Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Flossin, you're right, with the Akrapovic, you can upgrade just the rear cat. But it retains the stock front cat. You will have to run a stage 1 tune with that setup.
If he adds the Akrapovic downpipe along with the catback exhaust he gets rid off the stock cat and ends up with only one cat inside the downpipe which is 100cpi. That's a full turboback system then with the less restrictive cat on the market. Maybe he can run a stage 2 or 3 map then?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flossin, you're right, with the Akrapovic, you can upgrade just the rear cat. But it retains the stock front cat. You will have to run a stage 1 tune with that setup.
What about on a factory JCW car. Don't they remove the rear cat at the factory? And the Akrapovic DP contains a high flow front cat. Wouldn't that be very similar to the Alta exhaust setup at that point?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garyw
For those with JCW's, did you guys get the popping, burbling from the exhaust after the tune? I just installed the AP into my 09' JCW, was hoping the popping and burbling would come back.
I have more burble and less pop. I always loved the pop going through the parking garage at work.

Todd

Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Questions.

1. I was wondering about linear throttle maps for an automatic. I only drive in sport mode with the paddle shifters and would really enjoy a more linear throttle. This was one of the main reasons I was looking at the accessport and have heard the the linear maps are not available foe auto's.

2. Since you can alter the mapping for the throttle is it possible to change at what percetage of throttle the car kicks down gears. I track my car regularly and it would be nice to be able to go 100% out of corners without having it kick down or keeping the car as high in the RPM band the whole way through. I dont mind the auto shift when slowing down for street driving just the kick down.

As I said this is the only major hold up for me and really hope something could be worked out. Any other Auto owners out there want to see something like this?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ThePenl
If he adds the Akrapovic downpipe along with the catback exhaust he gets rid off the stock cat and ends up with only one cat inside the downpipe which is 100cpi. That's a full turboback system then with the less restrictive cat on the market. Maybe he can run a stage 2 or 3 map then?
If you use one OEM cat, you have to run a stage 1 map, no matter what. But if he uses the Akrapovic, and upgrades the upper pipe with either another high flow cat or catless, then he can run a stage 2 map, as long as the exhaust is 3". I'm not super familiar with the Akrapovic, but I don't think it's 3".

Originally Posted by Performance Angst
What about on a factory JCW car. Don't they remove the rear cat at the factory? And the Akrapovic DP contains a high flow front cat. Wouldn't that be very similar to the Alta exhaust setup at that point?
The JCW does only have one cat in the front section of the downpipe. So even if you did upgrade with the Akrapovic, you will still have the factory front cat, and not have a 3" turbo back. The ALTA is a full 3" turbo back exhaust.

Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
Questions.

1. I was wondering about linear throttle maps for an automatic. I only drive in sport mode with the paddle shifters and would really enjoy a more linear throttle. This was one of the main reasons I was looking at the accessport and have heard the the linear maps are not available foe auto's.

2. Since you can alter the mapping for the throttle is it possible to change at what percetage of throttle the car kicks down gears. I track my car regularly and it would be nice to be able to go 100% out of corners without having it kick down or keeping the car as high in the RPM band the whole way through. I dont mind the auto shift when slowing down for street driving just the kick down.

As I said this is the only major hold up for me and really hope something could be worked out. Any other Auto owners out there want to see something like this?
1. You are right, there are no linear maps for the autos, sorry.

2. We can't change when the car wants to shift, the AccessPORT only modifies the engine ECU.

We have attempted to change throttle feel on the autos, without much success.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
If you use one OEM cat, you have to run a stage 1 map, no matter what. But if he uses the Akrapovic, and upgrades the upper pipe with either another high flow cat or catless, then he can run a stage 2 map, as long as the exhaust is 3". I'm not super familiar with the Akrapovic, but I don't think it's 3".

The JCW does only have one cat in the front section of the downpipe. So even if you did upgrade with the Akrapovic, you will still have the factory front cat, and not have a 3" turbo back. The ALTA is a full 3" turbo back exhaust.
The Akrapovic is a 2.5" outlet which makes it appealing to those that want to retain the factory rear section and exhaust note without worry of DRONE.

So the only way to jump up to the Stage 2 map is to run a full 3" exhaust system. Does ALTA produce a full 3" system for the Clubman? I can't seem to find it on the website. If not, what are my options for adding the correct accessories to my JCW Clubman in order to use the Stage 2 or Stage 3 maps?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
So the only way to jump up to the Stage 2 map is to run a full 3" exhaust system. Does ALTA produce a full 3" system for the Clubman? I can't seem to find it on the website. If not, what are my options for adding the correct accessories to my JCW Clubman in order to use the Stage 2 or Stage 3 maps?

Thanks
posted wrong info...doh!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I do have a full JCW factory exhaust system. My plan is to go with the Akrapovic downpipe attached do the JCW exhaust so it looks like stage I is still as far as I can go tune-wise. The biggest thing that I like about the JCW exhaust is that is sounds good when you get on it, has absolutely zero drone and is near silent when just cruising around.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
Aw I was hoping to move off of stage 1 by getting a catless DP and keeping the stock exhaust.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The Akrapovic is a 2.5" outlet which makes it appealing to those that want to retain the factory rear section and exhaust note without worry of DRONE.

Thanks
We do have a turbo back, you can find it here: http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...aust-Clubman-S This system includes two high flow cats.

Other wise, a full turbo back 2.5" catless system should also be OK to run a stage 2 tune.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
We do have a turbo back, you can find it here: http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...aust-Clubman-S This system includes two high flow cats.

Other wise, a full turbo back 2.5" catless system should also be OK to run a stage 2 tune.
Hmmm. I'd need some sort of package deal. Intercooler $800, exhaust $2000 and programmer $900. That's $4000 for ~80 hp and 40 ft lb torque. That's a tough $ number to deal with given the current economy.

Also, you have any sound clips of this Clubman exhaust? What are the reports on DRONE?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Performance, sending a PM about prices. Our turbo back will make the exhaust considerably louder, but the Clubman exhaust will be quieter than the R56, since it has dual mufflers. I don't have a sound clip with the turbo back on a Clubman, sorry!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
So if I am running the alta 3" DP with 2.5" back I can still run the stage 2? Can I squeak the stage 3 in with FMIC?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
So if I am running the alta 3" DP with 2.5" back I can still run the stage 2? Can I squeak the stage 3 in with FMIC?

Based on Alta's previous response

"Other wise, a full turbo back 2.5" catless system should also be OK to run a stage 2 tune."

I'd say you would have to remove all the cats downstream of your Alta DP. Otherwise you can only run the Stage 1 tune.

I wish I could find a schematic of the JCW Clubman exhaust. I haven't had the car up high enough to see exactly what the factory put on and determine how many cats I'd have to remove and what potential issues removing the cats would cause. i.e. exhaust DRONE or Fuel SMELL

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Our downpipe isn't compatible with any 2.5" exhaust without custom fabrication, but if you were able to get them to bolt up, then you could run a stage 2 map. Adding a FMIC will let you run stage 3.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Thank you Chris. I am Running the FMIC and will be running the 3" dp to a custom 2.5". Cleared up alot of questions.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
why introduce a bottle neck? just put a quieter muffler on or run a resonator and muffler. thats what i did

Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
It was kinda an after thought. The mufflers were already on order when I remembered I needed 3" for stage 3 maps. I was thinking of running 3" all the way to the mufflers but not to sure how that will sound.

EDIT- Plus here in Germany you have to pass a decibel test.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
talt03
Neutral
Looks like euro version will not see accessport

Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM
rlw
3rd Gear
For a few days now, I have been unable to use my new AP because it would not recognize my car's ECU. Chris worked with me and made some suggestions about updating the AP's firmware with the Beta version - no joy!!

And then, fiinally, updating the AP Manager software with it's Beta release....

STOP THE PRESSES!! When I updated the AP Mgr. with the Beta version IT WORKED!! w00t!! I swear I was sporting wood when I saw the AP begin the ECU update procedure - yes!!

I loaded the 92 octane Stage 1 map and took it for a spin - yowza! The car is *definitely* faster. I ran it earlier today and was seeing 10.8 lbs. boost maximum. My latest runs are now showing 14.8 lbs. Wow, that's a 37% increase in boost!!

However, I seem to remember that the 92 octane Stage 1 map should give 14-18 lbs. boost. Why am I not seeing that? Is there any way to get a few more lbs. out of it? I am basically stock except for a drop-in K&N filter, 93 octane gas, and the AP. If I could get to even 16 lbs. (48% improvement) I'd be one happy camper, fer shure! I also purchased a "stiffy" spring when I bought the AP. Will that improve my boost pressure? Is there anything else I can do, cheaply, to see a bit more boost? Can I get another map that would help? Remember: 2008 Clubman S Automatic, K&N filter, AP...

No matter what, I'm really stoked, Chris!! The car is running the best it's ever run. You guys did a great job. Now you got me eyeing an FMIC...Damn you, Alta Performance!!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rlw
Is there anything else I can do, cheaply, to see a bit more boost? Can I get another map that would help? Remember: 2008 Clubman S Automatic, K&N filter, AP...
Stg 2 and 3 run higher boost....the Stg 1 is purposely kept pretty mild.

You need supporting mods to run them correctly though...

The difference between Stg 1, 2 and 3 is night and day....and then the difference between any of the canned "Staged" Alta tunes and a custom dyno tune is night and day

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by talt03
Looks like euro version will not see accessport
My car is US Spec.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

The difference between Stg 1, 2 and 3 is night and day....and then the difference between any of the canned "Staged" Alta tunes and a custom dyno tune is night and day
+1
I had the Stage 1 dyno tuned by RMW and, yes, it is night and day. BUT the boost went to well over 20 and that creates a new set of issues: boost dump, potential damage to the turbo, and a lot of pressure in those hoses.

Right now I run the stock Alta Stage 1 with a FMIC, Exhaust Depot downpipe, and JCW exhaust. I boost at about 16-18 with spikes to 20 under certain conditions. Plenty for me and, I hope, not too much for the engine innards. There's a point in this game where to add boost you have to start upgrading more than just the exhaust unless you're willing to risk reliability and live with the possibility of blowing the engine up.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
Oh Lord keep me in such car crazy company - it's just too much fun...

Where else can I find quotes like "I swear I was sporting wood " in reference to engine tuning?

ROTFLMAO...

Charlie

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread