Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

My Perfect Wax? Help Me Find It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Veak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Perfect Wax? Help Me Find It?

Ok, I read these forum a lot, and others too... I like detailing my car - but I am not a maniac either. Since I do not have the luxury of getting the space in our 1 car garage every night...my MCS spends most of its life out in the elements. Sure detailing is lost on this car...It is hard to keep the car clean as dew tends to spot of the car every morning and a lot of roads on my way to work have water on them, so lets just say that short of washing it every day...it looks dirty a lot. So even if I use zymol or zaino my car will look dirty pretty quickly...

I am really after protection...my car is Indi Blue and black, so it looks dirty and swirl marks would be visible on such a dark car if it was not taken care of... (reminds me of why my other car is silver...its easy to take car of)

Here is my dream wax criteria:

1. Protects the Paint
2. Does not turn trim white
3. Looks good after its weekly wash

I do not care about super duper depth of shine since the car gets dirty so quickly I just used. Meguirs NXT was and like the ease of use, but it still turns trim white if you are sloppy. I have used Blitz wax for years..it is one of the best carnuba waxes out there, it lasts a while...but oh man if it gets on the black plastic...FOREGET IT!! It takes a lot of peanut butter , citri-solve etc to get off. Any suggestions?? Zaino sounds interesting but its $$ and pretty labor intensive. Zymol is $$ but I hear it does not last that long...

Old 06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been very happy with Klasse products. Doesn't discolor the trim, very easy to use, great shine. My MINI is outside all the time, too, and looks fantastic!

Old 06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
Actually, I think Zaino is far LESS labor intensive. Granted the initial application requires a bit of work to remove your old wax and start fresh with Zaino. However, after that Zaino is actually much less work than any other wax I've ever used IMHO. 3 coats of wax can be applied in 3 hours or less without even breaking a sweat, and it doesn't turn white on the black plastic trim.

The extra cost is worth it to me just for the time and effort it saves.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:12 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I prefer Zaino. Everything your looking for and durable for those who's Minis must sit out for extended periods.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
I am going to get some of Meguiars NXT for my Mini and my wifes Caravan:smile:

Old 06-25-2004, 11:02 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I just applied some 'Black Again' to the trim that had turned hazy white due to Zaino. it is too early to tell if it will hold up but so far so good. i got it from Auotgeeks.net

I think Zaino is easy cuz it does not require lots of buffing just put on wait a little while and wipe off.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:50 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Veak,

Based on your needs, I would sugest Klasse all in one. It will give you a great look, similar to Zaino and NXT. It will last longer than NXT, and is comparable to Zaino. It is cheaper than Zaino and should be easier to find. It is as easy to apply as NXT. Easier than Zaino. No mixing needed. It will not cause your trim to turn white, in fact if your trim is already white, Klasse will clean it and protect it. It is great on glass. You can put a few capfuls in a bucket of water and use it as shampoo. I even put a capful in a spray botttle and use it as a quick detailer.

If I could only have one product it would be Klasse hands down.

Having said all this about Klasse, I still use Zaino on my MINI. I really enjoy pampering, and I think Zaino's shine is just a notch above the rest.

I do use Klasse in the winter when the car gets more dirty because it is has great paint cleaning porperties.

Good luck.

Andy

PS. I don't like the smell of Klasse. smells like parts cleaner

Old 06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
BostonMarkC
4th Gear
I also think you'd be best off with the Klasse.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
rcoopers
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sbgobig
I just applied some 'Black Again' to the trim that had turned hazy white due to Zaino. it is too early to tell if it will hold up but so far so good. i got it from Auotgeeks.net

I think Zaino is easy cuz it does not require lots of buffing just put on wait a little while and wipe off.
the zaino caused the trim to turn a hazy white?i have been using zaino for over 3 years on other cars and now my S with no problems on any type of trim...what do you think caused that to happen?

Old 06-25-2004, 01:33 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
it had to be either Zaino (approx. 30 coats) or p21s (1 coat).

I read about a guy who put p21s over Zaino and I tried it but did not really like it so now I only use Zaino.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:51 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rcoopers
the zaino caused the trim to turn a hazy white?i have been using zaino for over 3 years on other cars and now my S with no problems on any type of trim...what do you think caused that to happen?
I agree. I have never had this be an issue with Zaino. This is a Carnauba problem for sure or any protectant that is hydroscopic or contains petroleum based cleaners. Zaino is polymer based. It doesn't soak up water. Klasse is a different make-up but is also non-hydroscopic.

I have over 30 brands of polishes/waxes/sealants in my arsenal and my favorite is Zaino. I find that Zaino is actually easier to use than Klasse. It will wipe off easier. Zaino wipes off easiest when it has fully dried which depends on ambient conditions. The less humidity and the warmer it is, the faster it will dry. A coat generally dries fully for me in 20 minutes. If you try to wipe off sooner it is a bit more difficult. Zaino produces the least powder or residue when polishing off. Zaino coats should be VERY thin. And you can layer them to increase the effect. Zaino absolutely has the "slickest" feel of the sealants. And the Z6 quick detailer is one of the best. It also helps boost the shine/protection between applications. Durability changes under differing conditions but I rarely wax my cars (other than a touch up) more than twice a year.

Klasse is also a great sealant and makes a durable base for those who like to experiment with different carnauba toppers. (I do all the time.) I find the absolute gloss and slickness to be 2nd to Zaino but excellent in it's own right. Can't go wrong with Klasse either, really.

Both are MUCH more durable than NXT, Blackfire, etc, etc.

But BEST wax? We are all different, like different things and have different budgets. Have fun experimenting! That's what we do at my detailing clinics. (If you are in the St. Louis area, contact me for dates)

Check out the detailing forum at Autopia (www.autopia.org) for even more information.

Brad Bloomquist
Autopia Car Care Moderator

Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
rcoopers
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sbgobig
it had to be either Zaino (approx. 30 coats) or p21s (1 coat).

I read about a guy who put p21s over Zaino and I tried it but did not really like it so now I only use Zaino.
COULD VERY WELL BE THE P21S I ADMIT I TRIED THIS ONCE ON ANOTHER CAR AND HAD SOME HAZING OF THE TRIM AREAS!!

Old 06-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Veak
2nd Gear
Thanks for all of the helpful tips...klasse sounds interesting. I know zaino is good...but klasse looks a bit less complicated and its a bit cheaper.

I'll let you know which way I go.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:46 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Whichever sealant you choose, remember that it's much more effective and durable if you are sure that remove ALL old coats of wax. The best way to do this is to mix a dab of Dawn dishwashing detergent in a bucket of water and wash the car prior to using new wax. Dawn is a highly alkaline detergent and will strip off old stuff and make the surface prep ready for new wax. (It is not harmful but remember, this is just for stripping wax. Don't do this weekly or you will be taking wax off.) Use a proper shampoo for regular washing.

Also, be sure you remove any swirls or scratches and I would suggest you clay the car prior to waxing. This takes only 30-45 minutes and will make a HUGE difference in the feel of the surface. It makes it ultra slick.

And remember, regular shampooing is not necessarily for just dirt removal. It really helps "lift" the dirt so you don't scratch the car or cause swirls when washing. Use a REAL wool mitt ($20+) or a 100% cotton chenille mitt ($6) only. Rinse it OFTEN. Only dry with microfiber waffle weave towels (preferred) or white, 100% cotton Fieldcrest bath towels.

Most damage is caused when washing your own car. Get the proper tools.:smile:

Old 07-01-2004, 11:25 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Jag?

Brad is that a XK140 FHC in the photo? I used to own one (same color) and am still killing myself for selling it over 20 years ago. Seeing that photo is going to bring back the nightmares again! Arrggh!
God what was I thinking?!?! You don't live in Mass do you?

Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Ha! LOL!

I live in St. Louis.

Actually, it's a 1958 XK 150 FHC. Great car, a blast to drive.

Brad

Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
I remember correctly mine drove like a truck. A very FAST truck. Mine was a 52 or 54. With that steering I didn't need to lift weights back then. heh heh.

Since I have you here and your a detailing guy, i have a question. I was researching (how I came across the post with the Jag) about to make a purchase of Zaino and saw some talk about using AOI underneath the Z2. What is AOI? Do I really need to purchase the ZFX to use with the Z2.

The Cooper S is only 2 months old and haven't polished it yet (wasn't sure which product I wanted).

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
cabmeister
3rd Gear
Both My son and I will be picking up our babies in a little under 2 weeks , and have been slowly getting together our special stuff for the MCS`s .

We decided to go with both the Klasse products and as top coat the P 21 S .
Not having any exspeariance with any of this stuff we were sort of at the mercy of recomendations. Well to cut it short ,my son has a 02 civic which he is giving to his MOM and we cleaned it today . Just for jollys I thought we should at least try the Carnuba (P 21 S ) , and OMG what a pleasant suprise .

NO efort with WAX ON <> WAX OFF :smile: ,usage was well "hardly any at all "and what a finnish ,really smashing .
I would, on just one use recomend this product to any one .

Old 07-05-2004, 06:49 PM
115hp
5th Gear
P21S is great stuff because it's so easy. I get S100 at a Harley shop and it's supposed to be the same thing, yet cheaper ($15).

The Klasse AIO also would be my "one and only" if I had to pick.

I just tried Meg's NXT for the first time today, just to see what all the fuss is. I was not disappointed. Let's see if it holds up longer than S100/P21S.

Old 07-06-2004, 05:30 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagunacat
Since I have you here and your a detailing guy, i have a question. I was researching (how I came across the post with the Jag) about to make a purchase of Zaino and saw some talk about using AOI underneath the Z2. What is AOI? Do I really need to purchase the ZFX to use with the Z2.

The Cooper S is only 2 months old and haven't polished it yet (wasn't sure which product I wanted).

Thanks!
You do NOT want to put Klasse All In One underneath Zaino. Zaino will not bond correctly if you do. It will also hamper the reflectivity of the Zaino.

Klasse AIO is an excellent polymer sealant with cleaners in the formula. Klasse Sealant Glaze (these are sometimes known as the Klasse Twins) is the same thing without the cleaners. A pure protectant, like Zaino. If you do proper prep you do not need a cleaner wax/sealant. Klasse is very good and I have used it a lot but prefer Zaino as it ultimately has an argueably higher shine and a definetely slicker surface. They both will outlast just about any other so-called polymer like NXT, etc and are more durable than ANY carnauba product like P21S, Pinnacle, Blitz, etc.

I am a big Zaino fan and have it on several of my cars. Here is my list of Zaino needs:
1. Z2, this is the main high gloss polish. Get this.
2. Z6, this is the quick detailer, great stuff, boosts the shine and protection. Get this.
3. Z7, one of the best shampoos on the market, works well with the system and helps to keep the sine and slicknes at a max. It also lifts dirt well so you can avoid scratching when washing. I suggest you get this.
4. ZFX, this is not absolutely necessary but worth the expense. Let me explain how Zaino works. Zaino applies like any wax. You spread on VERY thin coats and when dry wipe off. It is one of the easiest on-off processes around. But the Zaino coat, even when dry and buffed off, needs 6 or so hours to "cure" and bond to the surface for maximum durability. This means you have to wait 6 hours to layer on another coat of Zaino. If you only want one coat, (which is perfectly fine) then you are set. But one huge advantage of Zaino is the ability to add multiple layers and increase the shine and wet look and slickness of the finish. It's very cool. I have at least half a dozen layers on each car.

ZFX is simply a chemical catalyst that allows the Zaino to instantly cure. This means you can add layer after layer immediately. It's just a time saver. It's not complicated at all. Zaino gives you a small 2 OZ. bottle and you add some drops of the ZFX, shake it up and start waxing. That simple.

5. Z5 is similar to Z2 only it has some limited "filling" capabilities to help hide swirls. I would pass on this one and simply do proper prep.

6. Z18 (I think) Zaino Clay is excellent. Zaino, Mothers, Clay Magic are all excellent clays. Get one. Use one. Even on a new car. The difference will amaze you. It will take 30 minutes to do a whole MINI.

Also remember to get the proper microfiber towels for wiping off polish, waffleweaves for drying and the proper mitts for washing. The right tools are VERY important.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
I ended up ordering the ZFX and the Z2. I'll try those 2 to begin with. I didn't think about getting the clay since the car is new. I guess I will next order. I am all set with the micro fiber towels and washing mitt.

Thanks much for your feedback!

Gregory

Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Good luck. You'll be quite pleased.

SERIOUSLY consider getting some clay to prep for waxing. It is a VERY fast and easy job and the results are incredible. I will guarantee you it will make a difference.

Most any clay will work. Get something at the local store. Mothers would be the first choice and Meguiars the last choice.
Eventually you will want to get at least the Z6 Quick Detailer because EVERY detailer needs that in his arsenal. You can do touch ups between washes and the lubricity allows even a fairly dusty car to be cleaned without fear of causing your own swirls.

You're off to a great start!

Old 07-07-2004, 08:25 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
I forgot to mention that I did pick up some Meguiares Quik Detailer so I am all set with that. I think I will take your advice and use the clay first. The Zaino just shipped yesterday so I have the time. Hopefully I can find it locally. I'll update on my progress.

Thanks again!

Gregory

Old 07-07-2004, 09:14 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Good deal.

You can use your quick detailer as a lube for the clay but a much easier (and cheaper) way is to wash your car with a good auto shampoo and use that as a lube when claying. Just keep splashing up some soapy water. It's the fastest way to clay.

An important note I forgot to mention: For BEST Zaino results, after you are done claying (and before drying the car) and the car is clean, soap up and wash the car again with a solution of Dawn Dishwashing detergent as a shampoo. This final rinse with Dawn will strip off any old waxes, residues and leave your car squeeky clean prepped for Zaino. (or any first coat of any wax) Dawn is very alkaline which is great for cleaning off old residues and perfecting a base for new sealants. The better the bond of the new sealant the better it will look and, more importantly, the longer it will last. This "Dawn wash" as we call it, is a common tried and true detailer prep step. Even Sal Zaino recommends it. You can get a tiny bottle of Dawn for $.50 at the grocery store.

I know, this starts to sound complicated, but it's the little things that set a truly "detailed" car apart.

Have "shiny" fun!

Old 07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
excelawashguy
Neutral
Magic in a Bottle !!

[font=Arial][size=2]You have a new product that has entered the market that is getting a lot of attention.
Some are calling it, "magic in a bottle". It is so good.
Excelawash - Waterless Car Wash & Wax
It leaves the finish with a touch of velvet.
Visit the website http://www.excelawash.com
Click on Buy Now and enter the sponsor name -- excelawashguy
The product is delivered to your door.
I'd like to hear from you after you use the product.
[/size][/font]

Last edited by dave; 07-11-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: My Perfect Wax? Help Me Find It?