Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 Mini Cooper S seat/airbag lighted on console

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Melinda Willette
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S seat/airbag lighted on console

This is Melinda, 'AbbeysMom', last posted 12/20/2016. New Problem: My 2006 Mini Cooper S has seatbelt/airbag light on - on console. No airbag light on near mirror. Passenger seat is empty - no weight on it. Had airbag recall completed once notified - a couple of years back. My Mini only has 53,000 miles on her. Any/ALL Advice would be so very helpful! Is this a serious concern driving my Mini - will airbags work - a bit apprehensive here. When I posted under 'AbbeysMom' with some issues with my Mini - YOU were ALL so VERY Helpful! Most Sincerely, Melinda!!!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:43 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Are there any Mini clubs or meet-ups in your area? Chances are, someone may have a OBDII reader. It really helps diagnose what exactly is causing the airbag light. It'll also clear it once you fix the problem.
Btw, if you have one or more Mini, I highly suggest you get this device:
Schwaben BMW/MINI scan tool

The following users liked this post:
abbey1 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 AM
whatamayniak
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini has a recall on the passenger side airbag sensor, I remember them telling that exact issue you're having was A symptom regarding that issue. Took them like an hour or so to change it(dealers take forever to do anything remotely easy) You can try that out. Good luck to you
Originally Posted by Melinda Willette
This is Melinda, 'AbbeysMom', last posted 12/20/2016. New Problem: My 2006 Mini Cooper S has seatbelt/airbag light on - on console. No airbag light on near mirror. Passenger seat is empty - no weight on it. Had airbag recall completed once notified - a couple of years back. My Mini only has 53,000 miles on her. Any/ALL Advice would be so very helpful! Is this a serious concern driving my Mini - will airbags work - a bit apprehensive here. When I posted under 'AbbeysMom' with some issues with my Mini - YOU were ALL so VERY Helpful! Most Sincerely, Melinda!!!

Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank You, whatamayniak ! Would you be kind enough to tell me where I might find that recall - have checked All 2006 Mini Cooper S recalls on the web and the only 1, which I took care of was in 2015-2016, the recall of the airbags..hm..didn't receive a notice from dealership - how long ago was that recall, pls? Most Sincerely, Melinda

Old 05-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues Section. On the recall, put your vin into the appropriate place at link below.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

abbey1 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 04:27 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Thank You, for moving to Stock Problems/Issues Sections. Checked VIN and no recalls but submitted to your site listed above.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The recall for the airbag on the later 1st gens was for the passenger weight sensor. Your original post said something about having an airbag recall done a few years ago so that's probably why the recall isn't showing up for you now. Have you checked for loose connections under both seats? One of the connectors might have come loose, especially under the seat that had the recall work done.

I would check them out and then try to reset the airbag light after since the light will not go out without resetting, even after fixing the problem. If you have to pay to have the light reset, I would have the codes scanned first to see if a fault is still showing.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Melinda Willette

My 2006 Mini Cooper S has seatbelt/airbag light on - on console. No airbag light on near mirror.
If the overhead passenger airbag light isn't on, then the problem isn't the seat sensor (which was the recall). Something else triggered the warning. You need to have someone with a diagnostic tool to read the error code from the car.

The warning light won't turn off by itself (even if the error is no longer happening). It needs to be reset with a diagnostic tool to turn it off.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Quoted from the safety recall notice:

MINI Safety recall campaign No. 15V-205: Front passenger seat occupant detection mat sensor.
"BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain model year 2005-2006 MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles and certain model year 2005-2008 MINI Cooper and Cooper S convertible vehicles."

If yours falls within those parameters, get hold of your nearest dealer and make an appointment. Had mine done 2 years ago.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:32 AM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Dear rkw - Yes, just now dropped off my Mini at Foreign Auto Shop (really nice owner and knows all about Mini's) I asked him to run a diagnostics with code print out. IF related to airbag/seat belt issue will call Mini Dealership (40 miles away) and demand to fix at no charge. My recall from Mini and fixed was 11/11/2015 at same Mini dealership. Made a safety complaint at safecar.gov. yesterday. They responded to my email with "if Safety issue, car manufacturer has to either fix, replace, (free of charge) refund or offer to buy car". Have saved email and will send to Mini Dealership, after calling them, if any hassle. Will know later today what code shows and if can reset it at Foreign Auto Shop. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post up the results. Mine is doing the same thing

Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Diagnostics at Foreign Auto Shop found nothing to do with original recall 11/11/2015. Owner of shop found Control Module was 'tripped' and re-set it with now, no red light lighted on airbag/seatbelt console. He mentioned if did happen again, would have to go to Mini Dealership and would cost about $700 to replace. Owner says this happens all the time with older Mini's and YES it makes both Driver and Passenger seat ineffective for airbags.. Keeping my fingers crossed but "Abbey" is a Trooper!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by abbey1
Diagnostics at Foreign Auto Shop found nothing to do with original recall 11/11/2015. Owner of shop found Control Module was 'tripped' and re-set it with now, no red light lighted on airbag/seatbelt console. He mentioned if did happen again, would have to go to Mini Dealership and would cost about $700 to replace. Owner says this happens all the time with older Mini's and YES it makes both Driver and Passenger seat ineffective for airbags.. Keeping my fingers crossed but "Abbey" is a Trooper!
Same here. I was quoted $790 to fix it.

I can't find anyone to reset the light so I am just going to buy the tool for $100 and do it myself.

I can't even get a Mini Dealership to give me my service records.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:13 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
TRAVR6 - How come no Service Records from a Mini-Dealership? Tho, my Mini was purchased from a non-Mini dealership was notified per Mini 2015 recall. Prior to purchasing did you look up Carfax or some website similar - gave all details of history and issues? OR - is it one Mini dealership not giving you service records?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:17 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
TRAVR6 - How come no Service Records from a Mini-Dealership? Tho, my Mini was purchased from a non-Mini dealership was notified per Mini 2015 recall. Prior to purchasing did you look up Carfax or some website similar - gave all details of history and issues? OR - is it one Mini dealership not giving you service records?
I have contacted probably 30 dealerships. I have gone in person to my local dealership. Only ONE has given me anything. This has been the only thing so far I have been able to get. This was from a dealership in California.
MINI dealerships seem to be the very worst at customer service or knowing their jobs.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:40 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Thank You, ALL, for your Help and Support!!! You, ALL, have always been GREAT!!!

Last edited by abbey1; 05-16-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: pics to large
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TRAVR6
I have contacted probably 30 dealerships. I have gone in person to my local dealership. Only ONE has given me anything. This has been the only thing so far I have been able to get.
I don't know the reason why, but I believe BMW/MINI does not allow dealers to release service records of previous owners. BMW might be doing it to hide service histories that might be embarrassing.

Last edited by rkw; 05-17-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I don't know the reason why, but I believe BMW/MINI does not allow dealers to release service records of previous owners. BMW might be doing it to hide service histories that might be embarrassing.
Or to sell more parts.
I have found that MINI customer service is pretty much non existent if you have no warranty. Possibly worse than Comcast and United Airlines

Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
I'm the 2nd owner of Scarlet , 06/R53. Before I purchased the car, there was a free Carfax which had all the dealer maintenance records.

abbey1 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM
abbey1
2nd Gear
TRAVR6 - Have a few questions and answers for you. Reviewing your original thread, "100,000 Service done by Mini - Tie Rods, A arms, Brakes/rotors, clutch at 90K. Purchased with 118,000 miles in April 2018. Drove a lengthy drive with no problems. I am confused with your various issues, currently re: Low Tire Light on and Console Module issues. Did these issues just now pop up? No dealership for any used cars have to supply a history of issues. They may/may not have the history, especially if dealership purchased at auction. Pls check out this site from the FTC. https:http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features...0040-used-cars. It is not a BMW/Mini issue - it is a Used Car issue for All used cars.

Last edited by abbey1; 05-18-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: month of purchasing incorrect.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 AM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Dear TRAVRS - As my Mini issue has been taken care of and tho, asking you re: Service Records and supplying the most informative information per the FTC website, pls post your own questions/comments on your existing thread. I will ask Admin to end my thread as my Mini issues are resolved. Thank You.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
TRAVR6 - Have a few questions and answers for you. Reviewing your original thread, "100,000 Service done by Mini - Tie Rods, A arms, Brakes/rotors, clutch at 90K. Purchased with 118,000 miles in April 2018. Drove a lengthy drive with no problems. I am confused with your various issues, currently re: Low Tire Light on and Console Module issues. Did these issues just now pop up? No dealership for any used cars have to supply a history of issues. They may/may not have the history, especially if dealership purchased at auction. Pls check out this site from the FTC. https:http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features...0040-used-cars. It is not a BMW/Mini issue - it is a Used Car issue for All used cars.
The more you dig the more you find.
By no problems I meant it drove fine without breaking down.
The airbag light was on when I bought it as was the low tire light.
The repairs now are being made so that I have a reliable car.
Trying to find out what work has already been done is so I don't have to do it twice.

I understand that there is no law requiring dealerships to provide service records. I never said there was.
It seems like this is knowledge that any car owner would want and if the dealership isn't going to give you the records of your own car, what confidence do you have taking it to them for work?

I have owned a lot of cars and this is the first time a dealership has ever refused to give up service records. I do this with all of my cars.
CHEVY, FORD, ACURA, HONDA, and JEEP have all given them with zero issues.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Removing post

Last edited by abbey1; 05-20-2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: removing post
Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
TRAVR6 - I am not going to get into a diatribe with you - 1.) a car dealership cannot sell a vehicle with an 'airbag' light on per inspection prior to selling. 2.) It was just recently you posted about low tire light on, of which numerous members, as well as myself, responded how to fix. In addition, you did post searching for history of vehicle and any/all info from California. Pls do NOT DISS Mini-Cooper Customer Service - You purchased your 2006 Mini Cooper S April 2018. I have had my 2006 Mini-Cooper at were you S for MANY YEARS - Customer Service has ALWAYS been very helpful! Pal, you bought the 'wrong car' for yourself - 118,000 miles with knowingly seeing air bag lights on and low tire light on when purchasing - whTHINKING? ..and You're an Auto Mechanic -those certainly would be a WARNING SIGN to me! Pls RESPECT me and post on your OWN THREAD! No MORE from YOU! AM DONE!
You could just stop talking.

I am not sure if you are aware but this isn't how civil dialogue occurs. You don't ask me a question and then yell at me when I answer. I have not been rude to you. Why you are being so hateful is beyond me.
But if you want to end the conversation, don't reply.