Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Unfortunately, that posting part may in turn drive down the quality of information out there if it chills the discussion.
I have photos of pieces of my piston and can tell you all about what I think happened to mine...but I've chosen not to.

Hard to do though, because I really want to show people what may or may not be the result combined with poor quality manufacturing, possible lean conditions due to a failing HPFP, and 100+ ambient temps, and maybe some high boost...

Once more people start loosing pistons and breaking things they will begin to reconsider the amounts of boost we are all running. These are not the bulletproof VAG 1.8T's and 2.0T where you can run as much boost as you want and all will be fine....

And anyone who is running a bigger turbo or is planning to, really needs to consider building the motor if they want to play on the safe side...at the very least pistons. At least Alta has said they are running their billet turbos at about 20psi...which I think is a reasonable level. Someone mentioned they were running 27psi on their JCW with an alta billet turbo...you got to be out of your mind

And anyone running a tune needs to keep in their mind the possibility of things breaking one day...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
27 PSI? Thats almost a 20:1 (effective) CR at full boost. Go figure parts would break. Not very many OEM engines out there that support that much power.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good post, thanks.

Saw your earlier posts around this too. Interesting to see your similar mention of lean condition, and agreed on others. I come from the Audi world, albeit larger displacement N.A. quattro; but certainly know back when the 2.7T popularized turbo's for them again after the original I5's, there were both quality issues and over tuned chipping feeding it, and 2.7T results and reliability weren't pretty--though with a more robust lower end apparently than here. I bought the 4.2 on that round fortunately. 1.8/2.0T off to a much better footing, though they also locked down the ECU better back in 2001 or 2. Feels like Mini is just getting to that around now (as in no Alta tunes for 2011 S's either thus far; maybe even outsmarted themselves w/ the seemingly vaporware JCW kit tune for 2011's??).

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I have photos of pieces of my piston and can tell you all about what I think happened to mine...but I've chosen not to.

Hard to do though, because I really want to show people what may or may not be the result combined with poor quality manufacturing, possible lean conditions due to a failing HPFP, and 100+ ambient temps, and maybe some high boost...

Once more people start loosing pistons and breaking things they will begin to reconsider the amounts of boost we are all running. These are not the bulletproof VAG 1.8T's and 2.0T where you can run as much boost as you want and all will be fine....

And anyone who is running a bigger turbo or is planning to, really needs to consider building the motor if they want to play on the safe side...at the very least pistons. At least Alta has said they are running their billet turbos at about 20psi...which I think is a reasonable level. Someone mentioned they were running 27psi on their JCW with an alta billet turbo...you got to be out of your mind

And anyone running a tune needs to keep in their mind the possibility of things breaking one day...

Last edited by MP1.6T; 05-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Agreed 27 PSI sounds...

way over the top w/out serious other motor mods, but I would expect the actual effective compression ratio to come up a fair amount less with turbulence issues, valve overlap and other things. Otherwise, that would be up there near diesel motors, with way more robustness right off the bat.
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
27 PSI? Thats almost a 20:1 (effective) CR at full boost. Go figure parts would break. Not very many OEM engines out there that support that much power.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My turbo pickup runs about that compression ratio, but then, it a diesel!

Dave

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Keeping the best information flowing about mod's w/out intimidation

There is also another element to the story (with a variety of sharp words around it) concerning web posts on Boards like these; can raise ultimate questions about whether both tuning AND any posting about it are each risky. Unfortunately, that posting part may in turn drive down the quality of information out there if it chills the discussion.
Maybe inspired some by ThumperMCS's picking up this reference, I created a thread about the chilling effect issues I am concerned about if folks in the dealer and service channels start viewing posts as fair game to troll and use. Can't be stopped, but at least consequences might be possible. See that post if interested:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bbling-up.html

Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
way over the top w/out serious other motor mods, but I would expect the actual effective compression ratio to come up a fair amount less with turbulence issues, valve overlap and other things. Otherwise, that would be up there near diesel motors, with way more robustness right off the bat.
It's in the GT28RS thread....and like Erik commented, I dunno if they guy knew what he was talking about. Just used it as an example of some of the lunacy that will get people in trouble

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I just got the Accessport a few weeks ago and, frankly, I'm struggling with it. I am running the Stage One tune, tweaked by Jan at a dyno day.

I have found that my boost is doubled, from 9-12psi to 18-22+psi and that is way too high for me. Is this others' experience, too? That seems way too aggressive for Stage One. I would like to be in the mid-teens. I can't figure out if it is the tune or if I have a mechanical problem in the turbo.

In addition, the ECT with the Stage One drops 20+ degrees, causing a P1028 code. When I go back to the stock JCW tune, the temp pops back up to 220+ and the code goes away.

I would like to get a feel for what you are all getting (boost and ECT) with the un-tweaked Stage One tune.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gkp
I just got the Accessport a few weeks ago and, frankly, I'm struggling with it. I am running the Stage One tune, tweaked by Jan at a dyno day.

I have found that my boost is doubled, from 9-12psi to 18-22+psi and that is way too high for me. Is this others' experience, too? That seems way too aggressive for Stage One. I would like to be in the mid-teens. I can't figure out if it is the tune or if I have a mechanical problem in the turbo.

In addition, the ECT with the Stage One drops 20+ degrees, causing a P1028 code. When I go back to the stock JCW tune, the temp pops back up to 220+ and the code goes away.

I would like to get a feel for what you are all getting (boost and ECT) with the un-tweaked Stage One tune.
Thanks for the feedback. We will get things handled for you. Can you email your details to Chris.Cone@ALTAPerformance.com ? Car, mods, etc. etc. and we can go from there.

Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gkp

Mine runs 18-22psi Stage 1 91 octane stock tune. Not sure about the other stuff you mentioned...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
2010 Clubman Sa. Peak is about 13psi stock, 18 with stage 1 tune. No add ons except a drop in K&N filter.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Chrissamyn
1st Gear
hey i have a question im getting my accessport tonight and im going to run the stage 1 92 octane+ map on a jcw 2011

does anybody drive this map

and is there a big difference with the 91 octane map

Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Chris,

Our maps will make a big difference no matter what. But you will want to run the correct map for the octane of fuel you have access to. If you only have 91 octane, you have to run a 91 octane map. If you can fill up with 92 octane or above, run the 92 octane map. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Chrissamyn
1st Gear
ihave 94 octane in my car all the time oh yeaahhhh

Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Our cars are designed with a three stage cooling system. When the car is under load or it's hot outside etc. They are designed to open the third stage to maintain temp. Our cars try to keep the car at 217 for fuel efficiency. Click your ac on max and watch it drop too. As far ad the code I'm not sure, but that why the temp drops. I have got my car tricked into running open all the time as I live in Florida an it's already approaching 100deg on a regular basis.
Originally Posted by gkp

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Boost doesn't hurt motors it's improper fuel delivery and spark timing. Before the flaming starts please think about what I said. 27 psi at 10:1 and no spark advance is less stressfull than 20psi at 12.2:1 and 20 degrees of timing. Our bottom ends are pretty stout. If you look at other cars running the prince motors in Europe there are some surprisingly big numbers coming from stock shortblock cars. Like thumper said, you need to be prepared to break stuff. I can say that my car has been ravaged and I'm on my second shortblock (rings were toast but got a deal on a shortblock from mini) but it has taken A LOT!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Chrissamyn
1st Gear
wwwwoooowwwwwww the accessport is strong ..... crazy its like a new car

BMW 335i coupe couldnt catch me up this morning haha so happy

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
will there be an Access port for the r53?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrissamyn
wwwwoooowwwwwww the accessport is strong ..... crazy its like a new car

BMW 335i coupe couldnt catch me up this morning haha so happy
Uhh... I know the Mini is an awesome car, and I know that a stock 335i is a bit sluggish, but hold up there - I think you caught a chump The Mini with an AP and no other mods is about a 5.5-5.8 second car, and the 335i's _official_ time is just over 5 seconds... and with an AP for the 335 it's easily a 4.5 second car. So ... don't get cocky, but congrats anyway

(I own both and am partial to the 335, hence I'm defending it, hehehe)

Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Chrissamyn
1st Gear
im not saying i was getting away from him but i like the guys look on his face at the red light when he rolled down his window

Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrissamyn
im not saying i was getting away from him but i like the guys look on his face at the red light when he rolled down his window
:D that IS priceless.

Btw, just realised you have a JCW. That's a different ball game - I bet with an AP you're pushing 5 seconds, so easily a 335's time.

I once played around with an S5 in my 335 until eventually we came to a stop, he rolled his window down and demanded to know what I had under the hood

Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
yeah a flashed mini upsets alot of people, especially v8 drivers.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
kadaj
3rd Gear
probably getting this next month or in a couple of weeks! :D
i have an 09 no mods... was gonna ask has anyone had a problem with warranty? and is the OCC really important in our cars?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
w00t!! Just ordered my AccessPort!

Man, I've never been so stoked to drop $900!! After reading virtually every post in this 68 page thread, I've decided that the AP is well worth the bux, Of course, I'll have to reserve final judgment for after I've installed the unit and flogged Monty for a day, but if it provides what everyone claims, this is the cheapest way to get a solid performance boost out of your Mini S.

I may end up adding an exhaust, CAI, and turbo blanket, but I'm gonna live with the AP for a while and see how it goes. Everyone asks me how I like my car and I invariably reply "I LOVE it, I just wish it had a few more ponies under the hood." Well, I'm about to see if that statement is true, wish me luck...

-RW-

Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
Man, I've never been so stoked to drop $900!! After reading virtually every post in this 68 page thread, I've decided that the AP is well worth the bux, Of course, I'll have to reserve final judgment for after I've installed the unit and flogged Monty for a day, but if it provides what everyone claims, this is the cheapest way to get a solid performance boost out of your Mini S.

I may end up adding an exhaust, CAI, and turbo blanket, but I'm gonna live with the AP for a while and see how it goes. Everyone asks me how I like my car and I invariably reply "I LOVE it, I just wish it had a few more ponies under the hood." Well, I'm about to see if that statement is true, wish me luck...

-RW-
It's everything everyone has said it is. You'll be very happy.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread