3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

Trip to the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 12:29 AM
hyobum
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to the Dragon

Hello all,

Since I coudn't attend the MINIs on the Dragon in May, I thought that I should go out there and check it out during the July fourth weekend. If anyone else is going on that weekend it would be great. I don't want to be the only MINI on the Dragon!

I'm so excited to go, and I have to say I'm a little bit nervous as to what is going to happen. I'm planning to ride the entire "Loop". If anyone has any advice or precautions it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I will definately post some pictures (and maybe a video if I can borrow my friend's video camera) when I get back.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
1) STAY WITHIN THE LINES AT ALL TIMES! This may sound trite, but it not only is difficult [and therein lies the challenge of the Dragon], but it is DEADLY if you do not [you are not the only one on the road...there are other competitive drivers each way, as well as bikers, and sightseers, too, and occasional trucks, RVs or trailers]. If you get pressed by someone coming up hard behind you, there ARE pulloffs---DON'T be too proud to use them. Besides, the troopers will be watching VERY closely that weekend for people who do not abey the law. 2) Drive it the first time or two at your own pace. It's good to get a "feel" for the roadway. 3) Drive Rt. 28, from Deal's Gap to Fontana for some more twisty fun. 4) Follow 129 to Robbinsville and then to the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains for a dropdead beautiful ride through sweeping curves and mountain highway.

Good luck! Motor safely!

Old 06-25-2005, 10:26 AM
hyobum
5th Gear
Thanks for all the advice.

I really can't tell myself enough times to stay inside the lines, from what I've seen on The Dragon website it seems like almost anything can happen even if I stay IN my lines.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Batgirl555
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hyobum
Thanks for all the advice.

I really can't tell myself enough times to stay inside the lines, from what I've seen on The Dragon website it seems like almost anything can happen even if I stay IN my lines.
Anything does happen even when you do stay in your own lines - but if you find yourself crossing the yellow - SLOW DOWN!!!! Honestly the best advice you can get from anyone regarding the dragon is watch your lane crossing and don't do it. I never thought much about it until I went for MOTD - now I know better and watch my crossing like a hawk. It's blind corner after blind corner, with everything from crotch rockets to HUGE semi's coming around (half the time they're in your lane too). Seriously - it's more enjoyable going slow and controlled and in your lane than fast and out of control.

Enjoy the drive - it's a fabulous drive, but the police will be out enmass that weekend as it's a holiday weekend. Just be careful and enjoy!!

Old 06-25-2005, 11:38 AM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
if only i'd known sooner - already made plans for the 4th - sure do miss that dragon

Old 06-25-2005, 11:53 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: Like Welshie and Batgirl said above, stay in your lane! My best advice, and I've been to the Dragon 5 times now, is drive it as smoothly as you can for maximum enjoyment.

And be sure to have everything well tied down in your MINI, as things will start shifting around as you carve those twisties!

When you get to The Crossroads of Time (at Deal's Gap), be sure to go into the little store and buy one of the super-cool MINI decals they've created for us (little dragon inside of the wings).

Also, when you get to either the Overlook or Tabcat Bridge, pop your bonnet and let your engine cool off a little. Should be pretty warm on the July 4th weekend.....have a great time!

Clover
MMC#2

Old 06-26-2005, 08:16 PM
hyobum
5th Gear
I was just curious, how does The Dragon deal with tires?

If I'm driving at a slow pace and nothing overworking the tires, about how many times can I run The Dragon? My tires are stock runflats, Dunlop SP500 I think. They're brand new too, just changed them last week.

I also plan to do the the entire Loop too.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
i have runflats and didn't have any trouble (other than the squeeling) and they are still fine but i didn't drive 50 around some of the curves like some people - i ran it about 6 or 7 times that weekend so if you're are brand new - you should be ok!
Originally Posted by hyobum
I was just curious, how does The Dragon deal with tires?

If I'm driving at a slow pace and nothing overworking the tires, about how many times can I run The Dragon? My tires are stock runflats, Dunlop SP500 I think. They're brand new too, just changed them last week.

I also plan to do the the entire Loop too.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:19 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
:smile: Your tires will be fine, hyobum! I've driven my Dunlop Performance Runflats on the Dragon, as well as friends' Yokohamas (non-runflats), and both were great.

Clover

Old 06-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
My factory Dunlops did great at MOTD too. One bit of advice - overinflate the tires a bit. Don't go overboard, but a bit more pressure will help to stiffen the tire up more, which is a great help when cornering. I inflate mine to 40 or 42 psi. The tire can withstand over 50, if I'm not mistaken, so there is still a reasonable tolerance.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Edge
My factory Dunlops did great at MOTD too. One bit of advice - overinflate the tires a bit. Don't go overboard, but a bit more pressure will help to stiffen the tire up more, which is a great help when cornering. I inflate mine to 40 or 42 psi. The tire can withstand over 50, if I'm not mistaken, so there is still a reasonable tolerance.
Hmmm....I usually inflate to 36 PSI...I'll try 40 next time! Thanks!

Clover

Old 06-27-2005, 12:43 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
The sidewalls of the run flats are plenty stiff. I ran mine 36 to 38 PSI and had great results.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
I may be up there on Saturday, look for me in a CR/B S.

You're going to Love it. There's nothing like The Tail of the Dragon. Even in the Southern Appalachian's, where GREAT roads are literally everywhere, 129 is unique.

Be careful. If it rains, be reeeaal careful.

Here's a link to several good area maps. I have found the "radar enforcement" map to be very accurate. :smile:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html

Old 06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
hyobum
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles
I may be up there on Saturday, look for me in a CR/B S.

You're going to Love it. There's nothing like The Tail of the Dragon. Even in the Southern Appalachian's, where GREAT roads are literally everywhere, 129 is unique.

GREAT!

I'll definately be on the lookout for a CR/B. I'm in an all black S.