Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key FOB Dead. Fix or go to dealer for new one?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Key FOB Dead. Fix or go to dealer for new one?

Hey guys,

One of the 2 Key fobs I have for my R56 (07' S) stopped working. I do not have comfort access, just the normal system.

Anyways, the remote unlock/lock buttons don't work and I need to use the physical key to get into the car. Once in, the FOB starts the car just fine (due to the RFID tag?)

Questions:
  1. Is this something that can be fixed? I don't think the battery is dead as I drove for over an hour yesterday (should be enough time to recharge the battery in the remote a little) and yet it still didn't work even right after.
  2. Is there any sort of Key Reprogramming that needs to happen? I've seen that word thrown around for the 1st gen mini's but I'm unsure about the 2nd gen non-comfort access mini's.
  3. How much are replacements from the dealer? Are all dealer prices the same or are some less than others, as I believe any mini dealer should be able to get the part.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait, you haven't tried a battery replacement yet?
Start there first even though you *think* the battery is getting recharged in the receptacle.

- Erik

Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
non-comfort access system FOBs do NOT have have replaceable batteries.

They recharge while in the slot.

Since you kept the FOB in the car for an hour, the entire FOB probably needs to be replaced. There is programming, but it should be delivered to you ready-to-use.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a new one which cost me $450 here in Australia. then i found the one i thought i had lost!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
UPDATE 5/2/12

I dropped the Key Fob this morning while fumbling to use the little key to open the door. When I picked it up, it worked.

I'm guessing it previously broke and had the internal battery unseat from the contacts, and dropping it reseated it. Cross my fingers it keeps working because I sure don't want to buy a new one.

These really are quirky cars

Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Convenience Mode fobs, and they take a non rechargeable battery that is easily replaced by a jeweler. I replaced them both today, $10 eat, and they are like new.
Recharging by driving did nothing for them.
It wouldn't hurt to ask at such a store.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
I have Convenience Mode fobs, and they take a non rechargeable battery that is easily replaced by a jeweler. I replaced them both today, $10 eat, and they are like new.
Recharging by driving did nothing for them.
It wouldn't hurt to ask at such a store.
Simple explanation here is in order

Comfort Access Keys have REPLACEABLE BATTERIES and there is NO WAY to recharge them.

Non Comfort Access DO NOT have replaceable batteries, they are charged by putting them in the fob slot of the car.

And BTW the batteries are less than $3 each at Walmart. Paying $10 each (I think that is what you meant at least) is crazy.

EDIT: to the OP hopefully it keeps working for you. They are about $285 US

Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Gauntylgrym
1st Gear
I know how much it annoys some people to bring old topics back up from the dead (though I'll never know why), but here we are.

I have a 2007 MINI Cooper Base 6-speed. No convenience package or anything of the sort. I just bought the car about 4 weeks ago and the key fob worked fine at that time. Within about 2 weeks the fob started acting up...didn't want to unlock/lock the doors, having to press the button(s) several times for it to work, until one day it just didn't work at all anymore as a remote (the car still runs fine with the fob in the dash).

As I understand it, this key fob does NOT have a replaceable batter, and indeed it does not look like the fob is designed to be opened up at all. It would seem that the battery is no longer holding a charge from being inserted into the dash. So does this mean that I am stuck with a non-functioning remote, and my only recourse is to spend an INSANELY EXORBITANT amount of money for something that should really just always work?

Can these fobs be picked up on eBay (or elsewhere) at more reasonable prices? This whole issue is just unnecessarily convoluted and expensive. We're talking about a piece that can't cost BMW more than $10 to have manufactured, yet want to charge the consumer nearly $300.

Instructions for reprogramming seem to be exclusively geared toward 1st Gen MINIs. Since I have to have the fob in the ignition for the "Program" function to be accessed via the turn signal stem end button, how exactly would I go about holding lock/unlock buttons for the reprogramming? Google is no help, and all the many responses are all over the place and hardly any seem to be truly accurate or helpful.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:11 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
To the OP and LP-

I'm the guy who repairs the first generation "clamshell" type of keys, and I'm thinking of expanding my side business (the "MINI Key Hospital") to include the second generation "hockey puck" style of keys. I do not know if replacing the battery in either of your keys would bring them back to life but it seems like a logical place to start. The batteries are rechargeable and are soldered in place, and are not meant to be replaced nor is the fob meant to be opened. That said, batteries, shells and rings are available for repair work, so if you would like me to work on your key(s) PM me. I will still need to get a supply of replacement batteries, shells and rings so at this point I am gauging interest. I do a good job with the first generation keys and my prices are reasonable. Here's a thread with examples of my work and some customer comments:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rbishment.html

Thanks-

Dr. Bruce

The following users liked this post:
Jamie.Petro (05-18-2021)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:43 PM
poor mini
1st Gear
The 2012 clubman I just got had 2 key fobs, no special options, 1 worked, & the other didn't. The NON working fob did nothing, even when in the car. It has a removable back to replace the battery, no change. The BMW dealership played with it for a while, then came back and said they had to order a new one. At there cost, hate to know what a new one is these days.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I was "lucky" when I bought my 2011 R56S used from a local BMW dealer, they said, because I got two functioning keyfobs. No comfort access, just the regular one (which I have), costs $250.00 or more, they told me. I have learned here that I need to switch them out, and rotate use, in order to keep both charged and functioning.

I have no other keys or keyrings attached to my MINI keyfobs, as I learned years ago that excess weight hanging in a "regular" ignition key lock cylinder can damage the lock cylinder itself. I wonder if the same theory applies here, that excess weight and maybe even electrical interference from keyrings and other "stuff" hanging from the MINI keyfob may cause damage to the MINI keyfob, and/or the reciever side? Just thinking out loud here....

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 AM
AlanJones
Neutral
http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge.../topics/219618

Do it yourself instructions on replacement of the "Non" replaceable battery on R56 keyfobs, i did it, and mine work perfect. unlike the guy who first posted it. i was VERY gentle and did it slowly, i caused no damage to any parts an was able to reuse everything without buying anything new. all i needed was a little contact glue to put the two halves back together.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
That's my favorite feature on my MCS, I never insert my koy FOB into the slot, I leave it in my pocket. Nice thing is if I ever get car jacked car won't get far before shutting down.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Klr Rider
Neutral
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
non-comfort access system FOBs do NOT have have replaceable batteries.

They recharge while in the slot.

Since you kept the FOB in the car for an hour, the entire FOB probably needs to be replaced. There is programming, but it should be delivered to you ready-to-use.
Yup, the remotes that you need to place in the slot to drive instead of the ones you can leave in your pocket are rechargeable batteries and not user replaceable.

Remote control
Each remote control contains a rechargeable
battery that is recharged when it is in the igni-
tion lock while the car is being driven. You
should therefore use each remote control at
least twice a year to maintain the charge status.
In vehicles equipped with Comfort Access*, the
remote control contains a replaceable battery,
page 28
If more than one remote control unit is used, the
settings called up and implemented depend on
which remote control is recognized when the
car is unlocked, refer to Personal Profile,
page 18.
In addition, information about service require-
ments is stored in the remote control, refer to
Service data in the remote control, page 117.
New remote controls
Your MINI dealer can supply new remote con-
trols as additional units or as replacements in the
event of loss.