Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
View Poll Results: If you had mushrooming or a cracked strut mount please vote
mushrooming: stock suspension / 15" non-runflat tires
3.00%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 16" runflat tires
7.79%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 16" non-runflat tires
6.38%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 17" runflat tires
32.46%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 17" non-runflat tires
20.08%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 18" runflat tires
2.06%
mushrooming: stock suspension / 18" non-runflat tires
2.25%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 15" non-runflat tires
0.28%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 16" runflat tires
0.66%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 16" non-runflat tires
1.50%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 17" runflat tires
2.91%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 17" non-runflat tires
5.44%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 18" runflat tires
0.38%
mushrooming: lowering springs / 18" non-runflat tires
1.69%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 15" non-runflat tires
2.25%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 16" runflat tires
3.19%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 16" non-runflat tires
3.00%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 17" runflat tires
10.51%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 17" non-runflat tires
6.94%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 18" runflat tires
0.56%
cracked strut mount: stock suspension / 18" non-runflat tires
1.31%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 15" non-runflat tires
0.28%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 16" runflat tires
0.56%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 16" non-runflat tires
1.03%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 17" runflat tires
1.03%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 17" non-runflat tires
2.35%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 18" runflat tires
0.47%
cracked strut mount: lowering springs / 18" non-runflat tires
0.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1066. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Mushrooming/strut mount failure data collection

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Madness Mini ones are $99, unless the UTIs are an absolute requirement to prevent this problem. From what I have read in the last few pages, they are not and the MM should work just fine.

Later edit: I see, the MMs are sold at $99 a piece. Ouch!
Craven it is!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by waktasz
So what's the best non-OEM replacement strut mount? My shop wants $90 each for the factory parts, but Boge or KYB parts can be had for $30-$40.
I've got some good used OEM ones for $35, just call the shop if you want one.

WAY

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Mushrooming- Not a chance

My '06 MCS has almost 55,000 miles on her now; has been driven from Georgia to Texas twice, to Miami, FL, twice, to Langley, VA, and Charleston, SC countless times. No mushrooming. I have the stock 17" MINI Lites.

I attribute this to installing my M7 Strut tower Reinforcement Plates and Stiffening Bar early in ownership and the fact I ditched the run flats for conventional tires at 20,000 miles. Conventional tires are much more forgiving that the run flats, this is why they make for a better ride. The rock hard siewalls of the run flats cause the vibrations to move to the rest of the car-namely to the shocks and strut towers.

No mystery here, just physics. I would add the following options to your survey:

No Mushrooming-installed Strut Tower Plates early in ownership.

No Mushrooming-installed Strut Tower Plates and replaced Run Flat Tires with conventional tires.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 AM
minirooferS
4th Gear
I have the m7 tuning strut brace but one of the strut tops is still pushed up/cracked. Can it still push up more and break even with the strut brace on?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
For anyone thinking about getting some protection. We just got a special from Craven and are passing the savings on to YOU. This week you can get a set of Craven Strut Tower Defenders for only $115.

We have Red and black for the R50,52,53
http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...cat=337&page=3

And we have Red, Black and Silver for R55,56,57
http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...cat=337&page=3

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running strut M7 plates on my 2004 S and have Bilstein struts. I track run and have no problems mushrooming at all.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyDog
I have been running strut M7 plates on my 2004 S and have Bilstein struts. I track run and have no problems mushrooming at all.
... but are there potholes on the track?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ofioliti
... but are there potholes on the track?
Based on your comment I am going to assume that you have never been nor seen a road racing track. On the vast majority of road courses there are structures commonly called a FIA curbs at the inside of most turns . They are usually made of cement or concrete with ribs or " rumble strips " which are put there to discourage anyone from cutting the corner . When driving at speed it becomes necessary to sometimes clip or even go completely over these curbs to make the turn . These curbs taken at a high rate of speed will cause as much stress or more than any pot hole. This short video should explain more clearly.

Randy
M7 Tuning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Ue2dyacFg

Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Yes, I am aware of those. They never caused me to bottom out----although I just have stock suspension.

My point was that the road conditions/potholes in many cities have greater potential for causing mushrooming than a track, wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-26-2009, 02:45 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ofioliti
Yes, I am aware of those. They never caused me to bottom out----although I just have stock suspension.

My point was that the road conditions/potholes in many cities have greater potential for causing mushrooming than a track, wouldn't you agree?

Both have their issues . I was just pointing out that a track has its own share of areas of concern.How many times have you seen photos of cars with there inside wheel or even both completely in the air do to a FIA curb ? We have some terrible cracks and hazards on our own Fwy systems out here in L.A and our weather is better than most of the country. There is no real way to hide from these type of situations other than driving slow and what fun is that ?

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Both have their issues . I was just pointing out that a track has its own share of areas of concern.How many times have you seen photos of cars with there inside wheel or even both completely in the air do to a FIA curb ? We have some terrible cracks and hazards on our own Fwy systems out here in L.A and our weather is better than most of the country. There is no real way to hide from these type of situations other than driving slow and what fun is that ?

Randy
M7 Tuning
I agree!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
RickB
1st Gear
I've spent the last week reading through this thread. I'd just about scared myself into believing my strut towers were mushroomed (Do they look mushroomed to you? They do to me. You? No? Right here, maybe?). Then I was looking for torn rubber (never good), broken struts. My car is an '02 S, with S-lites, and 60k on the odo. Runflats went bye-bye at 25k miles. Ordered the M7 brace. I was originally shopping for a brace, but convinced myself what I really needed was the strut tower reinforcement, and the brace would be a benefit. It showed up on Monday, so I went out to the garage, popped the hood, and both plates dropped down flush onto the mounting nuts on both sides. The studs are centered in the mounting holes, and everything looks good (actual installation is being saved for Friday). Even though my car appears to be in the group most likely to suffer from mushrooming, I've lived a charmed life? Now, will the hood close?
FWIW, I live in the Seattle area, which has plenty of lumpy pavement, but not really a lot of potholes. We suffer most from patched pavement resulting from upgrades to sewer/water, cabling, etc.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
I am undecided between the Cravens and M7. The M7 are cheaper and cover the whole area, but the Cravens come with bolt extenders.
Later edit: well, ended up going with a set of M7.
Thanks Way Motor Works!

Last edited by fishbone; 02-02-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
So here is my update/information regarding this thread.
2006 MCS, 16in rims with the standard run-flats.
65500 miles, no evidence of mushrooming. I bought the M7 reinforcement plates for peace of mind.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini-Madness plates

I don't know who posted that the Mini-Madness strut-tower plates are $99 each, but that is complete BS - they are $99 for the PAIR.

BTW, any rational engineer would tell you that they will work better than strut-top plates, since the problem is caused by deformation of the bushing mounting plates.

Get IE Fixed or M-M under-tower plates if you want to do the job right. Get the tower-toppers if you want bling.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Give 'em a break

Originally Posted by OldRick
I don't know who posted that the Mini-Madness strut-tower plates are $99 each, but that is complete BS - they are $99 for the PAIR.

BTW, any rational engineer would tell you that they will work better than strut-top plates, since the problem is caused by deformation of the bushing mounting plates.

Get IE Fixed or M-M under-tower plates if you want to do the job right. Get the tower-toppers if you want bling.
Seeing how the plates are not sold individually, but in pairs, common sense would dictate that he meant $99 for each pair.

Let's try and be a little civil here, no wonder so many are leaving NAM.

BTW are you an engineer?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Under Tower Indurators $74.95 (for a pair)

The Strut Tower Defenders are more expensive than the UTI's but easier to install and avoid adding to the ride height. More importantly, they and have never once failed anyone. So, despite the musings of rational engineers, empirical evidence would have some precedence in this case. Following the link above will get you to both parts if you are interested in either.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed my M7 plates. after only owning the car for a few months the terrible holes on a local highways did some pretty heavy damage. everything straightened ok and the car drives like a dream now!

THANK YOU M7! another highly satisfied customer!

Last edited by ksminiman; 03-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
I just bought a 2004 MCS. Had 17" Slites non-runflats. The front passenger rim was bent pretty bad. As expected, the strut-tower was mushroomed. Went to install m7STD and couldn't get it to level on.

Took a peice of wood, layed it where the tower was deformed, took a hammer and gave it a good series of whacks. Problem solved. M7 plates lay down as they should now

Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
savilrg
1st Gear
Perhaps the pole should include a "No mushrooming, no cracking" catagory. I have 90+K on Daisy - lots of really bad roads in Mexico & US. 16" run flats - no sign of mushroomeing or cracking.

Bob

Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
ThisFlynn
1st Gear
'04 MCS
I don't have any mushrooming I can see yet, but I've got some pretty severe bending of the strut mount - thankfully no cracking yet.

I'm looking to replace the mounts soon (and hopefully get rid of the rattling of the towers).

My questions: If I just get the OEM strut mount
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...rut_mount.html
(i'm on a starving college student budget)
does that include the rubber bits in the second listing under the link?
or is that something else I might need to also replace?

also, if anyone is in the Monterey Bay area and wants to act as the Good Samaritan and lend me some tools/a hand please drop me a PM!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
^^^ bending is shrooming. if the mounts are bent in any way that is the beginning of shrooming. I will be willing to bet that almost all R53 and most R50 MINIs (in the United States) that have hit a number of potholes have some form of mushrooming. I have looked at used MINIs country wide and not yet found one that with any normal amount of miles did not have mushrooming (or signs of repair from shrooms) unless they had plates on. I know this is a very bold statement however most people dont even realize that mushrooming has occurred. the only way to tell for sure is to put plates on top without the bolts and see if they touch all the way around. I have some pictures of mounts that look almost perfect but then you look at them closely and you can tell that they have been repaired.

I know that people are going to flame me for this statement however it is my personal experience that I have seen with my own eyes. I have looked at hundreds of MINIs.

ThisFlynn where are you located? you will need to straighten the mounts in order for the new plates to seat properly. have you checked the ball joints? I would check them as well if you are getting "rattling"

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
ThisFlynn
1st Gear
I'm currently going to school at Cal State Uni, Monterey Bay - just north of Monterey.

I only make a distinction between mushrooming and bending because I can't see much if any bowing of the 'frame' or what the strut mounts are mounted on.

I'm fairly certain the ball joints are ok - I believe the rattling is from the top of the struts moving around withing the strut mounts.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
thats cool. I would say you probably have some sort of distortion. It is rather hard to notice most of the time.

are you noticing any unusual wandering in the steering? have you checked the sway bar links? If you had a strut mount rattling I am almost certain you would have some pretty heavy steering feedback.

If no steering feedback I would be looking at things that do not affect suspension geometry. That is why I suggested the sway bar links. that design is notorious for a distinct rattling sound sometimes.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
twistdpair
1st Gear
Thank heavens for this board. I just picked up an 03 MCS and I'm sorting through the various quirks and vulnerabilities. Ordering IE fixed camber plates and Craven STDs at next paycheck...

Quick Reply: Poll: Mushrooming/strut mount failure data collection