Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Raymazing
My mods are in my signature. Im running your stage 3 tps map for 92 or better. Because my car has cams and a bigger turbo i often throw CELs most of which i leave because they are misfire codes from the cams. those dont put the car into limp mode. i do however throw a couple codes for charging pressure min or max which put the car into limp so i use the AP to clear them. I plugged the AP up to my PC and opened the Cobb AP Manager and hit check for updates. the AP did its thing and i put it back in the car. I threw a code pulled the AP out to clear it and when i got to the clear codes option it wouldnt work. when i push the center button to clear it jumps up to the reset ecu option. the center button works on the other menus so i think its a minor firmware glitch but im not sure how to remedy it.

EDIT: Uploaded beta firmware and it fixed the problem thanks for being so responsive. Can you guys build me a custom map. Jan at RMW has proven to be unreliable. I would really like to have my car dialed in. Thanks again...
You can't expect to run cams and a GT28RS on that stg 3 tune....

I wouldn't even drive the car like that. You haven't had it tuned?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car actually runs really well. 252hp 248tq on a heartbreaker of a mustang dyno prob hit 300 or close to it on a dyno jet. Anyway you obviously haven't tried to get a custom tune for your car so you don't know. I spent months trying to get Jan to map my car which he just stopped answering emails. He was in Florida and still no dice. He's the only tuner that travels. If you drove my car you wouldn't be saying any of that nonsense. If anyone knows how to get someone here to tune it by all means let me know.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ray,

No problem, that's strange that it was giving you issues, what ECU type do you have? I'll email COBB on Monday and see if they've heard of that problem before. We can for sure make a map for you, I'll just need some logs, and Jeff can make a custom map for you that may work a little better. Are you in Florida? If you are, there's a shop named Japtrix that can do custom tunes for the Mini using the AP.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dallas JCW
"I definitely agree about the AccessPORT. I'm running the stage 3 tune and it's insane."

That was a response to one of my posts in a different thread. I asked him what mods he had, and he said he had a number on order, but his JCW sounded stock at this point.

My question is:

I have a stock factory JCW (2009 / June 2008 build). I added the airbox from the JCW dealer installed kit (large cone replacing the flat panel of the factory JCW). I'm putting in the Alta BOV spring upgrade on Monday.

I currently run the 92 Octane Stage 1 map for my JCW. With my current mods (nothing much really), what would happen if I ran a Stage 2 or Stage 3 map? Is there any benefit - or, should I continue to run the Stage 1 map? I'm perfectly content at the moment, and the car is really fast, so I'm inclined to leave it where it currently is. I'm just curious what running the other maps does.

Thanks
Dallas,

There has been a lot of confusion about what maps to run, even though I call every customer that we sell an AccessPORT to. But the AccessPORTs that are sold by other companies don't get the same attention that we give them. It's very important to run the correct map for the modifications that you are running. If you run a stage 2 or 3 map on a stock car, it could give you problems with CELs and the car going into limp home mode. If your car is stock, with an intake, boost tube, or catback exhaust for example, you can only run a stage 1 map.

The maps are made to take advantage of modifications done to the car, not just the power the map is going to make. I think that may be where the confusion is coming in.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Minichunksnj
2nd Gear
$$$

Since i bought your Front mount, pre IC charge pipe,Intake, boost tubes and H&R springs from you guys is their any type of discount i can get

Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by dez; 05-10-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM
dez
4th Gear

Last edited by dez; 05-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Dallas JCW
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Dallas,

There has been a lot of confusion about what maps to run, even though I call every customer that we sell an AccessPORT to. But the AccessPORTs that are sold by other companies don't get the same attention that we give them. It's very important to run the correct map for the modifications that you are running. If you run a stage 2 or 3 map on a stock car, it could give you problems with CELs and the car going into limp home mode. If your car is stock, with an intake, boost tube, or catback exhaust for example, you can only run a stage 1 map.

The maps are made to take advantage of modifications done to the car, not just the power the map is going to make. I think that may be where the confusion is coming in.
Thanks Chris - you all have been great, and I love my car again after getting the AP. It just wasn't that impressive, and now it really gets up and goes. I can't wait unitl I wear my tires out so that I can get a set of really good non runflats and see what this car can do.

By the way, I plugged my AP in again, and I've had ZERO codes. I've never had a CEL (check engine light), so I'm just going to leave the 92 octane Stage 1 map on until you all tell me differently.

You all have provided excellent customer service, and the product has worked flawlessly so far, so thank you very much. The information you all provided wasn't confusing, only when someone else said they were running the Stage 3 map with no upgrades did I get confused. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Raymazing
The car actually runs really well. 252hp 248tq on a heartbreaker of a mustang dyno prob hit 300 or close to it on a dyno jet. Anyway you obviously haven't tried to get a custom tune for your car so you don't know. I spent months trying to get Jan to map my car which he just stopped answering emails. He was in Florida and still no dice. He's the only tuner that travels. If you drove my car you wouldn't be saying any of that nonsense. If anyone knows how to get someone here to tune it by all means let me know.
Well don't get your panties in a bunch...

I haven't tried to get a custom tune? I've only run custom tunes. I was the 2nd R56 in the country that was custom tuned. And i've had nearly 30 custom tunes since....in addition to the entire day I spent on the dyno getting it tuned with my JCW K03. And I make more torque than yours....lol

Did you pay Jan to tune it? Why is he obligated to tune it? And now that I realize you're from Florida, and have a GT28 Clubman......I'm well aware of your car. It has quite the reputation....

Sorry didn't want to be rude, but right back at cha....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 AM
dez
4th Gear

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
For both of you guys with the stuck on updating screen, could you try updating using the normal update? Usually the beta update is only for testing new ECUs. If that doesn't work, give me a call, 503-693-1702, or send me a PM, thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
dez
4th Gear

Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Dez,

I'm not sure about the datalog, since I don't think anyone's made one for that long! It must have been an hour or so of logging, that's a lot of numbers!

What's the ECU type you have, when you do a datalog, it should be recording more than 64 MPH. Also could you send me a log showing that topping out at 64MPH?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
dez
4th Gear

Last edited by dez; 05-10-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Ok, so I just got my AP and took it for a test drive. Took about 3 minutes to update the firmware and then 3-4 minutes to hook up and flash the ECU.

When I started the car, the burble of the exhaust sounded a tad bit louder. I definitely feel a more responsive and linear throttle as if in a sort of a sport mode. When you hit about 3-5000 RPM range you can really feel the car pulling harder and it pushes you back in your seat. I even hear the turbo creating a louder whine now at 4000+ RPM that I did not notice before (or maybe I was just driving more aggressively because I got the AP!) Unfortunately living in the city, the west side highway is my only area to let loose. I will have more time on the weekend to let the coop stretch its legs a bit.

Right now I'm running the canned Stage 1 92 octane tps Map. I'm getting the RMW tune next tuesday which should help up the power a bit more and finally divulge my actual whp.

I did notice the rev needle meandering up and down a bit more than usual (maybe like 1-2mm, nothing too noticeable) between 6-700 rpms at idle and I can hear it too, but it is subtle. Other than that I am happy but too soon to tell about the increased power. The responsive throttle took a little getting used to and I was driving a bit more jolty for the first few minutes.

After I get out there and drive more later during the week I will have more feedback for you all, Cheers.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
How long until the EURO/Aus spec comes out???

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Turtle,

We don't have an ETA on the Euro car compatibility, sorry. If we are able to get it to work reliably, we will post it in the front page of this thread and on our website, thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates on the wondering idle? Is this a big deal and potentially difficult to fix?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Turtle,

We don't have an ETA on the Euro car compatibility, sorry. If we are able to get it to work reliably, we will post it in the front page of this thread and on our website, thanks!
Ok thanks. I have been hanging out for this tune for so long. Is it likely to come out this year or even at all? If not i will have to get the RMW dimsport but it dosen't have as many nice features as yours thats why i have been waiting for so long. I would rather get the AP but i can't wait forever.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
Just received my Accessport from RMW....already tried Stage 1 map with the super linear throttle sensitivity and Stage 2 map with stock throttle. Stage 2 is definitely a big difference from stock. Stage 1 was very responsive, almost kinda jumpy at part/light throttle, I guess I need to get used to it.

I am guessing these are all Alta tunes that come pre-loaded?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Just received my Accessport from RMW....already tried Stage 1 map with the super linear throttle sensitivity and Stage 2 map with stock throttle. Stage 2 is definitely a big difference from stock. Stage 1 was very responsive, almost kinda jumpy at part/light throttle, I guess I need to get used to it.

Thanks for the purchase!

When we send the AP out, it has the ALTA Library of Maps in it. (Or through the firmware update.) When you buy from RMW, we don't know what he includes or has added / removed.

You may want to choose one of the ALTA maps, if you are actually running a RMW map and compare the differences.

As always, we will help you with any mapping that you need!

Thanks for choosing ALTA and enjoy the power!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the purchase!

When we send the AP out, it has the ALTA Library of Maps in it. (Or through the firmware update.) When you buy from RMW, we don't know what he includes or has added / removed.

You may want to choose one of the ALTA maps, if you are actually running a RMW map and compare the differences.

As always, we will help you with any mapping that you need!

Thanks for choosing ALTA and enjoy the power!
Yeah, I'm not quite sure if there is an RMW canned tune pre-loaded on this Accessport. The map names are pretty generic, nothing that says RMW on them.

I actually haven't yet connected my Accessport to my computer for firmware updates, I just unboxed it, flashed my Mini and tried different maps.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Yeah, I'm not quite sure if there is an RMW canned tune pre-loaded on this Accessport. The map names are pretty generic, nothing that says RMW on them.

I actually haven't yet connected my Accessport to my computer for firmware updates, I just unboxed it, flashed my Mini and tried different maps.
Sounds like the ALTA maps. If you feel a change is needed, email Maps@ALTAPerformance.com include your mods list, daytime tel#, year, model and trans.

Let them know the concern and we will go from there.

Happy to help!

Adam @ ALTA

Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Augie05
Any updates on the wondering idle? Is this a big deal and potentially difficult to fix?
Augie, we do have a fix for this, if you're having the problem, send me an email, and let me know the name of the map that you're running, and I can send out a map that should fix it.

Originally Posted by turtle343
Ok thanks. I have been hanging out for this tune for so long. Is it likely to come out this year or even at all? If not i will have to get the RMW dimsport but it dosen't have as many nice features as yours thats why i have been waiting for so long. I would rather get the AP but i can't wait forever.
We're still not sure yet, most likely if we are able to get it to work, it's going to be at least 6 months or longer before we will have the Euro AP ready, sorry!

Please keep in mind that the stages are for specific mods. If your car is relatively stock(catback exhaust, cold air intake, BOV, etc) you should be running a stage 1 map. You only should run a stage 2 map if you have a 3" turbo back exhaust installed. If you run a stage 2 map on stage 1 mods, you will have problems with CELs, and drivability.

Last edited by ALTA_Chris; 04-07-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:58 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
Please keep in mind that the stages are for specific mods. If your car is relatively stock(catback exhaust, cold air intake, BOV, etc) you should be running a stage 1 map. You only should run a stage 2 map if you have a 3" turbo back exhaust installed. If you run a stage 2 map on stage 1 mods, you will have problems with CELs, and drivability.
Despite your warning, I tried Stage 3 and man is it AMAZING!!! I need to get my DP/midpipes installed and find an intercooler IMMEDIATELY!!!! Will switch back to stage 1 map stock 92 oct or higher tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread