Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need input, I'm totally wheel ignorant!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 PM
dr_doogie_md
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need input, I'm totally wheel ignorant!

After seeing my MINI in real life for the first time just four days ago, I knew I had to get some chrome rims. From what I've read the best size overall to go with is 16". I'm looking for a proper balance between look/style and performance. I'm no racer, but I do take the occasional road trip (planning on MINIs on the Dragon next year!) Budget is also a major issue. School is expensive, and the priority.
What I have currently is the very basic stock wheels for a Cooper, 15"x5.5" with 175/65 R15 all seasons. (I don't even know what the heck 175/65 means!).

So here's what I'm looking at, from tirerack.com~

Kazera KZ-V ~ Chrome plated
Size Selected: 16x7
Price: $209 each
Recommended Tire Size: 195/55-16
Wheel Offset: +45mm
** Lightweight: 16.8 lbs. **

The next issue become tires. Like I said, I need something that can decntly handle, but won't kill my wallet. So getting multiple sets of seasonal tires doesn't seem to be an option.

Out of tirerack's recommendations, I picked these, largely on price.

Firestone Firehawk GTA 02 (High Performance All-Season)
for 2005 Mini Cooper Standard
Size: 195/55HR16
Blackwall
HR Speed Rated
Price: $73 each

Everything else recomended were seasonal, or runflats that were about as twice as expensive. Is runflat tires really worth all that extra money, especially to me, someone who's typically not an agressive driver?

About the rims, is that too heavy? They say lightweight, but I have no experience to judge from.

A big thanks in advance to any input you guys can give me.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_doogie_md
I knew I had to get some chrome rims. From what I've read the best size overall to go with is 16".
Why chrome? Why spend $800 on new wheels? You just got the car. Does it REALLY need them?

Everything else recomended were seasonal, or runflats that were about as twice as expensive. Is runflat tires really worth all that extra money, especially to me, someone who's typically not an agressive driver?
Runflat has nothing to do with "agressive" driving. Do you have a spare or the goop? Runflats get you to someplace where you can stop and get your flat fixed.

I just looked at your pics. VERY NICE. Good color and I see nothing wrong with those wheels.

Your talking about spending $1K for what reason?
Personally, I would stop, pause a bit, look at everything and assess what I REALLY needed. Whats wrong with the stock wheels and tires? Is it Bling? Or, is it because you see other peoples wheels here. Remember, there are maybe 104K MINIs out there and how many have actually changed their wheels? Just something to think about ....

Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a Cooper, the 7-hole wheel (Cavan's current wheels) is a good choice, even though it may be considered a "basic" wheel. It is the lightest OEM wheel (13 lbs.)...and that's a good thing for everyday use on a Cooper. If you simply want chrome that's your call, but w/ school expenses and all, you may find your existing wheels are best everyday performer you can have.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Don't know where you live, but if you're looking at all season tires, and
already have some on the 15" stocks, why don't you consider getting
some good summer tires for 16x7's (205/50/16 like Bridgestone S-03's or
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's or Yoko Es100's if you can't afford the
first two), and use the 175/65/15's during the winter months. It's very
quick and easy to swap from summer to winter tires twice a year, and
when the stocks run out of tread, you could replace them with real
snow tires, like BS Blizzaks. My opinion is not unbiased, since this is
what I did.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Dr. D:

You might want to spend some time poking around the wheel&tire forum, there are several good threads on runflats vs. non-runflats. I still have the runflats on mine because of the peace-of-mind. If something happens to the tire you can still drive a long ways on it, as long as you don't go too fast and/or don't let it overheat. I had a slow leak in one of my tires (nail in the tire, as it turned out) and felt perfectly comfortable using the car for the week or two that it took me to get it fixed. That kind of leeway might come in handy if you're still in school, and especially if you're doing a residency or something where your time really is not your own! The penalty you pay is apparently in comfort, weight, and handling. I'm considering getting non-runflats when I need to replace my tires to smooth out my MINI's ride, but I am reluctant to give up this convenience and on-the-road insurance policy!

As for the wheels, well, if I were deciding between fancy wheels and going somewhere fun for spring break, I'd choose the latter.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
dr_doogie_md
3rd Gear
Whoa, not what I was expecting, but that's why I asked.

Yeah I'm definitely holding off on such a purchase at least for a little bit. I probably am rushing headfirst into this too much though. What can I say, I'm in love! After seeing how sharp the chrome line exterior looked in conrast to the blue/black of the rest of the car, I knew whatever rims I went with, I'd want them in chrome. I can avoid runflats as well, I do have a spare and "goop" in my emergency roadside kit, as well as service via Costco.

Maybe I should just hold off and instead just spend 200 bucks on the smaller mods I wanted to do (smaller antenna, Cooper S gascap, etc) to hold me over. I'll just put new rims on my xmas wishlist lol.

Nice suggestion as well cristo, a definite economic way to upgrade the tires.

Whatever the case, I definitely shouldn't throw out perfectly good and new tires.

Thanks all around. Any other ideas and thoughts are always welcome. :smile:

Old 07-24-2005, 04:30 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
What can I say, I'm in love!
That makes perfect sense to me! Some folks here have black wheels w/ just a chrome rim that would look very nice.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Elmann
1st Gear
Hey Doogie,

Your Mini looks great! Get the wheels that make you happy. It's all about the drive. Enjoy and a change things when you can afford them. I looked through your gallery and I have one question.....what's with the reverse pic of the center console?

MOTOR ON!!

Old 07-24-2005, 06:07 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.... just wait a while. Drive you Mini around a while and get the feel for it. Take some time to figure out if you are siding more towards performance or looks.

Want a better handling and quicker Mini, or one that is a bit doggier and flashy? Once you know just what you want from your car, then start 'looking' at the aftermarket stuff. It would be a drag to have spent $Ks on your car and then decide it's not for you.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Lotsa good advice here. Wish I had posted this question myself.

Yesterday I bought new wheels and tires to replace my rather new OEM ones. Today I have been worried what I would do when I bash into that inevitable pothole. But despite the uncertainty I know I will enjoy having wider wheels and tires--just call it self indulgent vanity. I was recently paid a bunch for something I thought was volunteer work so money was not an issue for once.

You seem to know what you are doing. I love the OEM holeys and wish someone would release a larger diameter version with wider rims. I think the Cooper, with its sloping bonnet, is better looking than the S and shines with aftermarket wheels (as seen on NAM). I like the Team Dynamic wheels that Ryphile has on his, but you may be trying for a different image. There are so many wheel manufacturers out there! Take your time. Have fun.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
I think the Cooper, with its sloping bonnet, is better looking than the S and shines with aftermarket wheels (as seen on NAM).
What?! You have no respect for our postal slot on our MCS?!!.....

Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
After seeing how sharp the chrome line exterior looked in conrast to the blue/black of the rest of the car, I knew whatever rims I went with, I'd want them in chrome. ...
Maybe I should just hold off and instead just spend 200 bucks on the smaller mods I wanted to do (smaller antenna, Cooper S gascap, etc) to hold me over. I'll just put new rims on my xmas wishlist lol. ...

Whatever the case, I definitely shouldn't throw out perfectly good and new tires.
Good. Take a deep breath ... I know its great to feel excited but just think ... your young and you will have many more cars to come in the future!

As to chrome ... think about that too. I have the Chrome outside but the car came with anthracite wheels. I got used to them and now would never change (dont care about racing). I took off the chrome mirror caps because, IMHO, they were just too shiny and attracted too many finger prints.

Stubby antenna is good but that like $20. You saved $1200 in bling PLUS didn't throw away maybe another $600 in OEM Tires/Wheels. Good idea.

Why change gas caps? I'd rather have yours. Less chrome and smoother lines (IMO).

If you got $200 to burn think about something you can take with you to another car (I know hard to think about huh?) Like XM radio. Bluetooth for the cell phone, etc.

Have fun and breath deep ... it only gets better ....

Old 07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Just my $0.02, but I would wait until your stock tires are worn out, then decide on new tires and possibly new wheels. That way you get to enjoy your new MINI in all of it's factory fresh minty goodness and then down the road a bit, you can add something new to spruce it up.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Konky
4th Gear
Wow, most of you guys/girls are all about stock. which is fine, but if you're an enthusiast of cars, you want yours to be unique, and be customized to your liking. I loved my MINI when I first got it, but I love it more now, not that I did that many mods, but now when I see mine, I think it looks so much better.

1st mod on all my cars was suspension, lowering a car makes it look so much more aggressive, fills in the wheel gaps, and improves handling. (Rear sway should go with this.)

2nd is wheels. Wheels make such a big difference on appearance. Makes a car look totally different, and yours stand out from others. just my opinon, but I say get new wheels .

3rd goes for speed, like pulleys, chip, exhaust, etc.

4th cosmetics. bodykits(which i don't really like, besides the aerokit), mirror covers, custom paint, etc

now thats all just what I do, you can do whatever you want, I'm just on my break here at work, and wanted to give my opinon.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
If money is your main concern, look for some used wheels. People often change out wheels. Check in the marketplace here on NAM.

Stock holies are TIGHT!

Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I agree with DiD. Keep your stock setup until the tires are worn and need to be replaced anyway. That gives you plenty of time to do some cheaper mods, decide what direction you want to go with your car and whats important to you, and to shop around and find the wheels and rims you REALLY want, not an impulse buy. Plus you'll have more time to save up too so it doesn't hurt your wallet so much. That is if you have the patience, its understandable if you don't. I support the chrome too. Everyone has a different opinion here, probalby more chrome-haters here actually, but making my Mini stand out was a high priority for me. :smile: