Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Go Fast Bits DV+ Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Fast Bits DV+ Review

Go Fast Bits is releasing a diverter valve upgrade kit for the N14 motor. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one about a week ago and wanted to post my experience.

First, here's a little background on what GFB intended to design (from their website):

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-...cations-by-gfb

Now, my own experience (YMMV). First of all, I've tried the VAG 710D swap a few years ago but swapped back to stock since the findings on leaks seemed true. I didn't bother with other DV's or BOV's since I thought the stock DV was good enough. When I took mine out it wasn't torn or otherwise damaged so the overall impact of the DV+ may be a bit subdued compared to someone who has a damaged diaphragm.

I took a quick data log before and after the DV+ was installed. You can see that there really isn't much difference in boost, but with the stock DV there *was* a very slight drop in boost at high RPMs. With the DV+ the boost stays there all the way to the upshift.

Go Fast Bits DV+ Review-qpfrwu6.png

And this is with the DV+

Go Fast Bits DV+ Review-stydkys.png

Quick thoughts:
  • Boost never drops at high rpm
  • Boost comes back almost immediately after shifting
  • When on boost if you let off the throttle either partially or fully, then get back on it, the power is immediately there.
  • The quality is top notch. My original diaphragm wasn't torn but you could tell that it wouldn't have taken much for it to eventually fail. The DV+ parts will probably never fail.
  • Most importantly, there were no soft ECU codes thrown and everything was as quiet as stock, maybe quieter

I think that if your stock DV is fine, and you're not tuned for more boost, this probably isn't the best use of your money (and you probably wouldn't be in this sub either). But if you know your stock DV is leaking and/or you're boosting more than stock, this seems like a pretty good product. Hope this was helpful.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering that your pretty much only replacing the internals that seems pricey. For a bit more you get the forge complete replace am I missing something. I'm actually in the market for a better value because I'm tune so I'm watching this with interest.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
I have one of these too, but the 14" of snow is keeping me from dyno to test. It's more than just a stiffer spring. It uses magnets to get a better and faster response from the valve. It also retains the ECU connection. If you run the Aquamist system that's huge.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Yep, what Taz said. This definitely isn't for everyone. I've never tried the Forge but I'm sure it also works well and is of high quality. The one thing GFB tried to do was keep the stock parts that work, but replace the parts that don't. One point to clarify, the solenoid coil is the stock part that they kept so the DV+ isn't introducing any new magnetized parts. They designed (patent pending) the piston such that the back of it is 25% larger than the front, so they claim that there's 25% more force holding the valve closed than pushing it open. There is also a secondary spring that's optional but recommended that will cause the valve to close faster in between shifts to preserve boost pressure. I'm no engineer (well, not a mechanical one) but in principle it seems like these design changes should help with throttle response (boost pressure doesn't drop as much as stock on partial or full throttle off) and will definitely help with longevity since it replaces the cheap rubber diaphragm that I'm sure works great when you're on stock boost pressures but will eventually fail under higher load.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm intrigued. This might have to be on my short list as I tune up to Stage 3 soon. I had the full Forge recirc valve previously, and while good when it worked, it would sometimes get stuck as the spring needed greasing. It would put the car in limp mode when that happened.

Currently running stock DV but have been in the market for a new solution. Honestly it doesn't seem excessively expensive for what it does. The Forge taps into your boost pressure to actuate which is more typical of a high boost/high pressure setup, but as they state in the video on their site, the ECU is quicker to actuate the valve. I'll research this a bit more.

Do you use the factory spring or do they provide a modified or upgraded spring?

-Z

Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
It came with two springs, one that replaces the stock spring (it's actually the shorter one on the right) and a secondary one that's installed right behind the piston. The secondary one they say is optional as it *may* cause a fluttering noise (not compressor surge) at low RPM's on some cars. I installed it and am not hearing any kind of noise. If you opt not to install it the DV acts exactly like the stock one (so, you don't get the more responsive throttle response) but it's still an upgrade since it replaces the rubber diaphragm with a brass piston.

Name:  R5jyafS.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  Jtw9uyK.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  42.0 KB

DV+ assembled.

Name:  zR4o2r9.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  56.9 KB

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
I'd like to know what others think after installing

At least its an Australian product so I won't have to deal with overseas venders sh*t sacred of dealing with international buyers wanting to use PayPal!. Which means I might actually get a reply to my enquiries!.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
I have one on order with Leo over at Etek Tuning here in Vegas. Once he gets them in I will be installing it. He has installed them on several Audis and VW's and he was really impressed.

-Z

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mine will be here tomorrow (missed the shipment today). I'll probably have it in this weekend.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any idea if this works with the WMW uprated Blow off valve? Or would one need to return to the stock BOV to install this?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I don't know the answer regarding the WMW DV, but the DV+ was engineered to upgrade the stock diverter valve so I think for best results it's recommended to stick with the stock solenoid. I've been using the DV+ for a few weeks now and I still recommend it if you're pushing more boost than stock.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM
cantcode86
2nd Gear
I installed mine this week. The throttle response does feel crisp between shifts. I did notice it is quieter then just having just the stock unit. It almost seemed like the stock set up was slow and noisy just for the sake of making noise. Yes, the noise make has been gone for a while.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid

No that one is for VW/Audi.

Here is the correct one:

http://www.etektuning.com/gfb-dv-for-mini-applications/

-Z

Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this only for the N14?. Or will it work on the N18 as well?.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Is this only for the N14?. Or will it work on the N18 as well?.
Right now it is only for N14 I believe according to their website.

-Z

Old 03-19-2014, 03:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
...It also retains the ECU connection. If you run the Aquamist system that's huge.
Can you explain this please?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
They told me N18 one is coming this week. Part T9353.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Any idea if this works with the WMW uprated Blow off valve? Or would one need to return to the stock BOV to install this?
I confirm this DOES work with WMW replacement recirc valve.

My opinion?

HOLY ****. You all have to buy this!!!

I don't think I can have this AND the forge BOV adapter on the car, so I'm going to be selling my BOV adapter on here soon. I'm really missing my whoosh sounds, but... I can't go back after this way decreased turbo lag.

Way, you NEED to carry this!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
We've been carrying the DV+ since we've been on here and will be releasing the N18 version soon as we have a strong relationship with GFB AU. Glad you're reaping the benefits of the DV+ Ian.

We always said this was a no-brainer mod for $135...

Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
They told me N18 one is coming this week. Part T9353.
I've been waiting since mid-March. And nothing. So I'm going to email them and hope they get it before the end of this month when Manic comes to NJ.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleTuning
We've been carrying the DV+ since we've been on here and will be releasing the N18 version soon as we have a strong relationship with GFB AU. Glad you're reaping the benefits of the DV+ Ian. We always said this was a no-brainer mod for $135...
Last time I checked your website (and granted it's been a while) I couldn't find any parts. When did you start carrying these? I'll check out your site.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I've been waiting since mid-March. And nothing. So I'm going to email them and hope they get it before the end of this month when Manic comes to NJ.
I know general price, but until the US main supplier gets them, I can't really say what the price will be.

Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Last time I checked your website (and granted it's been a while) I couldn't find any parts. When did you start carrying these? I'll check out your site.

Website developer has been really slow working on it. Should be done soon was what we heard. We have a few T9352 in stock and are expecting word on the T9353 (N18 version) this week.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Any non-manual MINI's waiting to run the DV+ T9353 (N18 version)? Just got word from GFB AU that the DV+ for the N18 is available for the automatic model MINIs only at this moment as they will make a bit of revision to accommodate manual owners.

Those interested should shoot us an email. Again, automatics at this moment only.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Didn't know the transmission affected the type of DV. I have a manual. So there is some more waiting to do lol.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Go Fast Bits DV+ Review