Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rlw
For a few days now, I have been unable to use my new AP because it would not recognize my car's ECU. Chris worked with me and made some suggestions about updating the AP's firmware with the Beta version - no joy!!

And then, fiinally, updating the AP Manager software with it's Beta release....

STOP THE PRESSES!! When I updated the AP Mgr. with the Beta version IT WORKED!! w00t!! I swear I was sporting wood when I saw the AP begin the ECU update procedure - yes!!

I loaded the 92 octane Stage 1 map and took it for a spin - yowza! The car is *definitely* faster. I ran it earlier today and was seeing 10.8 lbs. boost maximum. My latest runs are now showing 14.8 lbs. Wow, that's a 37% increase in boost!!

However, I seem to remember that the 92 octane Stage 1 map should give 14-18 lbs. boost. Why am I not seeing that? Is there any way to get a few more lbs. out of it? I am basically stock except for a drop-in K&N filter, 93 octane gas, and the AP. If I could get to even 16 lbs. (48% improvement) I'd be one happy camper, fer shure! I also purchased a "stiffy" spring when I bought the AP. Will that improve my boost pressure? Is there anything else I can do, cheaply, to see a bit more boost? Can I get another map that would help? Remember: 2008 Clubman S Automatic, K&N filter, AP...

No matter what, I'm really stoked, Chris!! The car is running the best it's ever run. You guys did a great job. Now you got me eyeing an FMIC...Damn you, Alta Performance!!

The boost level will vary depending on air temp, gear, and RPM. 15 PSI does sound normal at a higher RPM, but it should getting a little higher than that in the midrange.

The BOV stiffy isn't going to raise the boost in your car, and actually won't make too much of a difference if you have an automatic unfortunately. If you're looking for more power, look into getting a FMIC, boost tube, intake, and turbo back exhaust. Glad you're enjoying the AccessPORT!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
nykwan
4th Gear
Quick question...
what is the boost on the Stage1 map? 20psi?
And is it same for both the JCW and MCS?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seeing 15.8 - 16.4 psi on my ScanGauge II. I modified the ScanGauge to display a calculated boost pressure using the MAP reading it normally provides. I calculated my boost using 14.7 PSI as ambient air pressure. I live in So. Fla. at an elevation above sea level of about 100 ft...

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rlw
I'm seeing 15.8 - 16.4 psi on my ScanGauge II. I modified the ScanGauge to display a calculated boost pressure using the MAP reading it normally provides. I calculated my boost using 14.7 PSI as ambient air pressure. I live in So. Fla. at an elevation above sea level of about 100 ft...

Not Alta AP related, but where do you live in So. Fla that is 100' in elevation? It is maybe 23' at our most inland point of the county on the SW coast.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
Not Alta AP related, but where do you live in So. Fla that is 100' in elevation? It is maybe 23' at our most inland point of the county on the SW coast.
I agree. There are very few places in FL that are 100' above sea level, if any, and definitely not in S. FL. You might hit close to those elevations up in the Ocala area but I can't see it anywhere else. I'm in central FL and the average elevation here is 20-30 feet above sea level. I would be interested in the answer to his question though.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
There has been a lot of talk recently about the tunes and the fragility of Mini's engines and I wanted to help explain how our tunes are made to help put customers at ease. It's true that some engines have broken using custom tunes, but there are also people that have had problems using stock tunes with no aftermarket parts. Our tunes make great power,and do push the car to have more boost. The boost/load levels we put in each map have been extensively ran on the dyno and street to ensure that they have safe AFRs and EGTs and boost. Keep in mind that when we quote that our maps reach a certain boost level, we are quoting the peak boost level. This means the highest you will see it run and in most cases this is just a split second. Please check out the boost curve below. This is a graph of our Billet 56 turbo, and the MCS Stage 3 mapping. You can see that the aggressive Stage 3 mapping only runs 20psi for a split second. On the MCS we are held to a 20-ish psi limit and that is why we don't push it that hard.

All of the ALTA tunes, and dyno graphs we show, are "De-Tuned" from where we pushed them on the road and dyno. We did this to ensure the car will run safe, and to give room for custom tuners if the customer was looking for a more aggressive tune.

If you are a customer that has parts to run a stage 2 or stage 3 map, you can run a stage 1 map if you want to run a less aggressive tune. If you are a Stage 3 customer who has seen 22+psi for a long time call us and we would like to get you a new map to test out.

We are working hard for a revamp of new maps for our auto customers next week. At the same time we have made some changes to help with idling issues on the JCW, which will also be ready end of next week. But if we get enough customers who are really concerned about the boost or HP their car runs, we could make changes to the boost levels we set in the maps. We really feel this is not necessary, but those who have immediate concerns, run the Stage 1 maps. These still make great power over the stock tune.

Like always, feel free to give us a call with your questions or concerns!

Last edited by ALTA_Chris; 06-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
Chris,
Do MCSs and JCW use the same maps on the AP? If so, does that mean that a JCW would only see 20PSI also, and since its real close to stock boost levels, that the JCW would be a lot more 'safe' than an MCS with the tune?

Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris,

Doesn't the factory JCW turbo run ~20 psi at peak?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Carpeviam
Chris,
Do MCSs and JCW use the same maps on the AP? If so, does that mean that a JCW would only see 20PSI also, and since its real close to stock boost levels, that the JCW would be a lot more 'safe' than an MCS with the tune?

They do not use the same maps. My JCW was hitting 23.5lbs.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
[quote=ALTA_Chris;3302833]

We are working hard for a revamp of new maps for our auto customers next week. At the same time we have made some changes to help with idling issues on the JCW, which will also be ready end of next week.

Chris:
Thanks for the clarification. What is the best way to keep on top of what is Alta is doing to refine the maps over time?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
[quote=gkp;3303056]
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris

Chris:
Thanks for the clarification. What is the best way to keep on top of what is Alta is doing to refine the maps over time?
Ditto that and do you have a fix for the hunting idle on the MCS?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
They do not use the same maps. My JCW was hitting 23.5lbs.
23? I just installed the AP with Stage 1 92octane linear map, and highest I can see has been mostly 19psi and occassional 20psi using the AP to monitor boost.

Is something not right?

Last edited by Carpeviam; 06-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
23? I just installed the AP with Stage 1 92octane linear map, and highest I can see has been mostly 19psi and occassional 20psi using the AP to monitor boost.

Is something not right?
I've seen 23.9psi on my MCSa Stage 1 91 octane. Most of the time she runs between 18-21

Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

Is something not right?
do you have a larger intercooler?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
nykwan
4th Gear
duplicate

Last edited by nykwan; 02-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Chris or Jeff:

Is the EGT reading on the AccessPort accurate? If so, where does it read from?

I've heard it is merely a calculated value, not an actual one....

Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
I think it is a calculated value, cause there no such sensor attached from the factory.
To read EGTs accurately, just install a quality electronic gauge.
However you will have to drill your exhaust manifold.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nykwan
No, its a stock FMIC. I'll get out today and try to test it again and see.
get a bigger fmic and you can run a map with more boost.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM
nykwan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
get a bigger fmic and you can run a map with more boost.
But is it normal for a Stage1 on stock JCW to be only 20psi? Cause isn't stock JCW boost already 19psi, which probably overshoots sometimes to peak at 20psi anyway?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
I'm having a hard time trusting the boost figures I'm seeing here. In my correspondence with Chris, he indicated that 16-18 psi boost was to be expected on a Stage 1 Auto. R56/55 S. 23.9 psi would seem to be awfully optimistic, not to mention potentially dangerous running stock internals.

And I'm seeing mid-16s boost on my 2008 Clubman S Auto., about what I expected. How are you guys measuring your boost? And how long does it hold those figures?

Also, for the guys who jumped all over my guesstimate of my 100 ft. above seal level in So. Fla. - okay, okay, mebbe I was wrong. But not enough to really affect the figures being used to calculate boost. I set my ambient air peressure at 14.7 psi, so I think I'm about right there. And I was seeing approx. 11.8 psi boost before my tune and I'm seeing 15.5 - 16.8 after my tune. I *think* these figures are fairly accurate. Even if they aren't, what I was really after was the *change* in boost pre and post tune. It looks like I've picked up about 5 psi add'l. boost, does that sound about right for a Stage 1 Clubbie S Auto.?

Thanks!

Last edited by rlw; 06-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hey guys, I'm going to answer some of your questions now, since I'm online, I'll answer your other questions tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Performance Angst
Chris,

Doesn't the factory JCW turbo run ~20 psi at peak?
Yes, it does, the 20 psi I was talking about earlier was on a MCS, and was an example.

Chris,
The maps are different for the MCS and the JCW, it's transparent for you guys, sine the AP automatically pics the maps that are applicable for your car when you plug it in.

[quote=gkp;3303056]
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris

We are working hard for a revamp of new maps for our auto customers next week. At the same time we have made some changes to help with idling issues on the JCW, which will also be ready end of next week.

Chris:
I will post something in this thread when we're ready. When it's ready, you will have to uninstall the AP in the car, do an update using the AP Manager, then reinstall the map on your car.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Arnel
2nd Gear
Looking forward to updated auto maps.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 AM
dontpanic
1st Gear
Now if only there were a way to get the JCW tuning auto, steering, throttle mapping AND the AP fuel/boost mapping on the same car at the same time. I've driven both on MCSa's and in my opinion each tune trumps the other in the above categories.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
fast2ghl
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rlw
I'm having a hard time trusting the boost figures I'm seeing here. In my correspondence with Chris, he indicated that 16-18 psi boost was to be expected on a Stage 1 Auto. R56/55 S. 23.9 psi would seem to be awfully optimistic, not to mention potentially dangerous running stock internals.

And I'm seeing mid-16s boost on my 2008 Clubman S Auto., about what I expected. How are you guys measuring your boost? And how long does it hold those figures?

Also, for the guys who jumped all over my guesstimate of my 100 ft. above seal level in So. Fla. - okay, okay, mebbe I was wrong. But not enough to really affect the figures being used to calculate boost. I set my ambient air peressure at 14.7 psi, so I think I'm about right there. And I was seeing approx. 11.8 psi boost before my tune and I'm seeing 15.5 - 16.8 after my tune. I *think* these figures are fairly accurate. Even if they aren't, what I was really after was the *change* in boost pre and post tune. It looks like I've picked up about 5 psi add'l. boost, does that sound about right for a Stage 1 Clubbie S Auto.?

Thanks!
Spikes at 23.9 only did it once or twice, most of the time it holds 17-18psi. If it was holding 23.9 JCW or MCS, I'd be kissing my engine goodbye, these engines can't handle that kind of boost for too long, least not stock... there is plenty of evidence of this popping up. In fact whats starting to scare me now is how much oil the engine seems to just magically make disappear! Its not leaking, It's not burning blue, I've had it checked out several times, but somehow she eats like 2L all the time.... its really weird.... not to mention the dipstick in these cars is next to impossible to read..... but.... its still fun to drive so I can overlook this stuff.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
[quote=///Mflossin;3303077]
Originally Posted by gkp

Ditto that and do you have a fix for the hunting idle on the MCS?
We will have a fix for that built into the update.

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Chris or Jeff:

Is the EGT reading on the AccessPort accurate? If so, where does it read from?

I've heard it is merely a calculated value, not an actual one....
You're right, it is a calculated number. The best way to figure out EGTs is to install an aftermarket sensor.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread