Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Only a question, please don't taze me bro!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only a question, please don't taze me bro!

I only have a question. That is it. I am not biast one way or another. im not looking to start a rederick war or hear 1000 different feelings on vendors. I have read the million plus posts on the RMW cams and i dont believe they answered MY specific question. granted i havent read the whole thing so mabe i missed it.
All i ask for is an answer and please Dont taze me bro!

I have purchased an RMW cam and have been told by a very reputable vendor that the RMW cam is the Newman cam. I dont care either way but i would really like to know if RMW had a special grind for the cams they were selling as "RMW cams" or are they just Newman cams with RMW selling them?
second is it true that i can get better numbers from the Schrick cam? ( also told by a reputable vendor ).

To sum up I find Jan to be a great guy. Im not a fan boy of RMW or anyone else for that matter. I have many different companies parts on my car. I feel that it is my right to know whats in my vehicle. and again if i missed the actual facts then i apologise.
Thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Call Jan and he can tell you what cam you have. Why would anyone else have a more definitive answer?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
BigShow
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What ^^ said... but on the schrick vs newman, schrick might give a couple of extra hp right at the top end but the newman will give more down low where you'll feel it most.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have nothing to add on the cam question sorry, but DONT TAZE ME BRO !
haha, damn that clip is funny

Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
" is it true that i can get better numbers from the Schrick cam? ( also told by a reputable vendor )."

I swapped out my shrick cam for Jan's cam. The RMW cam or whatever, makes the mini come alive much sooner making the car feel much more powerful, where as the Shrick robs your torque and switches the power in the high R's where you don't need it especially with a header and free flow exhaust which already shifts all your power to the high end making the 1.6 a pain to drive with. That is why it works so well as a header cam combo.
I've bought everything twice, sometimes three times to learn these lessons...

Don't taze me bro was hillarious I loved hearing that on the Adam Corolla show

Last edited by ClintTheMiniOwner; 02-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
YES they are the same. Jan is the exclusive distributor here in the US. I dont know why the fanboys are so touchy about this question, but YES they are the same cam. I don't know why Jan has to be so cryptic about the answer but he is. you can try calling him and asking him but I am guessing he will just tell you about how he has some custom grinds he is working on and they will be out soon. PERSONALLY he dosnt sound like a guy I would ever want to do busness with but his parts seem good!!

OK go ahead and bash RMW fanboys.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ClintTheMiniOwner
" is it true that i can get better numbers from the Schrick cam? ( also told by a reputable vendor )."

I swapped out my shrick cam for Jan's cam. The RMW cam or whatever, makes the mini come alive much sooner making the car feel much more powerful, where as the Shrick robs your torque and switches the power in the high R's where you don't need it especially with a header and free flow exhaust which already shifts all your power to the high end making the 1.6 a pain to drive with. That is why it works so well as a header cam combo.
I've bought everything twice, sometimes three times to learn these lessons...

Don't taze me bro was hillarious I loved hearing that on the Adam Corolla show
Since I am in the market for a cam, this was good information. But do you happen to have dynos for these numbers?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Since I am in the market for a cam, this was good information. But do you happen to have dynos for these numbers?
I will very soon

Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Q-4000
YES they are the same. Jan is the exclusive distributor here in the US.
The rest of your post, the part I deleted, is the reason why these arguments start. The above concise, two-sentence answer would have more than sufficed. Are you surprised to have "fanboys" pounce if they're antagonized? That's like Ron Burgundy jumping into the bear pit! "I immediately regret this decision!"

mb

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by mbcoops
The rest of your post, the part I deleted, is the reason why these arguments start. The above concise, two-sentence answer would have more than sufficed. Are you surprised to have "fanboys" pounce if they're antagonized? That's like Ron Burgundy jumping into the bear pit! "I immediately regret this decision!"

mb
So, what??? Are we all supposed to fear certain people here? Are you saying all of the members here on NAM need to walk on eggs, and edit all that we write in order to not upset some? I know things have changed here a lot, but maybe you could point me to the new rules that maybe I missed.

Really?? You believe this? This site is selectively censored?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
So, what??? Are we all supposed to fear certain people here? Are you saying all of the members here on NAM need to walk on eggs, and edit all that we write in order to not upset some? I know things have changed here a lot, but maybe you could point me to the new rules that maybe I missed.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
No, not at all - sorry to confuse! I think if we want the antagonism to stop, we should all stop, no? I don't equate that with censorship, especially in this thread where the OP stated his innocent question and requested an innocent response.

mb

Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
This is getting painful now

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by ClintTheMiniOwner
I will very soon
Cool

Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by mbcoops
I think if we want the antagonism to stop, we should all stop, no?
mb
Thing is, there are multiple threads going on right now where there are VENDORS arguing against eachother. It's very childish and unbecomming to themselfs

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onasled

Only with the RMW guys. have seen a few flare ups with the M7 guys but nothing like the RMW guys! they are out for blood!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I am going to quote myself. 3 threads later and we finally have a straight answer, that was longer than it should have taken. Anyway:

Honestly...

This all could have been avoided if a straight answer had been given from the very start, instead we got the typical internet style ambiguous answer where the person veiwing the thread is expected to read between the lines and draw their own conclusions, I'll point out that all of the vendors on NAM seem to be equally guilty of this at one time or another. When that happens you get all this BS we have been seeing for the last five pages, and (arguably) the party in question ends up losing customers as a result.

Honestly a simple answer of something like "RMW is the exclusive distributor of Newman Cams in the USA. That is what we carry and sell as the 'RMW Cam'". Done, although I guess when you start off by saying that something was designed and built to your own spec's but then not it is a bit harder to say something like that. Then again I am an engineering student not a marking/PR student, so I am probably not very qualified to make statements on things of this nature.

Not that this is of any consequence to me, I AX my MINI in G-stock so I am not even in the market for all of these go fast parts anyway.
A good example of managing a potential PR nightmare can be gleamed by looking at what the Seagate company (hard drive maker) did when reports of one of their most common hard drives "bricking" started coming in. Originally they handled customer complaints on a one on one basis, but when the scope of the problem was determined to be far larger then originally thought they quickly offered an update to fix the problem. Unfortunately the 'fix' didnt actually fix the problem entirely, it only allowed you to later unbrick your hard drive down the road. Eventually an actual fix was released and it seems to be smooth sailing. The point is that the company was proactive in managing a problem and was able to get the whole thing under control in about 2.5 weeks (if memory serves).

As a result of being proactive in managing a potential PR nightmare (dataloss is a big deal) they managed to avoid creating a massive loss of faith in the consumer sector. I can relate this to the RMW situation, because although what they were selling works (and well) people were buying it under the pretense of it being "made to RMW specs" not off the shelf. When something like that not being true comes out it tends to discourage people and create a loss of faith in the average consumer (as we have seen a bit of). If I wanted to (and why it hasnt been done yet baffles me) I could spin this positively. Here is an example:

"It is indeed true that the RMW cam that is being sold by us is in fact a Newman cam. However in all of our testing we have yet to find a better performing street cam in these cars and as a result we decided to become the exclusive US distributor of the Newman cam and market it under the RMW name. The idea of marketing it as RMW was keeping in the spirit of us supplying only the best parts that you can get for your MINI that give proven real world results. We beleive that the Newman Cam is an example of this and as a result we will continue to sell it under the RMW name."

If you wanted to go a little bit further you could replace "under the RMW name" with "[sell] it as the RMW cam by Newman Cams" or something like that.

The whole point is that when you get presented with something about your product that you know is true but you dont necessarily want "outed" there isnt much point in trying to deny it or ignore it. If you do you end up getting what has been happening for the last week or so on NAM.

Last edited by Some Guy; 02-03-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
this is what i wanted to avoid. i dont argue for either party. Im just on NAM to meet great people and get what info i can.
Thanks to all that help!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
WRT: Some Guy

WTF? How do you compare a product which is rendered inoperable with one whose only question is provenance, not performance?

FWIW: I don't have an aftermarket cam, and I will not be purchasing one.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Here We Go Again, Same Old Tired S Again
Yes Dude Its Same Cam!! So call Mr. Newman and buy one for cheaper.
Read the writing on these posts..its the same cam.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...losed-why.html
And also this one
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...usion-jan.html

Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
WRT: Some Guy

WTF? How do you compare a product which is rendered inoperable with one whose only question is provenance, not performance?

FWIW: I don't have an aftermarket cam, and I will not be purchasing one.
Except that wasnt what i was comparing. I was comparing the difference (albeit somewhat poorly looking at it again) how to handle a potential PR problem successfully. My comparison was not intended to look at the difference between a HD and a cam but rather two different marketing/PR strategies.

I'll go back and edit my post for clarity and fine tune the comparison.

EDIT: I have edited my previous post to make a more effective comparison.

Last edited by Some Guy; 02-03-2009 at 08:56 PM.