Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Ireland Engineering exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ireland Engineering exhaust

I tried a quick search in the exhaust thread, but could not find anything on this system. For less than $500 I am curious what you get performance and sound wise.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
nobody ???

Old 10-07-2007, 02:32 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of it.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have no input, but I am glad to see that it is another single sided exhaust to put on my list for when I am ready to buy one. I didn't know IE even made an exhaust.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
They sell on ebay sometimes, but it's not labeled as an "ireland engineering" exhaust. However, I recognized the image on the ebay ad, emailde the seller, and he says it is indeed an IE exhaust. The seller's location is also right down the road from IE. I've heard from a couple people that it is not a quiet exhaust, b ut I'm not sure how far up it goes on the loudness scale.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeromax
They sell on ebay sometimes, but it's not labeled as an "ireland engineering" exhaust. However, I recognized the image on the ebay ad, emailde the seller, and he says it is indeed an IE exhaust. The seller's location is also right down the road from IE. I've heard from a couple people that it is not a quiet exhaust, b ut I'm not sure how far up it goes on the loudness scale.
I just won won on eBay for $280 shipped! You cant beat that price..wow! Cant wait to post impressions after I install it.

There are 2 more on eBay right now...$275 appears to be the reserve price

Cheers

Cody

Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
yeah I saw those, but i still havent heard from someone who has one.
Thanks for taking the plunge for the rest of us !

Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
cpayne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fullcollapse40
yeah I saw those, but i still havent heard from someone who has one.
Thanks for taking the plunge for the rest of us !
I will let you guys know on build quality, fitament, and sound is.

Thx

cp

Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 PM
CooperSKart
2nd Gear
Actually I just had one that I won on Ebay for $275 shipped installed about a week ago.

I had it installed by Meineke & they did a pretty good job, but they said that they had a bear of a time with the hangers and had to bend some of them around, so I suspect I may have had one for an 02-04 sent by mistake.

For me, the jury's still a bit out if I really like it or not (it is growing on me more & more though). It's fairly loud (I had the one ball before, and it's a bit louder than that for sure), but doesn't drone much on the highway except above about 75 mph. The burble is still there, but it actually seems to be a tiny bit more muted than w/ the one ball. The weird thing is when I first took it for a spin it seemed like there was more low end torque from the butt dyno, but it seemed to take a tiny bit longer to spool.

Now it feels like its a bit more torquey around 4 - 6 K and spools up more quickly (about the same as the one ball). It also make a distinct whooshing or turbine sound that I've heard described regarding some of the one-sided exhausts after about 5500 rpm.

The fit & finish are pretty good, but definitely not the greatest. The two tips aren't perfectly aligned (since the driver side tip carries 99% of the exhaust and it is not perfectly parallel to the other welded on tip), but it is centered pretty well & looks good from about 5+ feet away. I also masked & spray painted the inside of the other (welded on) tip before the install with flat black high temp BBQ paint since I knew that it wouldn't get black with exhaust soot like the other tip that carries most of the exhaust & you really can't tell the difference except if you're a foot away.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:40 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
good thinking with the BBQ paint ! I like that Idea, but I don't think looking good from 5 feet is going to cut it for me, I am one picky bastard

Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
CooperSKart
2nd Gear
Yea, if you're picky the tips could be a deal breaker. They really aren't that bad and even at 3 feet it isn't all that noticeable, but they aren't perfect either. I need to get out and get some pics to post, but if you look at the pics on ebay or IE website, you can see that the way the extra tip is welded on it doesn't allow them to be perfectly parallel.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
Are there any design details on the tips or is it just 2 pipes ? Its hard to tell from the pics on IE's website, but it doesnt even look like they are cut at an angle, a nice etched logo would be nice too. I am used to the nice details of the JCW tips.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Are there any design details on the tips or is it just 2 pipes ? Its hard to tell from the pics on IE's website, but it doesnt even look like they are cut at an angle, a nice etched logo would be nice too. I am used to the nice details of the JCW tips.
Not sure I will post better pics when I receive the exhaust. But probably not a fair comparison of a $280 exhaust to a JCW exhaust.

Kinda like saying I like the seat massagers in my Lexus..but wish my Hyundai had them

Last edited by cpayne; 10-20-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
A hyundai with seat massagers would be sweet ! But you make a good point.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:38 AM
CooperSKart
2nd Gear
There's no logos or designs - it's just two pipes. They are cut at a slight angle though. This looks like it is intended to be a functional but not an aesthetic cat-back. I'd say so far that it's a good deal for the money for sure, but you can definitely get better (but will pay alot of extra $$$).

Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM
cpayne
4th Gear
Pictures

So received the Ireland Engineer Exhaust via DHL Ground today. It survived the trip. The quality of the exhaust looks surprisingly good considering the price. Nice welds, nice Stainless Steel 2.5" tubing, nice muffler and resonator quality. Flanges look good too. Guess only complaint so far is where they torched the hole in the 90 bend on the exhaust tips to put the 2nd tip..the hole is very rough. I have worked it more clean via a flat file and Dremel..but it will take a few more hours. Regardless that clean-up is purely for looks vs. function. I havent installed yet so cannot comment on sound or fit.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Very Nice looking system for under $300. I would make a slash cut at 30 degrees to make the tips look a little bit more "finished." I don't know there is something about the slash tips I like unless it is a single oval and then I still might want them 30'd.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried a quick search in the exhaust thread, but could not find anything on this system. For less than $500 I am curious what you get performance and sound wise.
We installed one on a Cooper S a few months back. I wasn't very impressed with the build quality (nothing bad, just a bit crude, it looked like some of the cuts were done with a jigsaw by hand) but it worked fine and actually sounded pretty good. The only thing that really bothered me about it was the fact that the right tip was simply welded onto the pipe and crudely cut out (It was actually jagged). Nothing that couldn't be cleaned up fairly easily though.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
The only thing that really bothered me about it was the fact that the right tip was simply welded onto the pipe and crudely cut out (It was actually jagged). Nothing that couldn't be cleaned up fairly easily though.
Agree..this is my only complaint. But for the price not sure that paying 2x or 3x is worth it...not in my house at least

Perfect tool to do so:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93621

Installing this weekend for further impressions

Last edited by cpayne; 10-30-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
It has the dreaded forward muffler/resonator that you don't want if you live where you could be driving over chunks of ice or speed bumps. Glad my aftermarket exhaust does not have that.

How much does the whole thing weigh?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mcs22004
It has the dreaded forward muffler/resonator that you don't want if you live where you could be driving over chunks of ice or speed bumps. Glad my aftermarket exhaust does not have that.

How much does the whole thing weigh?
It weighs around 27-28 lbs I believe..sort of an odd piece to weigh on a mail scale

Last edited by cpayne; 10-30-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mcs22004
Guess we will have to see how low it hangs with the resonator up front However every car I have worked on before a Mini (Audi's) had this sort of setup with the resonator up front. But if it really does hang low that could be an issue...hopefully it tucks up nice and tight to the underbody w/o rubbing

Last edited by cpayne; 10-30-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
That midpipe can looks a little smaller than the Milltek, that is used by many, and shares specs with the JCW catback. I doubt you'll have any problems with that. The rear hangers don't seem lined up all that well, but otherwise looks like a good buy at $300.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cpayne
Agree..this is my only complaint. But for the price not sure that paying 2x or 3x is worth it...not in my house at least

Perfect tool to do so:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93621

Installing this weekend for further impressions
Doesn't take that much more effort to stick a nicer set of tips on it and fix the cutout on the back. I'd gladly pay 60-80 more for that. That being said, I have a $2,100 custom exhaust, so I'm fairly picky .

Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

I bought several IE parts for my E30 and the quality, design, and workmanship were very good.

cheers,
Joe S

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Ireland Engineering exhaust