Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Go Fast Bits DV+ Review

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have the N18 DV+ in stock now and now we know why a revision is being made for the manual transmission version. It is a 2 piece construction compared to the N14 version so part of the system mounts lower than where the stock DV is located and because of it's mounting location, it will be in the way of the manual linkage.

If there were 2 locals in SoCal, 1 wanting to buy this, and 1 to show that it can't clear a manual, I will gladly install w/o labor fees and document the differences.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I would argue the GFB will be faster than the Forge because the electronic signal will produce a response far faster than the vacuum-actuated mechanism in the Forge.
You make it sound like the OEM DV/revision together with the GFB+ don't have a moving part, just the electronic signal.

The Forge DV is a step ahead (faster) because of the vacuum tap in the intake manifold downstream of the turbo, remember the stock DV still has to move (almost an inch) quite a distance to open and close with or without the GFB+. The Forge unit also is actuated by the very same signal that the OEM DV/revision uses.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord

You make it sound like the OEM DV/revision together with the GFB+ don't have a moving part, just the electronic signal.

The Forge DV is a step ahead (faster) because of the vacuum tap in the intake manifold downstream of the turbo, remember the stock DV still has to move (almost an inch) quite a distance to open and close with or without the GFB+. The Forge unit also is actuated by the very same signal that the OEM DV/revision uses.
No I'm not making it sound like the OEM doesn't have a moving part. I'm fully aware that there is a spring inside the valve that needs actuated. However the mechanism that drives that actuation is quicker using the signal coming from the ECU than the vacuum operated function of the Forge. The only reason the Forge has the electronic connection is to send back a signal to the ECU that there is a valve there. It negates the operating control of the ECU and instead operates off the vacuum sourced from the intake manifold tap included in the kit.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Forge unit make that ricey "woosh" noise? That is one of the reason why I rather use the Audi/VW internal swap over the Forge.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
Doesn't Forge unit make that ricey "woosh" noise? That is one of the reason why I rather use the Audi/VW internal swap over the Forge.
The adapter does but their standard dv kit doesn't. As for the VW swap, by my reading it doesn't quite fit right which leads to boost issues.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
No I'm not making it sound like the OEM doesn't have a moving part. I'm fully aware that there is a spring inside the valve that needs actuated. However the mechanism that drives that actuation is quicker using the signal coming from the ECU than the vacuum operated function of the Forge. The only reason the Forge has the electronic connection is to send back a signal to the ECU that there is a valve there. It negates the operating control of the ECU and instead operates off the vacuum sourced from the intake manifold tap included in the kit.
I have run both the stock DV and the Forge DV and it's obvious that the Forge DV doesn't waste as much boost as the stock DV. The Forge DV is a variable valve where the stock DV is either open or closed, imagine how long it takes for the stock DV to open and close repeatedly. Ask anyone who owns the Forge DV which one is the faster, "there isn't one that will say that the stock DV is faster".

Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
The Forge DV is actually quieter than the stock DV because it doesn't waste as much boost like the Stock DV therefore less air (boost) moving through the Forge DV.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear

I have run both the stock DV and the Forge DV and it's obvious that the Forge DV doesn't waste as much boost as the stock DV. The Forge DV is a variable valve where the stock DV is either open or closed, imagine how long it takes for the stock DV to open and close repeatedly. Ask anyone who owns the Forge DV which one is the faster, "there isn't one that will say that the stock DV is "
If you watch GFB's video they acknowledge the "on-off" switch behavior of the stock valve and negate it with their DV+. So you have a lot less boost lost between stabs at the go pedal.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have run both the stock DV and the Forge DV and it's obvious that the Forge DV doesn't waste as much boost as the stock DV. The Forge DV is a variable valve where the stock DV is either open or closed, imagine how long it takes for the stock DV to open and close repeatedly. Ask anyone who owns the Forge DV which one is the faster, "there isn't one that will say that the stock DV is faster". The Forge DV is actually quieter than the stock DV because it doesn't waste as much boost like the Stock DV therefore less air (boost) moving through the Forge DV.
My understanding of how the system works is the exact opposite of yours and I think agbullet has it right. The GFB part replaces a lot of bits in the stock valve and no matter that it has to move an inch, as soon as it starts to move the GFB part works. I didn't understand how it worked until I installed it. But either way, this is a thread about GFB DV+ and not about the Forge. I'm glad you like your Forge, but come on. An argument doesn't help.

Last edited by Ian Landesman; 04-20-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys still need n18 autos to test?

Last edited by Panther MINI; 04-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:13 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Panther MINI
Do you guys still need n18 autos to test?
We'd like a N18 auto to purchase the DV+ and a N18 manual to test fitment. We would not charge for installation.

Knock 2 birds with one stone to show that it fits an auto MINI and why it won't fit a manual MINI.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleTuning
We'd like a N18 auto to purchase the DV+ and a N18 manual to test fitment. We would not charge for installation.

Knock 2 birds with one stone to show that it fits an auto MINI and why it won't fit a manual MINI.
I received the DV+ from you today. Super fast shipping, especially if you consider that it went from west coast to east coast, shipped on Saturday received it Monday.

It's going into an N18 automatic. Probably won't get it installed until this weekend since I'm trying to get some good datalogging done on how much boost is preserved when shifting.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
My understanding of how the system works is the exact opposite of yours and I think agbullet has it right. The GFB part replaces a lot of bits in the stock valve and no matter that it has to move an inch, as soon as it starts to move the GFB part works. I didn't understand how it worked until I installed it. But either way, this is a thread about GFB DV+ and not about the Forge. I'm glad you like your Forge, but come on. An argument doesn't help.
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Systemlord and Ch28Kid, thanks a lot! Doesnt sound too bad.

Just trying to decide between this and the Forge version.
The next time someone asks this question we should just ignore those members then correct?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The next time someone asks this question we should just ignore those members then correct?
No, of course not. Sent you a PM and hope to get a response. =) If anyone saw my post before I edited it, I was a bit rough but what's quoted is def how I feel. When I go through the forums looking for a fix, the arguments are a distraction... IMHO

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I received the DV+ from you today. Super fast shipping, especially if you consider that it went from west coast to east coast, shipped on Saturday received it Monday.

It's going into an N18 automatic. Probably won't get it installed until this weekend since I'm trying to get some good datalogging done on how much boost is preserved when shifting.
Awesome!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Anyone local with an automatic looking to get the DV+?

We can install and document the differences between the automatic vs manual and this would help clarify things for the MINI community. This will also shed light and likely speed the process of making this available for manual N18 owners.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Local manual user looking to purchase the N18? We are looking to fit the DV+ to a manual MINI so anyone local who wants to purchase the DV+, let us know so we can schedule the install for you.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BattleTuning
Local manual user looking to purchase the N18? We are looking to fit the DV+ to a manual MINI so anyone local who wants to purchase the DV+, let us know so we can schedule the install for you.
I just got mine from you today! Thanks BTW.

I can swing by this weekend if you'd like?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by laforze
I just got mine from you today! Thanks BTW.

I can swing by this weekend if you'd like?
You can if you'd like. I can help you install it. Swing by around 1pm.

613 Commercial Ave.
Covina, CA 91723

Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM
laforze
4th Gear
I'll install and then drop by to talk to you about some things

Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I installed the DV+ for the N18 automatic and very easy and straight forward. It seems like a real quality unit. Nicely packaged with well written instructions. It's a two piece unit with the two pieces connected by rubber tubing. The most tedious part was removing the lower mounting screw on the factory DV. It would be nice to have a 5mm hex for a 1/4" socket drive.

The lower piece mounts on a bracket below the water reservoir and the barb fittings almost interferes with transmission housing. I guess the manual transmission is different and this is probably where the issue is. It would be nice (but not necessary) if the barbs were 90 degree fittings. Also the back of the lower piece (which attaches to the factory solenoid housing) slightly touches the hot charge pipe but this is only because I have previously removed the charge pipe muffler and I do not have the muffler delete pipe attached like the factory one. I'll have to fabricate a bracket to fix this.

Because of the two piece construction and where the lower piece mounts I can see that it can be in the way for oil filter changes. It's only attached by one nut so it is easily removed.

I've recorded some logs prior to the change and I'll be recording more afterward to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Here's some photos of the parts installed:

The GFB DV+ for the N18 comes in two parts, one mounted on the turbo and the other mounted on an existing bracket to the right of the turbo and underneath the coolant tank.

Picture of the secondary part. The electronic plug from the factory DV plugs into this part.

Picture of the part that mounts to the turbo housing where the factory DV originally mounted. Notice the two rubber hoses that connect to the second part.

Here's a close up picture of the secondary part. To get an idea of where this is mounted note the oil filter housing in the top center of the picture. My fingers are holding back the boost tube. Currently the boost tube rubs on the secondary part only because I have done the intercooler muffler delete. I'm fabricating a bracket to solve this issue should be done in a few days.

Another picture

Picture of the prototype bracket that I 3D printed. The actual is being machined out of aluminum.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
Any news on the N18 manual valve?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 AM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cesar418
Any news on the N18 manual valve?
Swamped with other projects that we had to push back on the manual version's progress. We will keep you guys posted on this when it's been resolved!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
I don't understand either. Is there something next to the turbo I'm the auto that won't let the recirc valve stick out an extra inch? I don't have an auto... Is that where the trans oil dipstick is located?

I'll get a lot of hate for this, but why mod a car with an auto trans? Torque converters rob HP... Start with a stick before doing turbo mods, am I wrong? I know a couple of people on here do it because that's just the car they have or their preference but I was under the impression that there wasn't much of a market for performance parts specific to auto trans cars? Just my humble opinion. Educate (flame) me if you want for it. =P
well idk how the autos are on this platform but for the most part, autos, while they rob power, they also do not drop off boost when shifting, and they provide faster shifts than any manual driver could bang out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Go Fast Bits DV+ Review