's a fact that 1+ (-1) = 0. So someone makes up for my excess pollution.
You might SAY you don't care, but you keep defending it with logic that doesn't quite work, so I have a feeling you DO care!

:-)

The truth is, there are far more people who don't care, so it is impossible to rely on the minority to make up for you. You're smart... be one of the responsible ones! 250,000,0000 people who don't care + 50,000,0000 who do = (to use the previous metaphor) pee-pee in ALL of our drinking water!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I'm all for environmental awareness and appreciate those that are as well, but can we please get back on topic regarding the usefulness/uselessness of an OCC?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Haha, don't want pee in our drinking water.

[no catch can < catch can < vent to atmosphere]

In english that means that a catch can is better then no catch can but not as good as venting to the atmosphere

That is the final answer.

Last edited by MNIPWR; 02-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
That makes sense AND my comment is still on track:

OCC > nothing, but while it might be true that vent to air > OCC with respect to reducing carbon buildup, it may not be the most responsible decision for a DD (or just for a person concerned with the environment, or at least not violating environmental law).

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear

[no catch can < catch can]
Debatable based on some of the previous comments.

[catch can < vent to atmosphere]
Seems to be the general concensus, environmental issues notwithstanding...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Just another thought... in this 'ranking' of options, would OCC with boost trap/pcv delete be > OCC alone? At first I just assumed one would have to block the pcv for the occ to be effective, but I've read a few threads where people report problems with the pcv delete...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
One catch can, it should be blocked. Or run two cans.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fast_eddy
That makes sense AND my comment is still on track:

OCC > nothing, but while it might be true that vent to air > OCC with respect to reducing carbon buildup, it may not be the most responsible decision for a DD (or just for a person concerned with the environment, or at least not violating environmental law).
For those who care at least a little bit, there is the fore mentioned, but not much discussed, idea to route the valve cover vents through an OCC (with or without pvc delete) and THEN to atmosphere. No oil on your valves or in your IC and hopefully not much pee in your drinking water.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Another legitimate Oil Catch Can question...