Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The maps that i want to install on my car are greyed out on the AP and I can't select them. Sent an Email but it might be a bit late for a response, anyone know why its doing this?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
SOME UPDATED INFORMATION RE: AUTOMATIC

Oh K guys I just had a long conversation with Jeff about the automatics and wanted to share our collective thoughts and opinions, plus some suggestions.

The Auto Trans has always felt a bit lurchy and abrupt vs. many other vehicles with similar transmissions. This is felt without the ALTA AccessPORT installed.

When adding additional power, both via mods and the AccessPORT this feeling is enhanced in our experience.

Driving style can greatly accentuate or reduce this feeling.

We do offer mapping that has been tailored to reduce it, but this is not an assuredness that the problem will be removed completely.

No matter what, we will continue to help all clients with any mapping concerns in an effort for continuous improvement.

Hope that helps folks! PLEASE shoot us email, PM's or posts with any questions!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 AM
dontpanic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
SOME UPDATED INFORMATION RE: AUTOMATIC

Oh K guys I just had a long conversation with Jeff about the automatics and wanted to share our collective thoughts and opinions, plus some suggestions.

The Auto Trans has always felt a bit lurchy and abrupt vs. many other vehicles with similar transmissions. This is felt without the ALTA AccessPORT installed.

When adding additional power, both via mods and the AccessPORT this feeling is enhanced in our experience.

Driving style can greatly accentuate or reduce this feeling.

We do offer mapping that has been tailored to reduce it, but this is not an assuredness that the problem will be removed completely.

No matter what, we will continue to help all clients with any mapping concerns in an effort for continuous improvement.

Hope that helps folks! PLEASE shoot us email, PM's or posts with any questions!
Most encouraging to hear.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I happen to enjoy the feel of the programming of the steptronic in the mini. I wonder whether you would mind sharing (in general terms) what the updated maps for MCSa do. Do they represent a mild detune (if so how much)? do they modify the TPS parameter the trans sees?
I wonder whether you would be willing to extend your typical 7 day return period a little to allow customers some peace of mind and breathing room to see if the AP can be dialed for their vehicle.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM
jonbrod
Neutral
What was your before mileage and after mileage?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonbrod
who is this directed towards?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jonbrod
When you first get the AP your mileage will suck because it's too much fun to jump on the gas. I get about 26 mpg combine city/highway. About 32 mpg just highway.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dontpanic
Most encouraging to hear.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I happen to enjoy the feel of the programming of the steptronic in the mini. I wonder whether you would mind sharing (in general terms) what the updated maps for MCSa do. Do they represent a mild detune (if so how much)? do they modify the TPS parameter the trans sees?
I wonder whether you would be willing to extend your typical 7 day return period a little to allow customers some peace of mind and breathing room to see if the AP can be dialed for their vehicle.
The updated maps for smoother shifting basically change a table in the ECU called torque efficiency. We've been working with it for a few months and are confident that we have the problem fixed for anyone that has the problem.

The power is going to be the same, since that doesn't need to be changed.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
The updated maps for smoother shifting basically change a table in the ECU called torque efficiency. We've been working with it for a few months and are confident that we have the problem fixed for anyone that has the problem.

The power is going to be the same, since that doesn't need to be changed.
That sounds great! I hope it works! will tide me over till I get my JCW! Then the real fun begins! haha

Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
jonbrod
Neutral
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
my mileage increase with the tune - after I started driving "normal" again.
Curious to the before and after mileage ... assuming you keep your foot out of the fun zone.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
jonbrod
Neutral
It was directed to MotorMouth. My bad.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Was getting ~29-31 before and ~27-30 the first few tanks after installing it. Once my driving calmed back down I was up to 31-33 consistantly. I manually calculate my mileage each tank.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
jonbrod
Neutral
Was getting ~29-31 before and ~27-30 the first few tanks after installing it. Once my driving calmed back down I was up to 31-33 consistantly. I manually calculate my mileage each tank.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Confirmed AP works w/ "torque steer update" on an "S"; needed an AP update alongside

Got the updated S/W today at the dealer that supposedly tames torque steer. 2010 MCCS. And indeed it does. I would say close to 100% at stock programming and power levels (w/ JCW factory exhaust, JCW kit (cone) intake and a few other intake tweaks including Alta spring; also have the NM bushing installed which helped reduce torque steer some too). I posted more particulars about the Mini SW update over on the JCW torque steer thread where the info seems to reside, albeit I did it with an S coupe (as has at least one other poster with an S convertible) rather than a JCW.

I had completely uninstalled the AP before heading to dealer. After returning home post dealer update, I went to reinstall the AP and tune into the car. But, got the dreaded "not supported" type messages, making me wonder at first if I was hosed w/ 2011 version Mini s/w now in an "S." Checked this thread but didn't see anything obvious about the combination of mods the past few months. I updated the AP firmware and (I guess?) the tunes library. Alta's Web site actually looked like the same old firmware version from October 2010 (1.6.3.0-0607) that I knew I had installed when I updated it upon purchase in 12/2010. Got me worrying. Ran it anyway. But wait, it seemed to update more...a lot more. Note to Alta: seems like your release notes aren't current; I know that's work, but the site/PC software leaves the impression the firmware hasn't been updated in six months. In fact, it downloaded a much larger additional 14+MB file (at a relative snail's pace--about 12K/sec); I found in the end the AP Manager software screens and the device referred to a version 1.6.3.2-1538 as installed even though I didn't see any release notes or other signs it was available. I actually stumbled upon this after downloading the tunes again; hopefully that order is okay. I also didn't figure out if you can really tell if Alta's tunes files have been updated or modified somehow. If so, let me know what to look for in the future. I do sense from this thread you guys keep working hard at the coding; but, hard to know as a casual owner/user when/if/what to update, even following the thread a lot.

In any case, all's well that ends well. Plugged it in, and it quickly found the car, just like before the Mini s/w upgrade. Reinstalled the AP and then the Stage 1 tps tunes and I'm back on the road. As before, power difference from stock is marked. Enough more power that even with the updated Mini programming you now feel just a bit of twitchiness in the steering when you nail the throttle in the first few gears. At the pre-AP true stock level map, with the Mini update that tames the torque steer it seemed basically gone--you floor the pedal in lower gears and it just feels like it pulls straight ahead; almost eerie after having lived w/ it after years of spoiling in high powered Audi's. And then even w/ the marked AP power boost, now it's pretty darn subtle, where before you could almost change lanes (left) by throttle just by taking your hands off the wheel while flooring it in second or third. Thus, the Mini updated S/W is still huge from first day impression anyway, even loaded up with more power courtesy of the AP.

Side note: I was having some more pronounced "idle floatiness" recently (almost like the surging from a big A/C compressor clutch engaging on an overworked low HP motor), but at least tonight it seemed okay; don't know if something in any tunes update may have helped there. I will keep monitoring for that.

AP remains a great product several months in!

Last edited by MP1.6T; 04-28-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
wow.. how do you drive normally.. I can not even break 27 on highway. and I am driving like a grannie. or 21-23 city.. but have to factor that I am driving in SF with a lot of hills.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:01 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bk_mini
wow.. how do you drive normally.. I can not even break 27 on highway. and I am driving like a grannie. or 21-23 city.. but have to factor that I am driving in SF with a lot of hills.
hills will kill it. I drive mostly pretty tame and get on it every now and then for short periods.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Automatic owners,
I opted NOT to do the access port and am glad I didn't after hearing the issues here. The stock Cooper S in sport mode and auto mode made the shifting very lurchy so to speak. So, I ended up going JCW Stage 1 Route because I heard it was smoother. I spent the same amount of money for the tune as it would have cost to for me to do AP, intake and exhaust.

I must say, the JCW Stage 1 tune is extremely strong, it completely smoothed out the tranny and eliminated the torque steer. I dont have to remove anything before visiting the dealer and I couldn't be happier.

Now, can I upgrade parts and add more HP with the JCW? Sure! Will the AP give me more HP, maybe. I'm just not putting as much stress on the working parts pushing mine to the limit as I would with an AP.

Just thought I would let those know who have an AUTO trans and un installed their AP because of the trans problems, JCW Stage 1 is a good avenue to add power, keep warranty and fix some issues.

I could not be happier with my JCW Stage 1.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Bravo Zulu
2nd Gear
Adam, Chris & Jeff,
Just wondering how far along you are on the AP for 2011's, specifically the MCSa? You indicated a potential April release earlier this year. I know the A's will follow the manuals; so just curious of status. Thanks -- BZ

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell
Automatic owners,
I opted NOT to do the access port and am glad I didn't after hearing the issues here. The stock Cooper S in sport mode and auto mode made the shifting very lurchy so to speak. So, I ended up going JCW Stage 1 Route because I heard it was smoother. I spent the same amount of money for the tune as it would have cost to for me to do AP, intake and exhaust.

I must say, the JCW Stage 1 tune is extremely strong, it completely smoothed out the tranny and eliminated the torque steer. I dont have to remove anything before visiting the dealer and I couldn't be happier.

Now, can I upgrade parts and add more HP with the JCW? Sure! Will the AP give me more HP, maybe. I'm just not putting as much stress on the working parts pushing mine to the limit as I would with an AP.

Just thought I would let those know who have an AUTO trans and un installed their AP because of the trans problems, JCW Stage 1 is a good avenue to add power, keep warranty and fix some issues.

I could not be happier with my JCW Stage 1.
that's all fine and dandy if you want to pay BMW more money and still have warranty.... I on the other hand dont really care as I dont have warranty anymore (just rolled over two weeks ago 82,500km) and the AP will get you maximum power... plus Alta offers support for it as well, like the new map to help fix the shifting issue they are sending me now...

Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM
dontpanic
1st Gear
I have been EXTENSIVELY researching this issue and have talked to a lot of people a lot smarter than me.

I have learned (to be taken with large grains of salt as some of it is from a BMW tuner who has studied but does not do MINIs): the MCSm and MCSa are more different than I had appreciated. In the steptronic automatic the engine and transmission are a "package" and talk to each other. As it was explained to me (I confess to not having fully understood all of it) in the auto the transmission is used to "preload" - a different term was used but I have forgotten- the engine essentially to keep it on boil. that is why on an MCSa hitting the sport mode usually drops one a gear and remaps the shift points. This was the explanation given why many tests have shown the MCSa to be faster than the MCSm - the auto helps extract more from the engine despite its parasitic losses because it better able to keep the engine operating at optimum load levels.
There was an unpublicized change to the MCS somewhere during the 08 model year and may hinge with certain ECU types (some of which are more forgiving of AP tunes - seems there is a certain software/ECU which is giving tuners more fits). I am told there are two different model numbers (and prices) for JCW tune kits for the MCSa and they change somewhere in the 08 model year. Making the MCSa faster is much more complicated than simply dialing in more boost and supplying more fuel (which is the assumption I had going in). Apparently it entails remapping the transmission shift parameters and often blips in the timing to allow shifts to happen smoothly at lesser throttle positions for tractablility and comfort then allowing them to pop home under heavier throttle conditions for performance. the list goes on... I don't envy Alta and other tuners one bit in coming up with solutions that work! They earn and deserve every R&D dime they charge.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
What you mention is pretty standard AT tranny stuff...

one of the few areas Lexus was quite early on drivetrain wise with the LS 400. Very standard to tie tranny and engine together and modify shift points and motor torque right near them. Cars with tranny "sport" programming play with this yet more.

Audi actually said all the way back to the C3 5000T they found auto's were typically a better general fit w/ turbo's, mostly to keep the spooling up. A difference though not noted from the prior post, auto's of course can generally shift faster than most humans. 1/4 second shift times for most are decent, and in fact some manufacturers purposely put the 2-3 shift point just above 60 to game 0-60 stats a bit more. That's 1/4 second with zero incremental acceleration on a stick, let alone any modest intershift torque reduction on a newer automatic. Newest auto trannies from ZF and others can complete a shift in 1/10 second (with decent power still being applied through the shift window), which is more like pro race experience territory for even the best stick operators.

Having said all this, I'm a very happy 6 speed S owner.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
Finally got the right map for my mini and love it. Alta FTW!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
UT_Evo
1st Gear
Saw that ad on the site that this was the biggest thread so I just wanted to add to it: I had an 08 STi with an AccessPort and I loved it. I can guarantee that once I get settled in to the new MINI I will be getting one. Hands down the best car mod investment I ever made.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
update?

Originally Posted by Bravo Zulu
Adam, Chris & Jeff,
Just wondering how far along you are on the AP for 2011's, specifically the MCSa? You indicated a potential April release earlier this year. I know the A's will follow the manuals; so just curious of status. Thanks -- BZ
Yes what he said^^^but for the MCS manual. Dont wana rock the boat but getting a bit anxious.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
No new info on the 2011 MCS maps, sorry, guys. No ETA at this point.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
stan1529
1st Gear
I know the the AccessPORT can change the ECU back to "when the dealer last saw it" but is there any way for the dealer to tell that the ECU was ever modified?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread