Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

D-Series VTEC MiniTec Pickup joining the fleet

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D-Series VTEC MiniTec Pickup joining the fleet

Hey folks,

In other threads I've recently eluded to being a Mini owner--sort of. After the nudging of a couple MiniTec survivors, I decided to share the low-down on my entry into a bi-racial mini world:

This restoration/conversion utilizes the D-16Y8 Vtec engine, which as you can see, fits under the original hood & fenders. For me, one of the endearing aspects of classic Minis are the 10" wheels. I reigned in my lust for the unbridled raw, crazy acceleration of B and K-series engines for a gentler, kinder horsepower, allowing the "truck" to run reasonably on 10" toy tires. I fell in love with this chipmunk hauler while "touring" the MiniTec factory back in July. Just like the stereotypical new pet adoption story, I was not there to get one--I merely wanted to look and test drive these puppies. And then BJ, of MiniTec, had to put a serious wrinkle in my life (and wallet) by unveiling this pickup shell, which was literally under wraps. All I could think (and say) was Holy Sh#@... a pickup? That's for me!

A blown K-series Vtec mini is a hard act to follow, but I thought maybe a few out there would be interested in seeing either a pickup--or a conversion to the Diminuative D.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Heck yeah. I had thoughts of doing that with my pickup, but already had way too much into it. If it was just a shell, it definitely would have gotten the VTEC treatment. Can't wait to see your project get underway!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
dimini
6th Gear
2PHUN,

Your pickup is (was?) incredibly awesome. That would have been hard to part with.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Latka
5th Gear
A D series swap with 10" wheels... that's what I want to do in the future!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dimini
2PHUN,

Your pickup is (was?) incredibly awesome. That would have been hard to part with.
Was :( ... sold it a few months ago and really miss it. Got to sit in a friend's pickup last night, so that helped a bit My Mini City is supposed to ship tomorrow, so again a bit more comfort.

But I'll still drool every time I see a pickup like yours. You'll have to take me for a ride when you get it done!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Hey 2phun,

Good to see your miniCity ready to ship. I want to see pix and hear about it.

I haven't sorted out what seats to use in the pickup just yet. Had originally considered either Corbeau Classics or Cobra Classics until having sat in what I think was a Cobra Classic. Yikes, my tuches, which comfortably fits into 30" Levis, (old school jeans-I know) was too huge for these scrawny buckets. Are Corbeau and Cobra classics designed only for 11-year old ballerinas? Now that's Niche marketing. I may just use Mini seats...

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
meno
4th Gear
Alas! Alas!

Thanks, Dimini! It's good to see the project...the icon...the dilemma...the obsession...the fellowship of the ring...blah blah blah.

For those new to this...the D series is PLENTY of horsepower for any rational human being.

I had lunch today with Norman from MiniTec as he's out in our neck of the woods so I hate to report to you that progress is likely slow this week on your shiny little truck. BUT that can't be all too surprising now can it. Work always accelerates on the MiniTec campus when money gets tight.

What color interior? What dash cluster? What dash material?

Last edited by meno; 09-14-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 PM
dimini
6th Gear
What color of interior? Haven't sorted that out yet, but I like the traditional two-tone style of MK1's with contrasting seat cushions/bolsters with similar contrasting door cards and parcel shelf cards. All pickups were spec'ed with Mk1 style doors & open dash w/center binnacle guage. In the spirit of the original, I'd like to keep the dash open w/parcel shelf and a centered oval binnacle with a few gauges. Don't yet have that sorted, either. OEM pickup cabins are a bit too spartan for me, though, so I'd like to dress it up with a few "S" type bits like chrome kickplates on the doors, etc. And of course, in contradiction to the "spirit of the original" I plan to junk up the cabin with a creature comfort, AIR CONDITIONING. This is one area where comfort over rides style.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
2phun
4th Gear
If you are going for S bits and want buckets, why not take a peek at some S buckets. They are quite sharp, if not a bit on the expensive side. And the best part, they look more accommodating than most buckets! I'll browse around and see if I can find the photo links I was looking at before.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Nice truck!! I like it alot! I can't wait to see it. First dibs on a ride in it.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Not the exact ones I was looking for, but these might do the trick
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/min...ies=145&type=1
or maybe
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/min...ies=145&type=1

Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Keith Irtenkauf
1st Gear
Dmini pickup

Hey Dmini,
The photos of the pickup look great!! What a perfect package the D motor will be with the original shell and 10" wheels.

Please keep feeding us photos and updates as you get them!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 PM
meno
4th Gear
Dimini - have you seen this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...QQcmdZViewItem

Lamini had it posted on MM and thought you might like to see it...

Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Meno-

I just checked it out. Yikes! Also looked at the comments in the MM thread--which are bit more reality-based than the "buy it now" offer. I've seen pickups sell between $12K and $17ish but not double that.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Just in... a couple of new spy photos taken from an insider at the Minitec factory. I'm told that other folks' projects (who came in before me) are wrapping up and they'll be able to focus more time and dedication to my truck soon. Does anyone remember the Subaru Brat pick-up, featuring a backward facing joy seat in the bed? They even had "hold on for your life" handles on each side . FWIW, I can't explain this seat, but it's not going to be a mini variant of the Brat .

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
meno
4th Gear
Your rig is in the "wiring" station which once belonged to Patrick.

Understanding the progress standards and methods of MT, I think it's safe to say you'll be getting your car by April. (Insert sinister Mr. Burns laugh here)

I used to love those "Brats" - safety laws usurped all kinds of fun! If someone still owns one of those Brats, is it legal to still ride in those seats? I'm mean after all, if you have lap belts in an old rig, you don't have to upgrade to lap and shoulder belts...right?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that I have a classic, I really want a truck as a SECOND classic... Go figure. the idea of a VTAC powered Mini of any kind is simply amazing, and I WILL do it one day, either from miniTek (if I can afford it) or via another route... Keep the photos coming!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Hey Meno,

thanks for the info. I had no idea that it's parked in the wiring station. Maybe this is when/where I need to interject my wishes for a couple of cool items like #1) a "hidden main power" on/off switch (cheap security system + possible battery management should it ever sit longer than a week) and
#2) pull out the dim/cheapo tungsten headlights and replace them with Angel Eyes or something else that's brighter.

And ImagoX, what happened to your Vert? You went from oranges to grapes?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh - you didn't hear?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...play.php?f=152

then...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=118093

last...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=119424

And if you have then swap the stock headlamps for brighter versions, tell them to wire them to come on via relay, as opposed to sending the entire voltage across the cabin switch - there are many reports of the higher lamp voltage melting the switch, and besides, they should properly be wired to work via relay anyway. they'll know what you're talking about.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Imago,

All I can say at the moment is... Wow!
I hope others take the time to check out your threads. I've been a bit narrow-sighted on NAM lately and spend my time on classic minis and R53's and completely missed your stories about Nano. FWIW, I'm glad you went "Grape" on us--new car, new adventures rather than recreating the past. Good for you and those are very nice travelogue pix!

Now, back to my pickup...

My aesthetic delimma is how to treat the load bay (bed) as it's a bit too beat up for shiny red paint. Minitec suggests spraying it with a black bed liner. I like the idea of having a durable, rough surface, which helps hide the dings, but I'm not sure I like contrasting black color in the bed, though. Does anyone know if spray-on bed liners come in custom colors? If so, I'd match the body w/red.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
2phun
4th Gear
I love the look of those tires sticking out on there. Very redneckish! Here's to hoping you aren't putting arches on it

Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Redneckish? That's funny. Sorry, it's getting Wood & Pickett arches.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dimini
Now, back to my pickup...

My aesthetic delimma is how to treat the load bay (bed) as it's a bit too beat up for shiny red paint. Minitec suggests spraying it with a black bed liner. I like the idea of having a durable, rough surface, which helps hide the dings, but I'm not sure I like contrasting black color in the bed, though. Does anyone know if spray-on bed liners come in custom colors? If so, I'd match the body w/red.
I looked up on the internet about you bed liner and Rhino Liner does make it in any color you want. It's called Solar Max. http://www.rhinolinings.com/products.php?id=35 It looks like regular paint but it's the actual rhino liner material in color.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Thanks for the tip on Rhinolinings. Among their various products, they do make a color-pigmented liner, and I checked with a local reseller, who coincidentally served as a beta-tester for the new product. Unfortunately, that reseller no longer carries the product as they were unwilling to guarantee the color to not fade, despite the mfg's claims.

So, if I'm going to have a spray-in bedliner, it looks like contrasting black color is my option.

I had no idea that some of Rinolinings products are used in military apps and actually have bullet-proof, bomb-resisting qualities! Yikes--must be pretty darned strong.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
dimini, let me know you like the D Series......i just got a heads up from a friend that he has one sitting in his garage for me for free......comes with everything......i really wanted to do a vtec, but for free......i guess i can go this route.......

Quick Reply: D-Series VTEC MiniTec Pickup joining the fleet