1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 3 (1/11-1/17/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought black JCW grill trim piece to get rid of the silver and chrome turn signal bulbs to clean up the headlights.

All the major stuff was ordered with the car, so I hope not to spend anything major like I did with all of my previous vehicles :D

Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mongorama
We're going to have some time to kill... Anyone bought any accessories for their soon to be built Mini?

I bought the Light in Sight sticker thing. I've been driving my little sister's 2004 MCS, and do find it a bit troublesome to hunch forward at stoplights (not all, but the ones where the lights are pretty high up).

I think I'm definitely going to get a stubby antenna too, but can't decide between the 4" and the 2".

Anyone else killing time by spending more money on a car that's several thousand miles away still?
Me! Me!

I'm getting the euro armrest: http://www.minspeed.net/MAR.htm

and this: http://www.gominigo.com/R56GbT.html

And I like this, but I'm going to wait: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=5277

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Mongo,

What is the "Light in Sight" sticker thing?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
timubik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Finner
Mongo,

What is the "Light in Sight" sticker thing?
It's a fresnel lens that makes it easier to see traffic lights above your line of sight - http://www.lightinsight.com/

As for other accessories - I'm also looking at a stubby antenna and the glove box organizer, plus a "No Holes" license plate mount and maybe the backseat straps

Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Noddy
2nd Gear
Some good news the Fedora (our new ship for CA) has been moved up a day. I will take anything at this point

Originally Posted by Noddy
Looks like bad news for us week 3 people on the West Coast. The Turandot has disappeared from the shipping schedule.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 AM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
I ordered the 4: Stubby Antenna, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, and a Set of Black Bonnet Stripe. The factory wouldn't allow black stripes on the CR/CR color combo. Still need to order a set for the boot. The other stuff - Rubber floor mats front & rear, mud guards, rear bumper protector I included with the initial purchase. The wait is part of the fun, We're 2 days out of Southampton on the Talia - Mark

Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
Mine's still waiting on the train ride to port, then trying to figure out which ship it'll take. MA didn't lie when he said that it will be March before everything is done.

Edit: My first configuration is on the Talia. Dammit. I wish I got the config right the first time. Now I have to wait for the next boat :D

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
The glove box organizer is something I've been looking at, but thought I'd hold off on at first. I guess I want to see how messy I make the regular setup before organizing it.

I keep coming back to the 4" antenna too. The 2" almost looks too short.
I've been looking at the Alta antennas:
http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...Shorty-R56-R55

I held off on the rear floor mats (mostly because I don't tend to have many passengers), but am really starting to think I want a rubber boot mat.

I also held off on the mud guards, but have read it's not a difficult DIY.

As for other things I'm considering, I really want to do a vinyl wrap on my A panels. I haven't found the perfect wrap yet, so I'm working on designs of my own. Most of those places seem willing to let you design it custom... I'll just need to find someone I trust in town to put it on.

Timubik: You got any links to good "No holes" plate holders? I hadn't even considered the need until you just mentioned it.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
I used to think the glove box organizer was kind of unnecessary, but after using the glovebox, I can see how it could be very useful. Unlike the glovebox on most other cars, the MINI's glove box doesn't have any vertical depth. The door opens flat and closing it causes anything to get caught on the sides. Hmmm, it's hard to explain. I've noticed that gominigo has coupons every few months, so I'm going to hold off until their spring sale.

I actually like the antenna on the MINI. It kind of reminds me of a small remote control car. Plus, when you get your welcome kit in the mail, it comes with an antenna ball which fits nicely on top.

What do you think of these flame stripes? The kids and I love it, wife thinks it's goofy.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
edited: odd, delayed double post.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
What do you think of these flame stripes? The kids and I love it, wife thinks it's goofy.

I don't think my girlfriend understands why I'd want to customize my Mini with vinyl either... Perhaps you can't understand it unless you grew up with a Matchbox and Hot Wheels fetish. :D

Dig the flames though. They have the air of cool that comes with the flames, but still stays a bit hip and modern by being all white. I think a traditional flame job would cheapen the Mini. This is minimal, and striking.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
I actually like the antenna on the MINI. It kind of reminds me of a small remote control car. Plus, when you get your welcome kit in the mail, it comes with an antenna ball which fits nicely on top.

I'll get a Welcome kit in the mail? Cool! When did you get yours?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
The flames come in different colors. i think a dark silver would look cool yet subtle against a black background. One of the best things about a MINI is that you can add graphics to it and still be tasteful. There's not many cars that can do that. And with the vinyl graphics, you can take them off when you don't like them anymore.

You'll get something in the mail a couple months after you get your car. I don't want to spoil it for you, so I won't say what's in it. But if you have to know, there's a long thread on it on NAM.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
I'll enjoy the surprise.

Also, I agree that the Mini is one of those rare exceptions to the rule when it comes to graphics.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Tempo House
1st Gear
where's my Fedora?

The Fedora's a cute little ship, too, so it's not all bad news. I didn't really care for the Turandot all that much. Here's some pics of her christening from last year, brass band and all: http://www.marylandports.com/news/pressphotos042908.htm

Originally Posted by Noddy
Some good news the Fedora (our new ship for CA) has been moved up a day. I will take anything at this point

Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
timubik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mongorama
Timubik: You got any links to good "No holes" plate holders? I hadn't even considered the need until you just mentioned it.
Hi Mongo - gominigo has one - http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html You can also find that one from other vendors, and there are similar versions from other NAM vendors too.

I'm also considering swapping out the side scuttles. I'm getting a regular Cooper Clubman in Sparkling Silver - does anyone know if the side marker bulb assembly is clear or orange? (seems like the replacement scuttles don't include the lens portion) Thanks, Tim

Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Excited/09jcw
Neutral
Excited/o9jcw

Yes!!! I'm so pumped. Found out my jcw came out of production (1/7) last Wednesday, and is on the transport train headed for the SH Port. Should also be on the Turandot or the Fedora. I ordered the jcw on my birthday last October knowing it was'nt going to be in production until the first or second week of 09. Odered a chili red John Cooper Works with all the goodies, rooster red int. and factory installed aero kit. When it gets to the states going to put every bit of carbon fiber you can get. This will be my 2nd mc, have a 02 mc/ s that I really hate to trade off. Any way its exicting to see other cooper- Auhalics out there waiting to. Stay pumped and will be watching the ships progress.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Thanks Timubik! Might look into the Line of Sight for my daughter's Mini.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Got the Line of Sights in the mail yesterday. They look like they'll do the job just fine. Good news is they seem to be those static-charged stickers that can be repositioned (or removed, if you decide you don't like it ).

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Noddy
2nd Gear
Great now you guys have me looking at aftermarket accessories while I'm waiting for delivery

Looks like I'm out of production, how yo do veterans stand the wait ???

Old 01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone know what the call sign is for the Talia? I can't find it on the Coast Guard site.....

Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
"Talia" Call Sign C6VJ6. The IMO is 9100854 - If you find a site that tracks in the Atantic let me know. -Mark

Last edited by oldchicago; 01-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Excited/09jcw
Neutral
My production week 1/5-1/9 thought it was going to be either on the Turandot or the Fadora, turns out it was loaded on the Isolde on the 14th and is on its way, should be here on 2/1/09. I'M SOOOO STOKED!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Congrats to all those who are on a ship sailing home. You lucky dawgs! You must humble the rest of us by posting pictures when you pick your baby up from the dealer.

I know it's winter and all but my first mod will be to get my windows tinted. The ceramic tint makes a huge difference in temperature in the car. Here in CA it's already feeling like spring.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
da_laws
1st Gear
I've got a stupid question; how long after the estimated completion date should I see it booked on the ship? I've had a VIN for about two weeks and yesterday was its estimated date. Thanks...

OBTW: Mongorama, I just ordered the stubby antenna this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Week 3 (1/11-1/17/09) Support Group