Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stan, not that we know of. I still recommend removing the map a day or two before taking the car into the dealer to make sure the ECU is fully learned.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Maltese
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting post because this was already addressed... sorry

Last edited by Maltese; 05-03-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Maltese
This is a little concerning because I was told that your system would work just fine with my 11 jcw... after I had placed my order by you. So... did I just drop nearly a grand and will not be able to use the system for who knows how many months or? I'm a little confused and shocked.
The '11 JCW uses the old engine. The '11 MCS is a new engine and therefore a new ECU to be cracked. You're fine.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
nykwan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by phinzup
The '11 JCW uses the old engine. The '11 MCS is a new engine and therefore a new ECU to be cracked. You're fine.
^^ This.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about the accessPORT itself! I found an accessPORT device at a tuning company nearby, however it states it's for the Nissan 350z & 370z... Perhaps the cable is different, but the price is only $495...

Can anyone explain to me if there will be any difference in devices concerning software/firmware or anything like that? Because if there is not I'll be ordering it right away!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Alwyn
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about the accessPORT itself! I found an accessPORT device at a tuning company nearby, however it states it's for the Nissan 350z & 370z... Perhaps the cable is different, but the price is only $495...

Can anyone explain to me if there will be any difference in devices concerning software/firmware or anything like that? Because if there is not I'll be ordering it right away!
There's a massive difference... the ECU. It's like trying to put a 350Z ECU into a Mini, it just wouldn't work. Each AP is specificly programmed for each vehicle and will ONLY work for whatever vehicle it is prorammed for.

If you think about it, what does a AP do? It reprograms the ECU. It changes a lot of the characteristics of the engine... in short, you can't use an AP programmed to change the characteristics of engine A with engine B. Even if engine A is in car type 1, it won't work for engine A in car type 2. Example would be, using an AP for a R56 with a R60.

Hope that helped a bit.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Alwyn
Hey guys,

The AccessPORT is actually different, sorry! The internals of the AccessPORT and software are different to work on the different car, that's why you can not send in a SUB-001 AccessPORT to COBB to convert it to a MIN-001.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
There's a massive difference... the ECU. It's like trying to put a 350Z ECU into a Mini, it just wouldn't work. Each AP is specificly programmed for each vehicle and will ONLY work for whatever vehicle it is prorammed for.

If you think about it, what does a AP do? It reprograms the ECU. It changes a lot of the characteristics of the engine... in short, you can't use an AP programmed to change the characteristics of engine A with engine B. Even if engine A is in car type 1, it won't work for engine A in car type 2. Example would be, using an AP for a R56 with a R60.

Hope that helped a bit.
Thanks! I was just wondering, as it is just a little piece of programming within the device itself concerning what ECU it can control, whether a quick firmware update could do the trick as well

@ALTA_Chris:

Thanks! That clears it up completely...!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just received a new improved Stage 1 map for my MCSa and it fixed the problem with the jerkey shifting and letting off boost then getting back on hard! unbelievable! Im very pleased! Car feels JUST LIKE STOCK SHIFTING IN SPORT MODE except with waaayyyy more pull!!!

Thanks ALTA guys, great job!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Nice! Happy motoring!!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Nice! Happy motoring!!!!
You guys should consider including that map as a default on the AP when you get it for all the MCSa guys...

Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fast2ghl
You guys should consider including that map as a default on the AP when you get it for all the MCSa guys...
+1

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just received a new improved Stage 1 map for my MCSa and it fixed the problem with the jerkey shifting and letting off boost then getting back on hard! unbelievable! Im very pleased! Car feels JUST LIKE STOCK SHIFTING IN SPORT MODE except with waaayyyy more pull!!!

Thanks ALTA guys, great job!
Hey, I want this map too! I emailed Jeff, let's hope he replies soon, hehe. I still have the original maps from what ... August of last year.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
We would if it happened to every auto transmission owner, but so far it doesn't seem like it is. So for now we will email them when needed.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
We would if it happened to every auto transmission owner, but so far it doesn't seem like it is. So for now we will email them when needed.
fair enough.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Duplicate post

Last edited by jasoncolorado; 05-09-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
My 2011 S just arrived at the dealership. I need an accessport for it NAO.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
My 2011 S just arrived at the dealership. I need an accessport for it NAO.
We, european guys with 2011 cooper S, want it too!!!!!!!! If u start making something i already have about 10-15 ppl ready to buy it!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Be careful people. MINI will void your warranty if they here you have tried a programer even if they can not prove it. PDX MINI did it to me after I broke down headed to CA and the tune had not been on the car for 6 weeks. They refuse to put why they will not repair my car in writting and refuse to give a detailed estimate of the repair. All got was $8630.12 to repair and not a word of what that includes. MINI Sux!!! Be careful. There are laws to protect us but MINI seems to think they do not apply to them. Just a warning. The tech at MINI PDX (Chris) saw I had tried a Jan tune at MINI Thunder II and they are holding my car hostage in PDX and not communicating with me. I have my dealer involved along with the Attorney General's from WA and OR. Not fun.
Welcome to MINI world of customer service.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
If I mod my car, I *expect* my warranty to be void and I expect to have to replace the broken stuff on my own dime. Anything I get out of the manufacturer and/or dealer is a bonus. You play, you pay. Didn't stop me from doing the full Cobb on the Scooby, the supercharger on the Miata and won't stop me from doing the full Alta on the MINI. If I expected warranty coverage, I'd keep the car stock, and stock is boring.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
^^^^ This

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
You need to give us more info. What is wrong with your car? What did it do? It would seem to me that they would have to prove that you actually installed a tune and not just talked about it. Did they detect that you installed a tune or just found out in another way?

Larry

Originally Posted by Island maser
Be careful people. MINI will void your warranty if they here you have tried a programer even if they can not prove it. PDX MINI did it to me after I broke down headed to CA and the tune had not been on the car for 6 weeks. They refuse to put why they will not repair my car in writting and refuse to give a detailed estimate of the repair. All got was $8630.12 to repair and not a word of what that includes. MINI Sux!!! Be careful. There are laws to protect us but MINI seems to think they do not apply to them. Just a warning. The tech at MINI PDX (Chris) saw I had tried a Jan tune at MINI Thunder II and they are holding my car hostage in PDX and not communicating with me. I have my dealer involved along with the Attorney General's from WA and OR. Not fun.
Welcome to MINI world of customer service.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cop1406
You need to give us more info. What is wrong with your car? What did it do? It would seem to me that they would have to prove that you actually installed a tune and not just talked about it. Did they detect that you installed a tune or just found out in another way?

Larry
He did.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ini-today.html

Originally Posted by phinzup
If I mod my car, I *expect* my warranty to be void and I expect to have to replace the broken stuff on my own dime. Anything I get out of the manufacturer and/or dealer is a bonus. You play, you pay. Didn't stop me from doing the full Cobb on the Scooby, the supercharger on the Miata and won't stop me from doing the full Alta on the MINI. If I expected warranty coverage, I'd keep the car stock, and stock is boring.
+1

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I guess it really is a crap shoot. You could fight MINI and make them prove that it was the tune that killed your car. But do you have enough money and time to fight the giant, I know I don't.....

I guess no matter what ALTA says, it's still you and not them with the broken car and the fight on your hands. Caveat Emptor my friends..

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy

Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
The problem relevant here appears to be...

that while the tuning may not be detectable directly as long as you set it fully back to stock and unlink the AP (what Alta has said historically), it may be that it really IS detectable indirectly.

When you work through the sad now four-page long post that recounts the history, you will find the dealer/Mini claimed an over rev., and the owner says he hadn't run the tune either for long or in some weeks. Well, if you use a device that tunes the car that permits a higher rev limit and that rev limit is exceeded, then indirectly it is actually detectable for the whole life of the car. Unclear what else Mini stores permanently, but rev overruns is one of them. And given as one example their V8 M3's were not so charitably named "Mt. Vesuvius" for their propensity to erupt spontaneously and had similar debates about over rev'ing, no surprise they would be tracking and disputing the issue.

Unfortunately in the underlying case, apparently the engine melt down doesn't really seem to have much to do with over revs (like you might guess with broken valves, thrown rods, etc.) but rather what seems like a manufacturing defect, weak piston, (lean) fuel problem or cooling failure since it was a piston burn through.

There is also another element to the story (with a variety of sharp words around it) concerning web posts on Boards like these; can raise ultimate questions about whether both tuning AND any posting about it are each risky. Unfortunately, that posting part may in turn drive down the quality of information out there if it chills the discussion.

Originally Posted by cop1406

Larry

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread