Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, that programming is still built into the ECU. The 92+ maps are programmed to get the most out of that octane, and if ran with lower fuel, will have to pull timing.

Stock maps are made for the lowest octane possible, and aren't necessarily programed to take advantage of higher octane fuel like our maps are.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
If the knock sensor programming is still active with the 92+ map, wouldn't it still retard the ignition timing so that the engine would'n't suffer from pre-ignition, if 91 octane fuel is used? I'm pretty sure not everyone keeps their Access Port in the car, so they could load a different map, if they can't get 92 octane gas.

Dave

Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The map needs to be changed because when the car knocks, it only turns down timing. Our 91 octane maps actually turn down timing, boost and fuel for the lower octane.

Usually if a person is driving in the same state, they have the same high octane fuel available to them.

If someone is driving out of state, or in rural areas and they are not sure which octane of fuel will be avliable, I recommend keeping the AccessPORT on them, so they can change the map if needed.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
OK, I got it!

Thanks, Chris

Dave

Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
OK, I got it!

Thanks, Chris

Dave
Interesting question Dave! Looks like traveling with an AP is required if we take long trips, like Seattle to San Diego to Milwaukee and back across Canada...

Stephen

Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where does the AP pull it's oil temp data from?

I noticed my oil temp on the AP shows 235 yet my Marshall gauge shows 205. Why is there such a difference b/w the two sources? My gauge sensor is located in the oil pan.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Do i need to email you guys and get updated stage I/II maps when I install the Riss racing catless downpipe? Or do the preset ones come with the o2 sensor coded against?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Performance Angst

I noticed my oil temp on the AP shows 235 yet my Marshall gauge shows 205. Why is there such a difference b/w the two sources? My gauge sensor is located in the oil pan.
The Access port gets the temperature at the head from the MINIs temperature probe at the thermostat. The Craven hot link and Marshal gage temperature probe is in the radiator hose, which is some distance from the head. It will read a bit cooler and it will be slower to read temperatures, because the thermostat has to open before hot water can reach the temperature probe in the hot link.

Dave

Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
The Access port gets the temperature at the head from the MINIs temperature probe at the thermostat. The Craven hot link and Marshal gage temperature probe is in the radiator hose, which is some distance from the head. It will read a bit cooler and it will be slower to read temperatures, because the thermostat has to open before hot water can reach the temperature probe in the hot link.

Dave
Dave: The Hotlink is for water and mine reads 221 degrees when the fans come on. The "Tapless Adapter" for the oil pressure (and I would guess the oil temp) is on the head for the R-56(2009 Cooper). I used mine for OIL PRESSURE. I am not sure I like where Cravenspeed gets/executes readings for the 2011 R56 "refresh" N-18 engine; to much do-do to vibrate!

I don't know how the AP gets its readings for oil temp. If it did oil pressure in real time then I would bet there would be many more oil temp gauge setups seen. Cravenspeed aims you toward the drain plug adapter method...

I have read many discussions on where to get oil temp and some folks put sending units on an oil plug drain, which seem very vulnerable to me! I think if the pressure is holding (the new synthetic oils will taking a very high temp) then don't worry.

Last edited by SMOG; 11-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 AM
SMOG
5th Gear

Where are you getting OIL TEMP from so the Marshall Gauge can display it?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Aw crap! I was reading oil temp and seeing water temp! Will, "It was early!" work as an excuse? Silly me!

Dave

Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Aw crap! I was reading oil temp and seeing water temp! Will, "It was early!" work as an excuse? Silly me!

Dave
Wait until you retire, it gets worse!!!!

It starts to get weird when the discussions are mixed between the First Gen MINI's, Sencond Gen MINI's and the Second Gen Refresh MINI's and then people do not specify which MINI they are inquiring about or talking about and they do not have a "Garage" or "Profile" that displays their MINI

Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I get my Marshall gage oil temperature from right next to the factory oil temperature probe, using Craven's Tapless Adapter. I mounted the oil pressure sender remotely, using a couple feet of 1/4" hydraulic hose. The hose screws into the tapless adapter, making room for the Marshall oil temperature probe.

Dave

Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
I get my Marshall gage oil temperature from right next to the factory oil temperature probe, using Craven's Tapless Adapter. I mounted the oil pressure sender remotely, using a couple feet of 1/4" hydraulic hose. The hose screws into the tapless adapter, making room for the Marshall oil temperature probe.

Dave
That makes it relatively easy since your vehicle is the pre-refresh engine; that is a good way to do it. I wish I could do it that way, but darn they moved the sending units down near the oil filter on the block!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SMOG
Interesting question Dave! Looks like traveling with an AP is required if we take long trips, like Seattle to San Diego to Milwaukee and back across Canada...

Stephen
If I was going to be driving somewhere where I wasn't sure about the octane, I'd just do a reflash with a 91 octane map just to be safe. Unless I was going to hit the track somewhere, then I'd just bring it along.

The reading on the AccessPORT is the reading for the ECU, I'm not sure exactly where it gets the reading from, probably the oil filter housing.

Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
Do i need to email you guys and get updated stage I/II maps when I install the Riss racing catless downpipe? Or do the preset ones come with the o2 sensor coded against?
You do not have to contact us for those maps. Those are available by doing an update using the AP Manager. If you don't see these maps on your AP, uninstall it from your car, do an update, and reinstall it on your car.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered mine today! Thanks for holiday price break

Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Where are you getting OIL TEMP from so the Marshall Gauge can display it?
My OIL temp sender is mounted in an adapter that screws into the oil drain plug threads.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
My OIL temp sender is mounted in an adapter that screws into the oil drain plug threads.
Thanks! It would read lower temps since it is the coldest part part of the oil path.

Have you ever scrapped that thing on anything?

S.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Thanks! It would read lower temps since it is the coldest part part of the oil path.

Have you ever scrapped that thing on anything?

S.
Not yet, it really doesn't hang down very low. But after a two hour road trip I'd think the temp in the pan would match the temp of the ECU sensor?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
...and the quick call to verify everything was in order.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Not yet, it really doesn't hang down very low. But after a two hour road trip I'd think the temp in the pan would match the temp of the ECU sensor?

That's a good thing! Yes, the oil in the pan is much cooler than the cylinder head ( where the OEM reads temps) oil galley's. You can touch your oil dipstick when the motor is up to operating temps but I would bet that putting your fingers on the cylinder head would burn you.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Bravo Zulu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by redduc
Ordered mine today! Thanks for holiday price break
Hate spending the money now when the mapping is still not available for '11s or '12s yet. It'd be nice to know if the big "break" is imminent, else I'll keep my money for now.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bravo Zulu
Hate spending the money now when the mapping is still not available for '11s or '12s yet. It'd be nice to know if the big "break" is imminent, else I'll keep my money for now.
Very wise decision!

I bought my AP in December of last year because they said on their web site that they projected having the Tune available by Jan15 of 2011; still waiting. They have my money, have no desire to refund it and I have nothing but a device I cannot use and a hole in my bank account. Thanks Alta...

It has never been plugged into the car and mated to it but I have updated the maps on it in anticipation of a break through at any time. Still waiting....

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo Zulu
Very wise decision!

I bought my AP in December of last year because they said on their web site that they projected having the Tune available by Jan15 of 2011; still waiting. They have my money, have no desire to refund it and I have nothing but a device I cannot use and a hole in my bank account. Thanks Alta...

It has never been plugged into the car and mated to it but I have updated the maps on it in anticipation of a break through at any time. Still waiting....
+1

Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Very wise decision!

SMOG,

Sorry for the confusion on the compatibility of the AccessPORT for the 2011 MCS. I have already corresponded with you through email, but I wanted everyone else to be aware that we are willing to take the AccessPORT back as long as the AccessPORT is in brand new condition and not used.

We are still working on compatibility on the 2011 MCS, but we don't have a ETA at this point.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread