Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nykwan
I wont' even get my car for a month, but I've pretty much read this entire thread already.

I know everyone says you can reflash it back to stock before taking it back to the dealer, and noone should be able to tell its ever been on there. And it would work for most routine maintenance or minor issues where you need to take the car in.
But I just want to know, has anyone ever been in the situation where maybe your car just dies on the side of the road or somewhere, and you need it towed to the dealer. But maybe the state of the car won't let you reflash it back or maybe you don't have the AP with you. How did you handle that?

I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I buy anything, esp while in the warranty period.

In that situation, the dealer can take the car with our tune and it will be OK, unless they update the ECU. If they update the ECU, then the AccessPORT won't recognize your car. You would then have to send your AccessPORT to COBB to have it reset. As long as the dealer wrote in their invoice that they updated your ECU, then COBB will do that service for free.

Originally Posted by Plumb757
Hi Alta/Chris,
Ive installed the access port on my 09 JCW Clubman and what a ride I have now. Its amazing how much more torque and HP I have now. Im another very satisfied ALTA customer. Only thing Ive run into is the minor hunting idle symptom. I get the idle fluctuation constantly while waiting at lights and driving to work/around town. Im currently running the Stage 2 map since I have cat back exhaust & Cold air intake on my JCW Clubman. Wondering if I could get a fix for the idle hunting issue. Other that that, the access port is Incredible. AWESOME

We should be able to make a map that will get rid of that, just email me your name and the title of the map that you are running, including the ECU, and we can send a new map. Thanks! maps@altaperformance.com

Originally Posted by Black56S
Anyone?
We can do that, send me an email with the map that you're currently running, and we can make a new map for what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by SnugNuts
I just picked up this mini today

I've been browsing and looking at the alta accessport, and i know for a fact thats an alta intake, and im guessing that's an alta exhaust. Is there anyway to tell if there is an alta map on the car with out having to pay for the access port?
The only way to tell would be to install a boost gauge.

one other question, The cat was gutted and is throwing a CEL, will I be able to turn off the CEL with the AP? Ohh and just ordered my AP
The AP will be able to turn it off , depending on the code. Do you know what code you're getting?

Originally Posted by BlckJCWGhst
Chris Man Thanx For The AP ! Just Got Back From The Big Island And Will Be Picking Up My Car Tomorrow And Throwing On The Stage 3 Map At The Dealer !!! Should Be A Good Drive Home Ha Ha
Cool, have fun!!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 AM
11cooperS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made a best offer on eBay for an Alta AP from a vendor and they accepted, but then when I mentioned I have a 2011 Cooper s they made it seem like the AP won't work for my car. After looking at alta's website, this seems to be the case. Bummer

I was also planning on getting a down pipe after the AP but keeping my stock exhaust for noise/appearance/etc reasons. Is there a map for stock with down pipe only? I have the Alta panel filter I key pose but it probably doesn't make a difference.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 11cooperS
I made a best offer on eBay for an Alta AP from a vendor and they accepted, but then when I mentioned I have a 2011 Cooper s they made it seem like the AP won't work for my car. After looking at alta's website, this seems to be the case. Bummer

I was also planning on getting a down pipe after the AP but keeping my stock exhaust for noise/appearance/etc reasons. Is there a map for stock with down pipe only? I have the Alta panel filter I key pose but it probably doesn't make a difference.
Thanks for the post. The 11+ JCW is compatible, the 11+ S models aren't. Sorry.

Mapping is available for lots of combos, but until the 11+ is released I can't say for sure what mapping will be for those models.

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Random thought I had.. if I have a AP V2 from a subaru, can I send it in and have it redone with Alta tuning stuff for my mini?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
Random thought I had.. if I have a AP V2 from a subaru, can I send it in and have it redone with Alta tuning stuff for my mini?
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, they aren't the same guts and not an option. Sorry!

But the HP / TRQ gain is certainly worth selling that one, and paying the difference for the R56 ALTA AccessPORT!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, they aren't the same guts and not an option. Sorry!

But the HP / TRQ gain is certainly worth selling that one, and paying the difference for the R56 ALTA AccessPORT!
Oh dont worry I will be getting the Alta AP, I am just worried about tuning when I send my turbo out to have different size wheels thrown in it.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
Oh dont worry I will be getting the Alta AP, I am just worried about tuning when I send my turbo out to have different size wheels thrown in it.

Thanks for the reply! We have the Billet Turbo Upgrade for the R56 and have a bunch of mapping to go with it, so you might be surprised!!!

Keep me posted!

Adam @ ALTA

Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dez
Accessport arrived ... Multiple unsuccessful flash attempts :( ... Coupled with cruise control failed warning light and now showing a cel. Eating dinner then attempting again.

Anyone else have this happen?
Got mine today.

I updated the firmware and then followed the instructions for the install. I received the error stating Vehicle Not Recognized. Followed the direction to download and am prepared to send the map to Alta this evening. I then unplugged and got the Cruise Control warning light and a seatbelt warning light.

Please tell me I don't have to go to the dealer to reset the seatbelt light and cruise control failed warning light.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Sanderskog,

Did you start the car and it gave you those lights?

For the AP, try doing the beta update, to get there, in the AP Manager, click on options, and check "check for beta update" and try loading the AP on the car again. If it doesn't work, send me the ECU and we'll get it taken care of ASAP.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Yup. The codes came up after I unhooked the AP, removed the key for a bit, and then started the car.

I'll try your suggestions in a bit.

Todd

Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Beta update gave me the same results (Not Recognized, seat belt light, and cruise control fail alert).

I just sent the files from my user name @comcast.net

Thanks for the help Chris. I'm hoping to get it loaded before a big meet on Saturday.

Todd

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
We'll get it figured out tomorrow Todd, it's not normal for the seat belt light, try resetting the ECU with the AP if you can, hopefully that'll get rid of the code.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
combfilter
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the reply! We have the Billet Turbo Upgrade for the R56 and have a bunch of mapping to go with it, so you might be surprised!!!

Keep me posted!

Adam @ ALTA
Adam.

Where is this upgrade purchase or details about the turbo internals upgrade on your website. I've looked under r56 areas up and down and can't find anything.

thanks,

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
Hey Adam or Chris,

This question is in regards to the Sport Mode button on an '11 JCW and your AccessPORT - is there a way to keep the normal setting of the JCW stock, while assigning the Sport Mode button your Stage 1 tune?

I already have my AccessPORT but Iam waiting to finish the break in period before updating the ECU.

Thanks.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; 04-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by combfilter
Adam.

Where is this upgrade purchase or details about the turbo internals upgrade on your website. I've looked under r56 areas up and down and can't find anything.

thanks,
CLICK HERE for some info and if you decide you would like to purchase one, just let me know!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin
Hey Adam or Chris,

This question is in regards to the Sport Mode button on an '11 JCW and your AccessPORT - is there a way to keep the normal setting of the JCW stock, while assigning the Sport Mode button your Stage 1 tune?

I already have my AccessPORT but Iam waiting to finish the break in period before updating the ECU.

Thanks.

We can do that, the "stock" tune wouldn't be exactly the same as stock, but we can make it as close as we can.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
We can do that, the "stock" tune wouldn't be exactly the same as stock, but we can make it as close as we can.
That would be amazing - how would I go about getting that done?

I really like the option of having the better gas mileage stock tune available with the option of your Stage 1 tune as the Sport Mode. Assuming of course the less powerful stock tune gets better gas mileage than your upgraded Stage 1 tune for the '11 JCW.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

I really like the option of having the better gas mileage stock tune available with the option of your Stage 1 tune as the Sport Mode. Assuming of course the less powerful stock tune gets better gas mileage than your upgraded Stage 1 tune for the '11 JCW.
my mileage increase with the tune - after I started driving "normal" again.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Browsed this thread for a while back but I unsubscribed a while ago, I know I've missed a lot and don't have the time to read through the last 40 pages of reply's to find out.

Did you guys at ALTA ever get the burble and pop back into the exhaust of the 2007-2009 cars (I specifically have a 2008)

and apparently (saw it above) can run a two stage system off with the sport button. Two different "maps" for whether sport mode is on or off, I am quite interested in that.

Thanks, I still need to get one of theses.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor

Just email me your info, I'll need the exact name of the of the map you have loaded, including the ECU number. The "stock" map will really be just a detuned version of the ALTA map, not the stock map though. The normal mode and the S mode maps are actually the same map, except for the load settings, which determines the amount of boost.

Our ALTA map will give you good mileage as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You could call the "Normal" mode, "Valet" mode!

Dave

Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Stryker305
1st Gear
Adam I have a R 56 jcw 2009
Mods are your rear sway, your cai with silicone hoses, h&r springs, kazera rims 18"

My question is this if I get your tune is it highly suggested to get a fmic,
Or not, I do not track my car just drive it hard now and then. And how many HP does one gain ? 20 or 40 ?

Last question if I get the tune would that be considered stage 1 or 2 what's the difference?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
I just tried to install the accessport into my 2008 Mini Cooper S and it kept saying that my car was not supported.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
Ok finally got it, but it only let me install the stage 0 map. how do I get the stage 1 map?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Ok finally got it, but it only let me install the stage 0 map. how do I get the stage 1 map?
Be sure that the firmware is updated, also check the list of maps. The Stage One should be on there. If there are any lingering issues tonight, just ring Chris up in the am at 503-693-1702 and we will get you patched up ASAP!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread