R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible top problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a picture of the broken part. If the plastic panel is not rolled over when the top is raised there is a chance the fabric will stick out

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
burgerdog
1st Gear
Just today I noticed a bit of canvas and a soft plastic tab sticking up between the top and the rubber strip on the passenger side. With the top down, this is the piece in question, it looks like it broke off from somewhere :

This is the other side for comparison. No plastic tab visible.

What is that plastic piece and is the problem likely to get worse ? So far the top still fits fine and tight and if it wasn't for that plastic tab poking out I would not have noticed this.

EDIT : I have checked again and the top is not tight on that side, it is slightly away from the body. Is this the same plastic part discussed in this thread - does anyone have a broken piece that looks like mine ? My car is a June 09 build.

Last edited by burgerdog; 08-29-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
That is interesting. I was at my Mini dealer Thursday and a customer had the same problem. The dealer fixed it saying that the clip that holds the top at that point is plastic and has been changed to metal on the 2010 convertable. The dealer riveted in the new part and the customer was out of there in 30 minutes. The dealer said it was a known problem.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 AM
burgerdog
1st Gear
That sounds like a logical fix, was dreading the thought of changing the whole top for just those bits of poorly engineered plastic.

Is there an official technical bulletin from BMW out on this already ?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Thank you. I found our White 09 Cabrio has the same problem. When I take it in I plan to photograph the metal / pop rivit repair kit to display what it looks like. There is a part number. Baron MINI had two in stock when I called them.. Be sure your dealer has the part at the shop when you go in. Until then, You need to try to keep the plastic/ fabric part that is broken folded back down between the frame on the top and the side of body so that it does not come up and stick out the side with the top up. Try to make it look like the other side, before raising the top.. I am not sure what to tell you about being out in the rain with the gap in the side of the top. If your dealer does not know what you are talking about they may not have done any repairs on the problem..

Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
burgerdog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GreyWOF
When I take it in I plan to photograph the metal / pop rivit repair kit to display what it looks like.
GreyWOF, that is an excellent idea. Photos or even better the part number of the modification kit would be very useful.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
antpant
Neutral
updates?

GreyWOLF, any updates on the part# or the name of the product?

I have an appmt at the dealership on Friday. Want to let them what I need fixed as well.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
antpant
Neutral
updates?

GreyWOF, any updates on the part# or the name of the product?

I have an appmt at the dealership on Friday. Want to let them what I need fixed as well.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
I have an appointment Thursday Sept 9, so I won't have the info till then. sorry Early on there was no part number and the fix arrived in an 5x7 envelope. Now there is a part number.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:22 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
C-Pillar Reinforcements per "SIB"

The part number of the kit
54BMZ04 repair C-pillar reinforcements per SIB

1 54-34-7-276-922 Repair kit for convertible
T:54999934

part number is in there somewhere

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
acamer01
Neutral
PhillyMCS,
I had the exact same thing on my 2009 MC convert. Plus the trimming, where you have your hands in the pics where cracking. They fixed it no problem. And I believe there is some sort of a kit they used to fix the issues. Unfortunatly I have another issue with my top now, that doesn't fold all the way. And they are denying warranty because they are accusing me of driving with top open above minimum safety speed. I never did that!!!! Inside the canvas in the back ther is a seem and it's getting unglued, this prevents a part to fold backwards and not letting the top to open fully hence won't latch. Car is at dealer now because I also had a fuel pump failure. I ll keep you posted.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
GreyWOF,

Great signature, is that a Sopwith Camel picture in the sig? I'm a bit rusty on WWI a/c since my favorite warplanes are WWII and Vietnam war (F-4 Phantom being the BOMB!).

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
GreyWOF,

Great signature, is that a Sopwith Camel picture in the sig? I'm a bit rusty on WWI a/c since my favorite warplanes are WWII and Vietnam war (F-4 Phantom being the BOMB!).

Thank you, I like the aircraft. Actually that is the French Ace Charles Nungesser's Neuport 17. He was the prototype leather helmet and white scarf WWI hero. The aircraft was cool when you read about both. It fits the Cabrio top down.. now to get the white scarf..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nungesser
and the aircraft:
http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft...ieuport_17.php
enjoy

Old 09-30-2010, 06:32 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Originally Posted by acamer01
PhillyMCS,
I had the exact same thing on my 2009 MC convert. Plus the trimming, where you have your hands in the pics where cracking. They fixed it no problem. And I believe there is some sort of a kit they used to fix the issues. Unfortunatly I have another issue with my top now, that doesn't fold all the way. And they are denying warranty because they are accusing me of driving with top open above minimum safety speed. I never did that!!!! Inside the canvas in the back ther is a seem and it's getting unglued, this prevents a part to fold backwards and not letting the top to open fully hence won't latch. Car is at dealer now because I also had a fuel pump failure. I ll keep you posted.
Your experience sounds ominous. I think that the problems may be related to cycles on the top. I was warned to keep to top up to keep it stretched when parked for any length of time. I use the top down a lot. The split seams sure sounds like a warranty issue.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
LSK6453
1st Gear
Here is a picture of the broken part. If the plastic panel is not rolled over when the top is raised there is a chance the fabric will stick out
This just happen to my driver side piece. The dealer replaced both sides.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 AM
jeanstpierre
2nd Gear
just got back from the Mini dealer for minor adjustmewnts and was advised by the service manager that he noticed the vert top was starting to come loose on the side. he said that this is a known problem in the 09 verts and that it is covered under warranty. he had to back order the part as he has had to fix several recently and ran out of the part (which he says comes from Germany) Said he would call me when the part comes in to schedule and appointment.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi JeanStPierre, So do you also have the wear spots mid roof like mine and others? Or is your fabric fine on top and it's just the loose mechanism for you?

I'm curious because my MINI, an April 09 Build, only had the wear spots on the roof. I have had the top replaced under warranty. Drove it top closed as recommended for 2 weeks and finally drove it open today. I think the wear spots are going to come back though. ....

anyway, If you are not having signs of roof wear, that kind of gives me hope that my issue could be fixed, maybe...

Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
jeanstpierre
2nd Gear
no wear spots anywhere. mine is a 5/09 build. I guess if they fit the top properly there won't be any wear spots. by the way, I don't think the part is completely broken yet so that may explain the lack of wear spots. best of luck to you.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 AM
scottt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read all of this thread, and I want to make sure I'm completely understanding it.

I'm thinking of purchasing an '09 Mini convertible. What should I look for on it to make sure these breaking plastic parts are replaced with metal ones?

Any issues that should really steer me away from an '09 and push me towards a '10?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Originally Posted by scottt
I've read all of this thread, and I want to make sure I'm completely understanding it.

I'm thinking of purchasing an '09 Mini convertible. What should I look for on it to make sure these breaking plastic parts are replaced with metal ones?

Any issues that should really steer me away from an '09 and push me towards a '10?

Thanks!
If the top has the broken plastic it gaps on the side between the body and the top when top is up. The only caution I was given by the service people was to keep the top up when not driving the car to keep it stretched out. not that I took the advice, but that is what I was told. I don't know the answer to the '09 and '10 question.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
scottt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the top has the broken plastic it gaps on the side between the body and the top when top is up. The only caution I was given by the service people was to keep the top up when not driving the car to keep it stretched out. not that I took the advice, but that is what I was told. I don't know the answer to the '09 and '10 question.
Shouldn't I have them replaced with the metal ones before I leave the dealer? What am I replacing/fixing? Dealer doesn't seem to know.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Shouldn't I have them replaced with the metal ones before I leave the dealer? What am I replacing/fixing? Dealer doesn't seem to know.
C-Pillar Reinforcements per "SIB" The part number of the kit
54BMZ04 repair C-pillar reinforcements per SIB

1 54-34-7-276-922 Repair kit for convertible
T:54999934

part number is in there somewhere
Not sure why you would replace it before it breaks. I find that if it is not broken don't fix it.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:36 PM
jbpalladino
1st Gear

Thanks!

If I were you would run far far away from the 09' convertible. Mine has been nothing but trouble and my last resort is the lemon law. The company hasn't done a single thing to correct the situation other than offer to give me one month payment if I sign a waiver releasing them from all responsiblity associated with the car. They can kiss off! I used to love my mini... now I hate it and the company!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
zapprint
1st Gear
My mini was one of the most FUN cars, with a little convertible issue
The '09 will still be under warranty, and if you were buying from a dealer, have them write it into the dealer, if private party take it to the dealer and ask or give them the VIN. I'm not sure when they shipped goood ones from the factory, but the March-April ones were probably the minimum problematic ones, maybe longer.
It's a great car, especially an S, have fun, and good luck.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Two 2009 Mini convertibles

We have two Mini 09 convertibles one with about 19K and mine with about 17k miles. Other than the posted top issue they have been flawless and a hoot to drive. I would buy both with automatics because our auto get gets better gas mileage. The std. 6 speed is more fun especially from stop lights ... I will be a repeat customer.

Quick Reply: R57 Convertible top problems??