Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Ireland Engineering exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dub post

Old 06-26-2008, 08:22 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
what happened to the video lol

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
I have a welder so if this is an issue I will just tack a small piece of something on it.

That was cool that IE will take this into consideration. I cant wait to get my car back and install this.

Last edited by Bang110; 06-27-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:45 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by blkkouki
what happened to the video lol
what video?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
The real issue is shipping it to Canada. Just had a customer that wanted the system, but shipping it cost as much as the system to Canada. If you have a US address PM me and we can work out a deal.

PM sent

Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
I ordered one from Dustin of AutoXCooper. Can't wait to see this piece bark and hope that it will meet my expectation.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ED955S
I ordered one from Dustin of AutoXCooper. Can't wait to see this piece bark and hope that it will meet my expectation.
You'll love it, and all the money you saved. One other note worth mentioning. Like most exhausts, it's going to sound quiet at first. It will get louder though as it heats up.

One other thing. Vendors selling this exhaust should sell bolts and nuts to go along with the exhaust. The last thing someone wants is to get an exhaust, only to realize that they have to run up to the hardware store to get bolts and nuts during installation.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Bang110
5th Gear
One other thing. Vendors selling this exhaust should sell bolts and nuts to go along with the exhaust. The last thing someone wants is to get an exhaust, only to realize that they have to run up to the hardware store to get bolts and nuts during installation.[/quote]

Very good point.. I am lucky because I would probably have another car to use to run to the store.. But I can see allot of people getting pissed that they need two bolts and there exhaust is laying on the ground with no way to run to the store. Also putting in on at night with some buddy's and beers and having the nut and bolt store closed.

It's just two bolts.. why couldn't that be included?

Also I know that I will need 2.5 inch bolts but what diameter are they?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bang110
One other thing. Vendors selling this exhaust should sell bolts and nuts to go along with the exhaust. The last thing someone wants is to get an exhaust, only to realize that they have to run up to the hardware store to get bolts and nuts during installation.

Very good point.. I am lucky because I would probably have another car to use to run to the store.. But I can see allot of people getting pissed that they need two bolts and there exhaust is laying on the ground with no way to run to the store. Also putting in on at night with some buddy's and beers and having the nut and bolt store closed.

It's just two bolts.. why couldn't that be included?

Also I know that I will need 2.5 inch bolts but what diameter are they? [/quote]

+1

Last edited by ED955S; 07-02-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't be afraid to run it open header for a few miles.. (to a shop)
its for sh*tz and gigglez...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
I have made IE aware of the bolt issue. If I ever had the boxes in my hands I would add the bolts. I know some customers have used the OEM bolts without issue.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 AM
IanF
6th Gear
I know some customers have used the OEM bolts without issue.
How? The stock "bolts" are studs pressed into the OE flange. I tried pressing them out once... broke the vice... (yes, it was a cheap, M.I.C. vice...). Using new hardware is a whole lot easier, IMHO...

One comment about the hanger and vacuum caps... that's a good idea. I'll have to do that on a friend's car with a recently installed an Invidia system.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by IanF
How? The stock "bolts" are studs pressed into the OE flange. I tried pressing them out once... broke the vice... (yes, it was a cheap, M.I.C. vice...). Using new hardware is a whole lot easier, IMHO...

One comment about the hanger and vacuum caps... that's a good idea. I'll have to do that on a friend's car with a recently installed an Invidia system.
Was just reporting what others had told me. Maybe some are pressed in and others are not.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
OK, I'll get mine tomorrow from the shipping US address and maybe install it this Saturday.

What is the diameter of that bolt again and why 2.5 inches long?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Was just reporting what others had told me. Maybe some are pressed in and others are not.
Dunno... I've probably had half a dozen or so MINI exhausts apart there from doing SSK installs... MC, MCS, JCW... and all of the MINI systems have had pressed-in studs.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
OK, I'll get mine tomorrow from the shipping US address and maybe install it this Saturday.

What is the diameter of that bolt again and why 2.5 inches long?
Here's the reply from IE "We will start adding bolt/nuts to systems. A 12 X 35mm bolt should be okay maybe a bit smaller leght or bigger whatever one preffers no exact bolt need to be used and as for strenght 8.8 grade or better."

Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Dustin, I got the IE cat-back today. Nice piece and they gave me 3 clamps where I only need 2. The tips actually are better than expected as some have reported it to be looking like it was cut by hand. The only thing I did was to pile the inner part to remove the rough burrs. Thanks for the grade 8.8 suggestion. Also, I saved about $30 if I went to your suggestion of buying it from one of the IE dealers in Seattle, WA by not paying WA tax=8% + Canadian tax =12% + 2.5 hours drive gasoline. In my case I only paid the 12% Canada tax and I work closeby to my US shipping destination.

I will post my honest +/- comments soon.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
I had it installed today with mixed feelings. The clamp is small to hold the tip and the muffler shop has to modify it. It is still leaking . Yea they gave me 3 clamps but all of the same sizes at 63.5 mm. One should be 70 mm as the tip is 2.75". The install was about an hour & 10 mins. The OEM bolts were useless and the gasket cannot be re-used.
Impressions:
1. Sound: Louder than my one-ball after break in. Not ricey at all & deeper than 1-ball and little drone on highway driving. Note: I have to agree with members who reported that catbacks sound better after breaking in or as it gets hot. Burbles the same as my one-ball but only slightly louder.
2. Fit & Finish: The tips are slightly pointing downwards but aligns the center good. The tips are also exposed too much to my liking. I'll probably cut it out once I can find the correct clamp to stop the leaking.
3. Power: I doubt if it is better than one-ball. If there is it is very slight and maybe only near rev-line. Would have to verify this in the dyno.
4. Tips: Not bad but a nice & shiny chrome should match my Indi Blue better. For the $, I guess it is just fair.

Issues that disappointed me: small clamp, no bolts to cat, tips are not symmetrical i.e. one is slightly higher by maybe about 1 mm. Not much but I am picky.

System Rating After Break In: 8 out of 10. (from 6 out of 10)

I'll post pics later today.

Last edited by ED955S; 07-13-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: mm of clamp & sound improvement over time.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Here's the pic.

Last edited by ED955S; 01-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
I have sent the above info to IE and asked them to address it. Will post reply once I have it. Thanks again for the feedback it's the best way we can help you and make our products better.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had it installed today with mixed feelings. The clamp is small to hold the tip and the muffler shop has to modify it. It is still leaking . Yea they gave me 3 clamps but all of the same sizes at 63.5 mm. One should be 70 mm as the tip is 2.75". The install was about an hour & 10 mins. The OEM bolts were useless and the gasket cannot be re-used.
Impressions:
1. Sound: Just slightly louder than my one-ball but comes alive and loud above 4500 RPM. I have not done highway driving yet to know if it drones. Note: I have to agree with members who reported that catbacks sound better after breaking in or as it gets hot. Burbles the same as my one-ball.
2. Fit & Finish: The tips are slightly pointing downwards but aligns the center good. The tips are also exposed too much to my liking. I'll probably cut it out once I can find the correct clamp to stop the leaking.
3. Power: I doubt if it is better than one-ball. If there is it is very slight and maybe only near rev-line.
4. Tips: Not bad but a nice & shiny chrome should match my Indi Blue better. For the $, I guess it is just fair.

Issues that disappointed me: small clamp, no bolts to cat, tips are not symmetrical i.e. one is slightly higher by maybe about 1 mm. Not much but I am picky.

System Rating: 6 out of 10.

I'll post pics later today.
Ohhh, I just thought that I had a bad tip. That's exactly how mine looks. In reality, these aren't tips anyway. They are just the 2.75 in stainless piping bent. This pretty much is why you aren't paying as much as the Alta, Borla, and Magnaflow guys. They have such exotic looking tips that add onto the price. This exhaust is purely performance with no real aesthetics. The clamps I'm using are a NAPA brand "band" clamp. They are nice !!! I don't know if they have NAPAs up in Canada, but I bet you could order them online. You sound like you haven't had yours on long enough for the real sound to occur, and once you hit highway speeds and open her up, you'll wonder if it's shooting flames out the back. It sounds like a metallic tornado is coming out the back. I see where you give it a 6 out of 10, but me personally, I give it an 8 out of ten. For one, 1 ***** still utilize the stock piping and beer can tips. I for one have never been a fan of the beer can tips. Second of all the installation was a breeze for me by myself with the car only on ramps. It fit perfectly. My only real gripes are the fact that they don't come with any hardware, the hangers have no flanges, and those tips just need some more attention to detail. I agree, the clamp that comes with it for the tips was a ***** to get on. Plus you can see the clamps hanging down from underneath the car. That's what prompted me to get the band clamps. They're stealthy and clamp down over more surface area. What I will probably do is have someone cut into weld on the tip that hangs down the most and bend it upwards to match the other tip, then just weld the slit up with some stainless weld. I'm also going to have them cut the tips back a couple of inches.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
I just came back from driving my Mini. Oh man, the sound keeps on getting better! I am loving it now. My score has changed to 8. It's just the clamp that is disappointing me now but Dustin of AutoX will try to help me on this, he has been really helpful even to the point of giving away his business to IE distributors in Seattle but I stuck with him. A deal to me is a deal.

I also cleaned my IC today with solvent flush Brake Cleaner KleenFlo. I got scared when my car was running erratic after start up and my exhaust manifold turned orange HOT! After about 20 seconds and without even leaving the driveway, I immediately turned it off. The culprit was that the rubber boots were not in place properly. Holy Moly! I guess it ran lean for awhile.

Over-all I am now loving my new IE.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Actually, mine came with band clamps but 63.5 mm. As I said, they gave me 3 by mistake but with the same sizes. We need 70mm for the 2.75 inches tip. I think it looks better if it is cut by 1/2 inch to flush a little bit just like what NAM member cpayne did. He did a good job on his.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
So its turning out to be louder than the 1 ball? I sure hope so. I did the 1 ball not too long ago. I noticed a bit more "performance" and it sounded cooler. But I saw video of the IE setup on YouTube and thought it sounded great. While I still haven't gotten my car back from the body shop (PISSED) I have the IE exhaust sitting in my living room waiting to be put on. I know I can do it myself but I might take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it all together. Ir use some clamps and some welds. So I will need to get the 2 bolts and a new gasket also?

I think I will also cut back the tips (or see if the shop can) before its installed. Think about a 1/2 inch is enough? I am also going to angle them to give it a different look.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Yes it is louder now even at idle. I guess it really takes time to break in. It is not ricey at all, not the deepest but deeper tone than 1 ball. The system is also very sturdy and well secured, no shaking at all even if you try to force it by hand and I did not put any vacuum caps to the hangers either.

You should get 2 bolts and gasket just in case the OEM are not reusable like mine. It fits easy. One of the hardest part is taking the old system off. The shop has to heat the bolts in the cat to loosen them up.

Check the clamp for the tips if they gave you the right size. It is really better looking if the tips are cut a bit shorter and will also hide the not so nice tips.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Ireland Engineering exhaust