Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW cam confusion. Jan? (CLOSED WHY?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RMW cam confusion. Jan? (CLOSED WHY?)

why did the thread get closed? and why is Jan not giving an answer??? am I understand that Jan's cam and Newmans cam ARE the same part?? or not?? I NEED an answer! i dont care if they are or not! i am not a "fanboy" of any manufacturer/vendor, actualy thats kinda gay if you ask me. but I just want to know is his better than Newmans or are they the same??? I don't know Jan and have never delt with him or Newman I just am looking for the best I can find and I know what I have read about newman's cams is good and RMW is good and just wanted to know if I should go with Newman or RMW or are they the same!!! EASY SIMPLE QUESTION!!! SO... Jan are they the same?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
IB4TL

Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
what?????? sorry I dont have over 10k post but WHAT???

Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry - IB4TL = In Before The Lock
After a thread gets locked, there are often follow up threads questioning said locking which, not-so-coincidentally get locked as well. IB4TL is a bit of a game, seeing who can 'get in' before the thread gets locked.

My take - folks that know have confirmed that Newman = RMW cam, and no amount of asking (here, anyway) will get a response. If you REALLY want to know, give Jan a call.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Cam Man
Neutral
[FONT=Arial]RMW are the exclusive dealer in the US on our Mini cams. I know people have some issues with RMW, but to us they are a good company who pay there bills and give good feed back on our products. The problem with internet forums is that every one is happy to spread bad news, but keep the good results to themselves. Which makes a good company look bad. Please work with people and not against them.[/FONT]

Ken Newman
Newman Cams
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Nazrin
4th Gear
I agree totally!!! Anyways Ken, please check your email ; )

Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Paul Webster
Banned
Welcome to NAM Ken

Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cam Man
[FONT=Arial]RMW are the exclusive dealer in the US on our Mini cams. I know people have some issues with RMW, but to us they are a good company who pay there bills and give good feed back on our products. The problem with internet forums is that every one is happy to spread bad news, but keep the good results to themselves. Which makes a good company look bad. Please work with people and not against them.[/FONT]

Ken Newman
Newman Cams
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
Ken,
The question was not really "is RMW using Newman Cams" The question is "are the Newman cams that RWM have been selling, (as is claimed on the RMW webpage HERE) his own custom grind to match the RMW head? The issue only came up when it was said that, allegedly, Newman itself stated that the RMW cam and Newman cam are one in the same to more then one person. It was that discrepancy that brought this question to light.
Many times it was stated here by RMW that his cams were not the same as any other Newman cam being sold for the Mini as they are his own grind that he spent his time and money developing. Here, Here, Here, and Here. But then this was added HERE which further lead some of us to believe that now RMW was starting to cover up. HERE

That's all. There are plenty of people on this and other forums that have been led to believe this and are now feeling a bit mislead.

Sorry you were drug into this mess. It was a simple question that was asked of RMW to which RMW declined to answer. I would imagine that you can.

Last edited by onasled; 01-30-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Cam Man
Neutral
RMW and Newman Cams are developing some new profiles as we speak.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 AM
onasled
Banned
Not sure how to interpret this answer, but I'm thinking that you find yourself in a very difficult position of not wanting to rat out a good customer, and the fact is that no custom grinds have been done by you for RMW and delivered to RMW at this point in time? That all cams that have been sold as RMW custom grinds were in fact the result of Newman's own investment of time, money, and hard work and are the same cam that any vendor or Mini Cooper and S customer would receive if purchased from you or any Newman distributer?

Or, am I just way off base, because I just can't seem to just get a straight answer.
So,
If I bought an RMW / Newman cam from RMW last week for my RMW head and tune, would I have received the same cam that you and all venders could have supplied me?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Ken,
The question was not really "is RMW using Newman Cams" The question is "are the Newman cams that RWM have been selling, (as is claimed on the RMW webpage HERE, that was removed within the last two days)
You keep saying its removed when its still on there website HERE

Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by drsilvermini
You keep saying its removed when its still on there website HERE
Apologize for that. I could not find it there yesterday but just may have overlooked it. Thanks for clearing that up. Still there.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 AM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i am having the strangest sensation of deja vu

Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think the question has been answered and if anybody is waiting for Jan to come here and press his lips firmly upon their behind, they are probably in for a very, very long wait. Just my 2 cents only.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
I have been away from NAM for over 4 years - returned last summer. While we have always had differences concerning tuners, vendors, manufacturers etc the overall tone has changed. There are more personal attacks, name calling and downright meaness. Attitude seems to be "not only is it important for me to suceed, but also for you to fail." NAM is supposed to be the site for those who love their Minis. So what if some is all about the bling or doing the most with the least, or doing the bleeding edge with an unlimited budget. Not interested in DICE - don't read the posts. Find what you are interested in, don't bash those who don't share your interest.

Concerning Jan and the RMW cam, maybe he did misrepresent the origin of the cam. The important thing is Jan makes it work. He is here in the good ol' USA, he stands behind his products and he gets results. Am I an RMW fan boy? No. Do I have any RMW products? Yes. I have the cam. I also have the Thumper head, Miltech header/cat, Magnaflow catback, M7 pulley, GRS intercooler, Alta CAI version 2 etc. We are all in the same boat. Stop punching holes in the bottom so those bailing can catch up.

This is just the oppinion of all old fart. Take it for what its worth. NAM is a great site - let's keep it that way.

PS - please excuse any spelling errors - I practice the art of creative spelling.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Ken,
The question was not really "is RMW using Newman Cams" The question is "are the Newman cams that RWM have been selling, (as is claimed on the RMW webpage HERE, that was removed within the last two days) his own custom grind to match the RMW head? The issue only came up when it was said that, allegedly, Newman itself stated that the RMW cam and Newman cam are one in the same to more then one person. It was that discrepancy that brought this question to light.
Many times it was stated here by RMW that his cams were not the same as any other Newman cam being sold for the Mini as they are his own grind that he spent his time and money developing. Here, Here, Here, and Here. But then this was added HERE which further lead some of us to believe that now RMW was starting to cover up. HERE

That's all. There are plenty of people on this and other forums that have been led to believe this and are now feeling a bit mislead.

Sorry you were drug into this mess. It was a simple question that was asked of RMW to which RMW declined to answer. I would imagine that you can.
That is a lot of research for someone who does not own any RMW or does not intend to buy any RMW. Sounds like some personal agenda going on here, especially since the question has been answered

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cam Man
RMW and Newman Cams are developing some new profiles as we speak.

Ken,

it needs to be clear here for the tifosi

You have already ground custom grinds for us and are adding more to our line-up

Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Alas....the master speaks.....Good on you Jan

Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
newbs49
Banned
You let the cat out of the bag. Now the secret of my car is out. You'll have to get the new grind for my car now once we add the new parts again.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Am I missing out??? I want one too...hehehe..

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
In know Jan is a man of few words. After spending a day with him at one of his tuning sessions, I'd say he doesn't say more than he needs to.
Honestly, if you (anyone) just call him you would find him forthcoming with answers to any question. I found this the case with Randy Webb, Peter of M7, Juston of CMC, Todd of TCE and the many other people who have helped me with some of the mods I have done to my car.

and honestly, I'm still very excited about getting a new cam for my car. I have Taiwanese coilovers, and will have a British cam--how cosmopolitan!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Q-4000
why did the thread get closed?
Did you not read the last thread? More specifically, the reasons given for closing it? Or did you mean to post "Can we start this conversation again so we can get an answer?"

Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I have Taiwanese coilovers
Taiwan is in Korea?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Taiwan is in Korea??? hahahah Thats the funniest thing Ive read all day...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
This is just incredible....

Isn't it against the rules to reopen a closed thread? Maybe get IB involved from afar and use their BANSTICK!

Seriously, I hope to meet you one day Onasled, you going to AMVIV? I would love to shake the hand of one of the biggest forum aholes I've never met.

Your doing nothing more than trying to hurt a mans business to benefit yours and your groupies egos, truly pathetic

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW cam confusion. Jan? (CLOSED WHY?)