Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

D-Series VTEC MiniTec Pickup joining the fleet

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, I thought everyone would love the chrome carpet. I was considering matching seats, but sheesh--maybe not.

And the steering wheel? Don't panic, its just a mock-up as we're working on ways to expand leg room in the cab. These little rascals inspired the advent of King Cabs!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Rocan
4th Gear
i like your ideas. but how about the viewing area? glass floor maybe?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM
2phun
4th Gear
I just had a thought regarding the seats. I've heard that the seats on the new Fiat 500s are extremely thin but also quite comfortable (considering) for the same reason...lack of space. Maybe you could look at getting a set of those shipped over and fitted?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM
gasmini03
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dimini
Sadly, I thought everyone would love the chrome carpet. I was considering matching seats, but sheesh--maybe not.

And the steering wheel? Don't panic, its just a mock-up as we're working on ways to expand leg room in the cab. These little rascals inspired the advent of King Cabs!
I was wondering where I could get some of that magical chrome carpet for my 63 pickup? By the way I go by gasmini on the truck forum.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Keith Irtenkauf
1st Gear
D-mini pickup

Don,
Your pickup is looking really sweet! I can't wait to see it complete. Hang in there bro' patience is a virtue! I'm really glad you're sticking with the 10" wheels, it'll look great.

I talked to BJ a couple of weeks ago and I did get my new column wiring harnesses. It's just too cold and snowy here in the Motor City to work in the garage. It's going to be all of minus 3 degrees here tonight. I just go outside and hug the wee beast in this weather. The battery tender is the only thing really keeping it warm right now.

If you're looking for some sporty seats, check out http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...OD&ProdID=7012 for sparco modena seats for your trucklette. They're really, really comfortable and they fit a mini (well, they fit a coupe). They're stupidly expensive, but at this point, money is only an object. For me, the whole VTEC mini project for me was much like what I heard a vintage racer once describe the cost of racing: "it's like standing in a wind tunnel whilst holding a fist of $1,000 bills." Seriously, you could still spend more money on a dodgy old 911 and have less fun.

Keep the photos and updates coming!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Keith, Sparco Medena recliners... Very nice--for a saloon. I'm afraid trucklettes haven't the room to utilize the functions of these seats, though. Think in terms like small footprint, minimalist, or limited real estate. Keeping the 10s--Absolutely! And, I'd consider a gun rack and buy a BB gun (don't all pick-ups come standard with gun racks?), but I don't think there's room unless I use the stock as my headrest.

Gasmini, in a global sense, we're neighbors. I'll go look for you on the truck forum. Definitely have to get together when I become more than a virtual owner. I'm told there's a pickup in Independence and I know of one near St. Louis.

2phun, I'll do a search on the new Fiat 500, but that might be to much a challenge to source those seats.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Rocan
4th Gear
lookin forward to it man! hows the progress going?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
mazda miata seats look like a pretty good fit in the mini. Some models had speakers built into the headrests.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Progress is slow, Rocan, but worth it. Bought the trucklette last July and word is that it will be done this spring. When do Georgians welcome in Spring?

Miata seats are a popular conversion as you'll note if you look at MiniTec's gallery of customer cars. I think they might be too high-backed for the pickup, though. Pickup seats (if you're taller than 5'5'') are pushed back against the cab. I would think that a lower-back seat allows you more room w/out having to adjust the seatbacks straight up in a "dining room chair" position.

I'd love to see one of these tall guys, like BigNorm, squeeze into a pick-up. That would be a funny photo!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I wanna try and squeeze in it Don. LOL

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Rocan
4th Gear
why dont you extend the cab a few inches? it will have a meaner look and be more comfortable

Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM
dimini
6th Gear
MiniTec came through for me and sourced these rare, 1st gen. tail lights for my Trucklette. Yippeee!

So what's the big dang deal? Nothin', unless you're feeling like an 8-yr old who checks the mailbox twice daily hoping to find the magic Capn Crunch decoder ring you paid for with two box tops.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM
meno
4th Gear
Them boyz ain't half bad, are they?

On a side note, that bumper is about as useful as a bra on a man! What is that truly going to do?

Looks good though, DMini!

June...it'll be June.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Latka
5th Gear
No Mini bumper is going to do squat. They're just decorative pieces. The pickup / van / clubman bumpers are harder to find though, so for your decorative piece you get to pay more!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
dimini
6th Gear
What is the bumper truly going to do?

Lance... You makin' fun of my stubby bumpers? I think their sole purpose is to weight a pound less than your full length bumper.

Seriously, though, I read in one of my classic mini books that the two piece bumper was a cost reduction measure during production. Granted, I know little about production, but I have a hard time thinking that the pickup assembly line would have saved much money by cutting off ~16'' of bumper material. We're not talking gold-plating here. Wouldn't the material savings be less than the cost of retooling to build a variant bumper? Talk about cost cutting, pickups were virtually unchanged throughout their entire 22 (23?)years of production.

Last edited by dimini; 02-20-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Build update: Why is my pickup not finished yet? Hint: because of three K-series conversions in the background of the photo, below, which are apparently in front of me.

Below is a quick/crude photoChop alteration that I created to help visualize what the final interior colors might look like. Two-tone Miata seats with matching light gray door cards, headliner and dash back panel.

And, below is a mock-up showing W&P flares. I grabbed these used ones from a junk bin (they coincidentally are red), and hung them onto the fenders for a sneak preview. The suspension height will be lowered (hopefully about 2" in front and back for better COG and to fill the arches with tires/wheels-not air.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Looks great! I really like the concept you have for the interior. Updated, but still classically simple. I'm guessing you've actually been inside to test out the seats? How do you like the fit? I may have missed it earlier, but what are the sizes for your wheels and tires? They're a good look.

That van in the background is one to drool over as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
meno
4th Gear
Ahhhhh, the little June bride...sorry I couldn't resist.

The K series estate was there back when I was there last May! The other two K's, if memory serves me right, are from the Brazilian who ordered two at a time. BJ probably told him they take three months. That guy ordered those the week before I arrived.

I did say June Bride, right? I should include '09 first so to be clear.

Any photos of the other car that's in front of you...the supercharged Z car rear drive K20A2?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
The truck is lookin good. They just had those flares laying around in the trash bin??

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIxB
The truck is lookin good. They just had those flares laying around in the trash bin??
I suspect that they yanked them off to replace with a proper set of Sportpack arches...

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM
dimini
6th Gear
...I'm guessing you've actually been inside to test out the seats? How do you like the fit? I may have missed it earlier, but what are the sizes for your wheels and tires? They're a good look.
2phun: I spent two days there sitting in the cab playing like an 8-year old. We switched back and forth between the Miata seats and later model Mini seats. As all mini owners know, comfort is a concept of compromise, especially in a pickup. I liked the idea and look of the Mini seats, but I like the Miata seats better as they are smaller, sit lower and allow me the critical extra inch of leg room--still not enough, but what the heck. They also have a better sliding rail system than OE mini seats. With the Mini seats, my sight line was in the upper 2" of the windshield. The wheels are 10x6 Revos with 165x70 Yoko A048 tires. (a vital part of my mini goKart addiction are the tiny 10s.)

Meno: You're funny, and right. The two K saloons are going to Brazil--and BJ told me the guy is... well, let's just say he's getting less patient with the progress. I didn't shoot the other builds as it felt a bit intrusive, almost like spy photos--and I'm not a spy. The Zcars build was in the rough, 1st stages of deconstruction/fitting- not a pretty photo, yet.

The W&P flares came from a used parts bin-not a trash bin. I literally propped them up against the fenders to get a glimpse of what my "bride" may look like on "wedding day June '09 " to quote meno. "Proper Sportpack" arches would dwarf the tiny 10s--it would look like a ghetto ride from the 80's (was that PC?).

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM
dimini
6th Gear

Ok, this is my only spy photo of other builds. This is an MTK build. I don't know which K engine, though. Notice the custom side windows and rear tail lights? It has blindingly bright rear LED lights. I'd call it a mini street rod.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
meno
4th Gear
Yup, that's a sweet ultra custom rig - a hearse for Billy Bardy. It's a K20A2 with THE SIX speed! Been there almost 2 years......tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic...I don't like the gap in the wheel wells - needs to be lower and/ or get a 75 series tire.

Great call on the W&P flares - you are absolutely right about the scale. Love the 10" wheels.

Is there any reason, other than the obvious of visiting you so I can go for a ride in that low bad machine, to bring me out to Kansas City? What do people do out there anyway?

By the way, you're pretty good with a camera; a little more practice you might make a livin' at it.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Meno, I agree on the wheel well clearance on the traveller. Two years build time? EEKS! Good thing mine was nearly half finished when I signed on. I'm amazed that nobody has ribbed me for posting fake photos of my trucklette. (I figured if there are no real updates to share, at least I could show folks what I hope the damned thing will look like in the end...)

Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
travis 10 incher
2nd Gear
Spy Pics.... Not really. I had the guys send me a few pics of how the arches have been modified on the estate to prevent rocks from sandblasting the car everytime your wheels turn.

Quick Reply: D-Series VTEC MiniTec Pickup joining the fleet