Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Aftermarket brake pads w/ slots for brake wear sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket brake pads w/ slots for brake wear sensors?

With 1000 miles to go before I hit the end of the free maintenance period and the computer showing 5000 miles left on the front brakes I don't think I'm going to be able to get a complimentary brake job out of the dealer.

I'm looking at the brake pad options available and trying to decide what route to take. One bit of information that I can't seem to find consistent answers to is which of the aftermarket pads have a slot so you can actually use the brake wear sensors instead of having to tie them up out of the way?

(As an aside: would it work just as well to disconnect the sensor altogether?)

Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Can't speak for all the options but few if any of the BBK market pads offer this. Pretty much limited to oe replacement parts. I'd suspect most of the biggest names out there do accommodate this.

With regard to removal of it, not a problem and common to the BBK market. I believe the R53 format was to connect the former wires and cycle the key a few time to get the light out. (?) However it was done it was not a complicated issue.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
EBC greens have the slots ... I've used them on GEN1 and GEN2. Not the only, but I know this is a good one.

You can't "disconnect" the sensor in so far as unplugging it. The sensor works by creating an open circuit when a thin brake pad allows the sensor end to wear against the rotor and eventually break a wire loop causing the open circuit.

You can find the ends of a worn sensor and tie them together then tie the splice away from the wheel tricking the system into belief there is no wear.

Removing the (consumable) sensor causes the same open circuit so the car will activate the 'worn brakes' light

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I went with Hawk pads I think they had the slot for the sensor, but I just tied it out of the way.
I rotate my tires every 5,000 so I tend to keep a very good watch on my brakes. No problem at all.
If you are a more casual diver that depends on the sensor there are after market pads that do have the sensor slot.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Does anyone know about the Carbotech Bobcats? Those were the aftermarket pads I was considering most.

Honestly, as much as I hate having to clean my white wheels every two days, I'll probably just end up getting another set of OEM pads. I'm not a fan of the dust, but I've absolutely no complaints about them performance-wise. I don't see any autocrossing or track days in my future (though it'd probably be fun). The car's just a daily driver and gets a spirited club run or two every month to stretch its legs.

Hopefully the rotors will have enough thickness left for one more set of pads. Then I might switch to something else once I have to swap out the rotors as well. Now that you can see the entire brake system through my new wheels I wouldn't mind something a little more dressy like the TSW slotted rotors. But you never know. I might change my mind in 5000 miles, so I'm starting the research gathering now.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Modnar
Does anyone know about the Carbotech Bobcats? Those were the aftermarket pads I was considering most.

Honestly, as much as I hate having to clean my white wheels every two days, I'll probably just end up getting another set of OEM pads. I'm not a fan of the dust, but I've absolutely no complaints about them performance-wise. I don't see any autocrossing or track days in my future (though it'd probably be fun). The car's just a daily driver and gets a spirited club run or two every month to stretch its legs.

Hopefully the rotors will have enough thickness left for one more set of pads. Then I might switch to something else once I have to swap out the rotors as well. Now that you can see the entire brake system through my new wheels I wouldn't mind something a little more dressy like the TSW slotted rotors. But you never know. I might change my mind in 5000 miles, so I'm starting the research gathering now.
The Carbotech 1521s are generally pretty good wrt dust and noise. Also, they are rotor friendly.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love the Bobcats. And they DO have slots for the sensors.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
+2 I guess I've never bothered to look to see if they made a 2nd Gen application, but upon further investigation I see that they do indeed.

Also never realized how popular these are with other makes and models.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Really? That is good news. I hadn't seen a wear sensor slot on the pictures I'd seen and this post on another forum (which now that I'm rereading it is about the XP8s not the Bobcats) made me think that they didn't. The Bobcats seemed to be the one street pad where you weren't compromising on anything aside from price. They are a touch spendy. I worry that I might miss that tasty OEM style initial bite, but I'm sure that's something you get used to in time.

We'll see how it works out. If I need new rotors I might go the TSW rotor/Carbotech Bobcat pad route for all four corners. If not then I might just save some short term cash and pop a set of OEM pads on and wait for the rears to go to make any switch.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Modnar
Really? That is good news. I hadn't seen a wear sensor slot on the pictures I'd seen and this post on another forum (which now that I'm rereading it is about the XP8s not the Bobcats) made me think that they didn't. The Bobcats seemed to be the one street pad where you weren't compromising on anything aside from price. They are a touch spendy. I worry that I might miss that tasty OEM style initial bite, but I'm sure that's something you get used to in time.

We'll see how it works out. If I need new rotors I might go the TSW rotor/Carbotech Bobcat pad route for all four corners. If not then I might just save some short term cash and pop a set of OEM pads on and wait for the rears to go to make any switch.

CT XP8s are track pads, not generally recommended for the street as they need some heat to be effective. And they also are a little on the noisy and dusty side. You can also get the sensor slots on those as well since they are custom made.

For my driving style, I generally prefer brake modulation over the grabby brakes.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I love my Stoptech Street Performance pads....better bite than stock (just a bit), very very little dust, no noise, and they can take a mild pounding.

And cheap. They have the slots for the brake sensors as well.

Also I have an extra set of front and rear brake senors for sale for R53 i've been trying to get rid of if anyone is interested!

- Andrew