Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New timing chain making noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 AM
GE3K
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New timing chain making noise

Ok, so I have spent the last few weeks on google trying to figure this one out but I am running into a wall and wanted to see if I could get some advise from people that have more experience with the Mini N14 engine then I do (just about anyone would have more experience then me) :-)

So my 2009 R56 Mini with the N14 started making an awful rattle/ticking noise, which led me to the decision to replace the timing chain. I have another vehicle to drive so I figured I would attempt it my self. So I googled and watched a bunch of youtube videos, then I ordered the parts I needed. The overall job wasn't too bad, just a few tips and tricks I wish I had known before I started but I got it done. I also had to drop the oil pan because the top plastic guide was busted and some made its was to the oil pan. I also used the cam lock tool when doing the work.

Well now I have finished the repairs and the car is running now, but I have a loud tick that sounds to be coming from the timing chain area. It almost sounds like a baseball card in a bike spoke, it also goes faster when I accelerate and never stops. ( I will try to upload a sound clip today of the noise.)

A few other things I have noticed are that it is now blowing blue smoke after I idle and then push the throttle a little harder, but it is not a constant blue smoke at all times. Also I have a loss of coolant but I do not believe that is related...

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:31 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
the chain, rails, tensioner were the only things you replaced?

did you clean everything prior to installation? if you pull the oil dip stick out, does the sound go? did you check if the pulley is rubbing against anything? do you have any CEL?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM
GE3K
Neutral
I also replaced the exhaust sprocket that came in the kit.

Are you referring to cleaning the new parts or cleaning the plastic out of the engine where the timing chain goes? Yes I cleaned out all the plastic I could find and no I did not clean the new parts.

the only CEL code that is showing is referencing the catalytic converter.

I just pulled it into my garage and I am going to take the valve cover off and look over things again. Also I will pull the chain tensioner to check its length against the old one as I just read some of the aftermarket tensioners are shorts which can cause chain noises.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Yes the old parts...post pix when you take it off. also, look at the belt and pulleys to make sure nothing is in the way

Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM
GE3K
Neutral
Just got the valve cover off and it looks fine to me, though the tensioner does not look like it has oil on it. The chain and guides do have oil just not the tensioner.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Ok...remove the spark plugs and rotate the engine by hand and see where that noise is coming from. be careful with oil squirting from here...put something on top so it wont make a mess.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM
GE3K
Neutral
I rotated the engine but only enough to make sure timing was right before I pulled the tensioner and I did not hear the tapping. I will put the tensioner back in and check it again. I have a question though, the new tensioner is actually longer then the old one... I know the redesigned it but I wonder if it is putting to much tension on the new chain?

The new tensioner is on the right. The old one on the left had been replaced by a dealer with the recall.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The longer one is the correct one to use.

before you put the cover back, make sure the lifters are all sitting right. also make sure the timing is still correct once you put the tensioner back.

there is also the oil pump cover that sort of tightens the oil pump chain. did you make sure that is placed correctly and the isnt slapping anything?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Minimonsta22
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is stupid plastic oil pump/oil chain cover. drop oil pan and inspect.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM
GE3K
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The longer one is the correct one to use.

before you put the cover back, make sure the lifters are all sitting right. also make sure the timing is still correct once you put the tensioner back.

there is also the oil pump cover that sort of tightens the oil pump chain. did you make sure that is placed correctly and the isnt slapping anything?
I checked the lifters and when I was rotating the engine I heard what I can best describe as a sucking sound. I don't know if it was from the valves or from the oil spot you mentioned previously. Also I will have to drop the oil pan again to check the chain cover and see if there is any slack.

with it burning oil when pressing the throttle, the tapping noise and the sucking noise should I look at having a compression test done?

Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The sucking and squirting oil is normal.

It is always good to know the compression of the engine. It never hurts to know the numbers.

Try if not too late to focus your ear on that oil pan when the car is running.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Dago Retty
Neutral
Originally Posted by GE3K
I checked the lifters and when I was rotating the engine I heard what I can best describe as a sucking sound. I don't know if it was from the valves or from the oil spot you mentioned previously. Also I will have to drop the oil pan again to check the chain cover and see if there is any slack.

with it burning oil when pressing the throttle, the tapping noise and the sucking noise should I look at having a compression test done?
Hey man im having the same problem on my mazda3 2005, the timing belt was changed but the timing belt is making a ticking noise and i suddenly have alot of coolant loss(not leaking under car
Did you find a solution to this??