Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension about to buy some Megan coilovers...got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to buy some Megan coilovers...got some questions

So I'm deffinently going to run coilovers so I can have adjustable suspension, but I'm not looking to spend over a grand at all...

I'm pretty set on running Megan's all around. I'd like some pros/cons and opinions on this product.

Also, from what I read, it comes with front camber plates, so all I'd need left for the front would be end links? Which should I go with?

For the rear, I need end links as well, and lower (and maybe upper) adjustable control arms right? Is that ALL I will need? If so, someone with knowledge gear me towards what I should do with as far as end links and control arms go, to go with the Megan coilovers. I want the absolute least rear negative camber as possible.

Also, pricing, what am I looking at, should I look into buying used items? Pros/cons on buying used?

I have a 04 if that helps, and I want the end result as low as possible. I'm on 18x7.5 with a 45mm offset, on 215/35/18s.

And last but not least, most of you know how much weight I will have in the back. What should I do about this, or should I even worry, and just adjust the rear to the correct height once all the weight is in? I'm estimating at least 500lbs (I know I know...)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
End Links by TSW, Control Arms Megan or IE.

You may want to buy them used if you can find them, as long as they don't have a 100,000 miles on them or beat up you should be fine.

You may also want to buy the Megan used because Megan is not going to warranty a new set due to use and weight of your hi-fi system.

I'd be happy to PM with you about buying the parts new if you want too.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
yea shoot me a PM with some numbers so i can see what im looking at.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
After looking at this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151471 and https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151473

I think they might be the better setup for you. You will still need rear control arms but since you are looking for slammin bling, you might want to think about the VMaxx, I think you will be able to get them much lower then the Megan's and you really don't need camber plates for the hifi MINI.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
I looked through those threads, I saw someone posted about you loose travel with these coilovers?

Also, why won't I need camber plates, isn't the front camber still going to be affected?

And what do you mean by "hifi" mini? haha

Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
I looked through those threads, I saw someone posted about you loose travel with these coilovers?

Also, why won't I need camber plates, isn't the front camber still going to be affected?

And what do you mean by "hifi" mini? haha
"hifi" means I'm an old fart.

You may need front camber plates to help get it even lower and pull the tire into the fender to give you a little more drop. Yes you are going to loose some travel and I would never drive the MINI to an event slammed, get there early and slam it before the show.

With your weight and the limited OEM travel, then slammin-n-drivin are a setup for damage.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:24 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Is that the case if I went with the megans? I want it slammed while driving.. Not slammed to the point where it rubs, but I want mine pretty much to sit like DOPAMIN's mini :-)

Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
You may want to see this link and talk to Pete, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151552

I just don't think the Megan's are going to be as low as you really want.

Last edited by AutoXCooper.com; 08-22-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Stratmosphere
Former Vendor
Take a look at the new V-Maxx kit at $649. I'm looking for some USA early-adopters who will get "special treatment" during our introductory phase. Pete, Stratmosphere. 1.866.533.1777.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_drivetrain.htm

Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
So autoxcooper, would you say that the Vmaxx coils will go lower than the megans?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that the case if I went with the megans? I want it slammed while driving.. Not slammed to the point where it rubs, but I want mine pretty much to sit like DOPAMIN's mini :-)
You can't have both travel and a ride like dopa's at the same time. He has very little travel because he's so low. Riding that low will lead to a lack of travel....that's part of being slammed.

As autox mentioned....if you want slammed like Dopamine's ride, new megans aren't the way to go. People were complaining about the lack of travel so they made some changes that have led to a higher ride height from the megans.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
So autoxcooper, would you say that the Vmaxx coils will go lower than the megans?
Megans don't go low anymore.....they barely tuck 17's now. My guess would be that vmaxx's definitely go lower than megans, but we won't know 100% until seeing someone who buys them and slams the car.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
early-adopters huh...... what are your thoughts on the VMaxx Coils, will they dial down lower with less of a travel loss than the Megan's. I'm running Rally's old megan's and I really like them a lot. Especially since they are already settled so they were installed aligned and done with.... instead of waiting for them to settle... Curious what the thoughts are on the ride quality and capabilities of the VMaxx..

pimpedout97x, if you really want to run low I would also look into KW's, they can drop a bit lower than the Megans for sure, although they don't come with camber plates, so you would need to get those...

If you go that option you could always get the coils new and look for some used camber plates.... Might set you back just over a G.

Here's my car and Dopamine's on the Megan's...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
early-adopters huh...... what are your thoughts on the VMaxx Coils, will they dial down lower with less of a travel loss than the Megan's.
See that's the thing. There is no actual travel loss from lowering on the Megans since they spin down into the collar. They still have short travel, but they retain that same travel at all ride heights.

VMAXX's will lose travel in direct relation to how much you lower it. As you spin it down, you're shortening the travel.

Based on VW owner experiences, the VMAXX's are a little bouncy and some people have had problems blowing the front struts due to bottoming them out too much. At the same time, a bunch of them LOVE the vmaxx's. We won't know how the MINI versions perform.....but based on the VW experiences, the VMAXX's sound a lot like Megans in that they are great for what you pay but aren't amazing compared to the coilovers that are 2 times the cost.

I still maintain that if you want a nice ride comfort while being slammed....your best bet right now is KW V1's.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
The out of the box 3.0 Megan's will not go as low as the 1.0 Megan's. We can custom build a set with lower springs and get lower. Can we get as low as VMaxx? I guess time will tell.

Let's address one issue, having a slammed car on the street is going to reduce travel and ride comfort and performance. MINI's are not F1 cars run just on tracks. Most coilovers are designed to give you more control and tuning adjustments for better handling, not just by lowering the car, but by controlling the car.

When it comes to performance there are many coilovers on the market to work with. I'm happy to see the Vmaxx and hope it fills the need of our MINI friends looking for a slammed ride. Megan's are built to perform within reasonable ride heights.

Last edited by AutoXCooper.com; 08-22-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Damn idk what I want now... Are the megans (old or new) 3 way or 2 way? PGT said the vmaxx's are 2 way, and by the time I get camber plates, ill be at the cost of a set of megans pretty much.

If I run megans, I guess ill need the old ones, if the new ones don't get as low. Dopamin runs the old ones I assume?

How much will a decent set of camber plates run me?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dope does run the old megans.

You can pic up these used that are in the marketplace..
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=149508

Here you can get a set of H-Sport Camber plates, new in box for 450
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=149561

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
You can also get a new set of Megan's with a lower spring.

You can get the IE Camber plates for $275.00

If you can find a set of used Megan's I think that's the best bet for you.

Don't forget the rear control arms.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Damn idk what I want now... Are the megans (old or new) 3 way or 2 way? PGT said the vmaxx's are 2 way, and by the time I get camber plates, ill be at the cost of a set of megans pretty much.
Do you need the camber plates? I know you're not looking for handling performance....

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
I don't want any negative camber or as little as possible. I'd like to keep the front camber as it is stock (I think its like -0.4 or something and -1.4 in the rear?)

Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Stratmosphere
Former Vendor
Did you guys know many late model Porsche cars have over -2 camber. I guess we all know why. I can understand minimizing camber for tire wear and tire sound. But as you know, up to a limit, a bunch of negative is sure fun! Pete, Stratmosphere

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Pimp may not "need" camber plates at all. Unless he is planning to run wide tires or an big offset where the tires might rub the fenders. Running -1.5 camber on daily drivers is safe, OK for tire wear and FUN.

Since Pimp is my MINI Brother I'll encourage him to find a used set of old Megan's, install them set with a set of Megan Rear Arms and get the MINI aligned, then set the front camber to -1.5 and the rears to whatever gets the tire flat on the ground.
Then run that setup and make small adjustments to get the look and ride he wants, then add parts or exchange the Megan springs if needed. If he can't find the Megan's used, then get the VMaxx and run them without front plates until he knows for sure he needs them. He will need the rear arms for sure with any lowered setup.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I don't want any negative camber or as little as possible. I'd like to keep the front camber as it is stock (I think its like -0.4 or something and -1.4 in the rear?)
Then you don't need camber plates. Camber plates are only required if you're trying to add negative camber. Your camber up front will stay stock even when you lower it. You don't need any parts to keep it at the stock camber.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
You can always skip the endlinks too and put that money towards coilovers. Worse case scenario you break a stocker down the road and end up replacing with aftermarket.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Then you don't need camber plates. Camber plates are only required if you're trying to add negative camber. Your camber up front will stay stock even when you lower it. You don't need any parts to keep it at the stock camber.
i thought that when i slam the front, im gonna get more negative camber, and the camber plates will bring them more out to how they were originally?

i dont want my fronts like this / \

nor do i want the rears like that (i know they will be a little, but not too much)...

so you're positive i wont need plates for the front at all?? no matter how much i can lower it before rubbing on my 18x7.5 (ET45) on 215/35/18s, the camber wont do this / \ ?

Quick Reply: Suspension about to buy some Megan coilovers...got some questions