1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Stock Brake Calipers 2012 MCC

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 AM
Hayden Joy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Stock Brake Calipers 2012 MCC

Hey Folks,

I am interested in painting my brake calipers to make them look sick as well as stop the rusting. As you can tell they are not looking so hot and I would love to more spice to my mini! So I would love your guy's input on what color I should do. I am thinking red, a satin black or maybe try to match the pepper white. I am also going to put decals on them saying mini. Lastly, I am also going to do the rotors in black ( the rusted parts that is) I have been thinking this may be a waste of time and that I should just wait till I have to replace the rotors and pads.

P.s any advice on painting the grill black/ most of the Chrome on the car to satin black?

Thanks, Hayden

Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Couple of different Paint Kits available. Just search "brake caliper paint kits"

The best thing is spend more time prep'ing the calipers the better you clean and prep the better the result.

Best of luck no matter where your MOD takes you.

Motor On!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used G2 caliper paint on all my cars. It is a 2 part epoxy paint. Enough in the kit to do 2 coats on all 4 calipers. Brushes on nice and thick. Glossy and smooth when it dries.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:18 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayden Joy

... I am also going to do the rotors in black ( the rusted parts that is) I have been thinking this may be a waste of time and that I should just wait till I have to replace the rotors and pads...
I was hoping there would be some conversation around the comment about painting the rotors. A lot of people paint the calipers but I have never seen the rotors painted. I would think that it would be devastating to the functioning of the brakes, potentially destroy the braking system and at its best be scraped off after the first few stops. That said, I would like to hear the opinions of those with more technical knowledge then myself.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by miniCPA
I was hoping there would be some conversation around the comment about painting the rotors. A lot of people paint the calipers but I have never seen the rotors painted. I would think that it would be devastating to the functioning of the brakes, potentially destroy the braking system and at its best be scraped off after the first few stops. That said, I would like to hear the opinions of those with more technical knowledge then myself.
You certainly wouldn't paint the contact area of the rotor for just the reason you state. However, the rotor hat adds a nice pop to the finished product and our OP might like the looks of it. Here's what I did 8 or 10 years ago and they still look great.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-27-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM
Propak
1st Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I just ordered custom MGP caliper covers in red with the Cooper S logo. They should arrive next week. I have them on my Ford and they look great and never get dirty. Keeps the wheels clean too!

Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
On the calipers I have used both types of spray can stuff you can buy at the local autoparts store, that which must be "baked" and then the stuff that you just spray on. Have also used the Rustoleum brush stuff. All work and IMO of the three the Rustoleum is the best. On rotors, I will mask off the pad surface and spray both the hub and the top with the high temp spray on stuff I noted above. It keeps the rotors from showing rust longer. See below

Old 08-25-2018, 10:02 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with silver high temp paint. Has a somewhat stock look but is very clean compared to the rusted over things that were there previously.

No no matter what way you go, be sure to have a good wire brush on hand and thoroughly clean the calipers, otherwise the paint won’t adhere well.