Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension IE camberplate - who's used long term?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 06:22 PM
OutlandishnessDue
2nd Gear
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
IE camberplate - who's used long term?

Hi folks,

After purchase I caught on a thread from a different board that IE fixed camber plates will last a year or two then need replaced. As I don't want to deal with that I'm hoping there's folks on here who've put some real mileage on them and can speak otherwise, or offer tips to keep them going for the long haul.

My biggest concern is the bearings aren't sealed. While there's an OEM dust cover for the top, junk could get into the bearings from underneath. Weigh in if you can and thanks!

Old 03-11-2024, 03:58 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
The bearings are basically the same as the OEM strut mounts, just mounted to the top plate with an offset for additional cambers. I wouldn’t be concerned with the bearings compared to OEM mounts. However, the mounting plates are not coated for rust prevention. So if you live in a rust area, you might want to paint or coat them before install.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:07 AM
OutlandishnessDue
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
So if you live in a rust area, you might want to paint or coat them before install.
The OEM ones are sealed and these are open, but great tip on the coating. I assumed that, since they weren't painted, they must be stainless.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:14 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by OutlandishnessDue
The OEM ones are sealed and these are open, but great tip on the coating. I assumed that, since they weren't painted, they must be stainless.
You sure about the sealed bearings?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...o/31352318480/

Those look quite open to me...

Here are the IE version:

Old 03-11-2024, 11:53 AM
OutlandishnessDue
2nd Gear
My OEM ones look like these:

My IE plates are these (and a different color metal, hence why I assumed stainless...perhaps they changed the design?). In your photo that looks like an exposed bearing with a washer on top.

If the parts are interchangable, perhaps I can just replace these bearings with the sealed ones should I have problems later down the road.

Thanks as always for being a knower of all things!

Last edited by OutlandishnessDue; 03-11-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:12 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts
Ran them for 4 years on my daily mini through all 4 seasons in Wisconsin. Starting year 3 on the set I got for my 3 season JCW. Never had any issues with them and I'll never have a mini without them.

The following users liked this post:
OutlandishnessDue (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 10:38 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
The IE fixed mounts for the R53 come with a stiffer BMW Z4 rubber strut mount that’s been trimmed and attached to the IE zinc-plated adapter plate. Sealing of the bearing is same as stock, and once you replace the little rubber covers on top of the bearing they are as well-sealed as OEM mini.

I have been running mine for 6-7 years, and they look like new. (California car, so no rust.) They didn't tear when I was running stiffer Swift springs with Koni yellows and would hit water-filled potholes hard in the rain, (which OEM did). They protect the strut towers from damage, provide a reasonable amount of negative camber for a street or dual purpose car, and they are quieter and more durable than the common adjustable camber plates that have uniball strut mounts with no rubber.

I recommend them to anyone who isn't chasing points and needs a fully adjustable suspension.

The following users liked this post:
OutlandishnessDue (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
OutlandishnessDue
2nd Gear
Great insights, thanks. I coated the metal with a couple layers of primer/paint then rubbertized undercoat to play it safe on Chicago roads, but seems I made the right call here.