Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Bigger front sway bar on daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Bigger front sway bar on daily driver??

I'm getting ready to replace my LCA bushings soon....and while I'm at it I'm going to replace my front sway bar bushings. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to put a bigger aftermarket sway bar on the front since I will have it all apart.

For a daily driver car that will never see any track time....will I see any handling benifts front a bigger front sway bar.....or should I just replace the factory bushings with poly bushings and leave the stock front sway bar in there??

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in a word, "no". it will only add to the factory established understeer. not much reason for any MINI to need a larger front anti-sway bar.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the H-Sport Comp sway at 27mm. Its my daily. Its disconnected right now. If it will never see track days...then just do the rear for a little added stiffy...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Nope...
Remember swaybars in some ways can help, but when you look at the hegatives they add to handleing, imo you can only justify a bigger rear one on a gen1 mini....and that is maybe mot needed if you get camber plates. Bigger rear bar is a cheap improvement for the street....

Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Nope...
Remember swaybars in some ways can help, but when you look at the hegatives they add to handleing, imo you can only justify a bigger rear one on a gen1 mini....and that is maybe mot needed if you get camber plates. Bigger rear bar is a cheap improvement for the street....
Now wait...let me elaborate. He said on a DD. Mine is a DD but it was built for the track. I love the 27mm front sway I have. It took a lot to get used to on the way it handles and it was hard to dial in with the back but I really like it. The only reason why mine is disconnected is because I have snapped like 6 heim joints on my Alta end links. The small diameter heims they use cant withstand the heavy and larger sway and they bend and finally snap....

Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The nope was to the op's question...lol
Just was saying adding a biggee front bar on a dd is beyond overkill, and determental considering average road conditions...
A bigger rear swaybar for a dd is nearly a nobrainer...the front imo is just a waste of money, and might entail negatives!!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
P.S.
I strongly suggest setting it to the loosest setting or waiting till spring...
then tightining it up, and fooling around....atlwast with the rear bar...
When slick, too much rear bar can make the car a handful until you get used to tge handling..

And think longterm on picking a bar....if you ever plan on getting camber plates, go smaller...if you don't bigger is likely ok.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Just was saying adding a biggee front bar on a dd is beyond overkill, and determental considering average road conditions...
A bigger rear swaybar for a dd is nearly a nobrainer...the front imo is just a waste of money, and might entail negatives!!
Well...I got my bars new for $280 total shipped which was a helluva steal so THAT was a no brainer...lmao

P.S.
I strongly suggest setting it to the loosest setting or waiting till spring...

And think longterm on picking a bar....if you ever plan on getting camber plates, go smaller...if you don't bigger is likely ok.
I have the biggest bars offered on the market and they are all set to stiff. They say big is better