Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53: Replaced fuel filter, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
R53: Replaced fuel filter, now car won't start

Yesterday I decided to tackle the fuel filter on my car ('05 R53, 143K miles). It had never been replaced. The car had about 1/3 tank of fuel. I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and let the car die. Then I let it sit overnight. In the morning I removed the intercooler so I could release any remaining pressure through the Schrader valve. Nothing came out.

While the intercooler was removed, I cleaned it, replaced the couplers with Alta silicone couplers, checked the spark plugs and checked the posts on the ignition coil (a little rust; cleaned off with a scotchbrite pad).

The filter is a Vaico brand from Detroit Tuned. The only real glitch with removing the old filter was it was stuck to the bottom of the housing. When it finally came loose, it sprayed part of my interior with fuel.

When it wouldn't start the first time, I added 5 gallons of gas to the tank. Nothing. Then I switched out the big o-ring from Vaico with the original MINI part. Still nothing.

Naturally, I have to leave for work at 4:30 am tomorrow. If I can't get this figured out I'm going to have to borrow a car and have mine towed to a repair shop.

Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did mine I made the mistake of rolling the thin large diameter o-ring onto the canister. It must have twisted badly because it had rolled itself right off the canister. When I opened it back up the o-ring was sitting down in the bottom. Once this was seated carefully back into place my car fired on the first try.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I checked them this morning and they are in the right places.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Is the car turning over while attempting to start or is it not making any noise at all?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Is the car turning over while attempting to start or is it not making any noise at all?
The fuel pump runs and the starter runs. It doesn't sound like the engine is turning over at all.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Sounds like no fuel pressure in the system.

The OEM Kit comes with two gaskets for the housing. One says "Diesel Only". Don't use that one.
Go back in, you missed something.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Maybe check over the install. You can review our article for guidance. From our article:

Take the upper cover and carefully line up the tabs on it (it can only go in one way) with the tabs on the lower filter housing. Take care to make sure the upper cover is directly seated on the filter element. If it isn't, the car won't start. We found this out the hard way after re-assembling the fuel system. Once the upper cover is seated, rotate it clockwise until it stops. This will lock it in place.
This guys ended up being a coincidence with a bad battery https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...el-filter.html

Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
A heavy work schedule meant I didn't have time to deal with it, so I sent it to my mechanic. He said the o-rings in the Vaico kit had swollen so much that they were allowing air leaks. I looked at the o-rings and they were visibly much larger. Apparently the contact with fuel made them swell. He replaced the entire kit with a genuine MINI kit and the problem was immediately solved.

Lesson learned: aftermarket parts can be a crapshoot; buy genuine parts whenever possible.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes the Vaico ones have issues and they have been notified of the issues, thats why we recommend the genuine one.

Fuel Filter Kit. Part number 16146757196

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16146757196/

The ring can be removed with constantly tapping it out. Flat head screw driver works pretty good.

Here is your DIY thread for the fuel filter for Gen 1 MINIs.

Click here for a great how to thread.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Now getting the Service Engine Soon light.

Codes are P0130 and P0136, which appear to be oxygen sensor related. I have no idea about what O2 sensors are in the car or how many miles they have on them. They could be 143K mile originals for all I know.

I have reset them twice but they just pop back up. I wonder if replacing the fuel filter had an effect on this or if it was just their time. I suppose the first thing to do is pull them and see what I have.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Its they are original , thats about time, i had one go at about 160 ish followed by the other one soon after that. They are both on the manifold ( right on the exhaust on the backside of the engine ) .

Oxygen Sensor Part # 11780872674 Recommended to replace at the same time.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11780872674/

The part is the same for front and rear position ( one front & one rear ). We have the part right here with the correct connection cables ( clip in and clip out ) for the one end. Watch some aftermarkets as they have to be spliced into.

There a little white clip that holds the one plug in place, at the clips, and the other has a little bracket.
The new ones we have come pre greased on the threads only with anti-seize. Watch so you don't get any on the head of the sensor, while installing.

Diagram here: # 8

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...75#11780872674

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by KevinR
Now getting the Service Engine Soon light.

Codes are P0130 and P0136, which appear to be oxygen sensor related. I have no idea about what O2 sensors are in the car or how many miles they have on them. They could be 143K mile originals for all I know.

I have reset them twice but they just pop back up. I wonder if replacing the fuel filter had an effect on this or if it was just their time. I suppose the first thing to do is pull them and see what I have.
Did you get this resolved with new sensors, Kevin?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
I haven't replaced them yet.

I cleared the codes and they stayed off for 24 hours. It came back with a different O2 sensor code. (P0038 if I remember correctly.) I cleared that and it stayed off for another 24 hours, including a 100 mile highway drive. But it came back on for the return trip. I haven't checked what code is there today.

I ordered 2 NTK oxygen sensors from Amazon (a little over $240 with tax and shipping for the pair) and they are due in tomorrow. I should have them installed by the weekend. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

I will update as I know more.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by KevinR
I haven't replaced them yet.

I cleared the codes and they stayed off for 24 hours. It came back with a different O2 sensor code. (P0038 if I remember correctly.) I cleared that and it stayed off for another 24 hours, including a 100 mile highway drive. But it came back on for the return trip. I haven't checked what code is there today.

I ordered 2 NTK oxygen sensors from Amazon (a little over $240 with tax and shipping for the pair) and they are due in tomorrow. I should have them installed by the weekend. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

I will update as I know more.
P0038 is HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2). NTK is definitely what you should go with. Also, this code in specific could be a wiring issue with the sensor. Replacing them may do the trick. Good luck and hopefully all is resolved with the new parts!

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0038

Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Just a little update. The O2 sensors arrived as expected on Wednesday.

On Tuesday night I checked the SES codes, but nothing showed up even though the light was on. I went ahead and cleared everything before making my 200 mile round trip drive on Wednesday.

Here's the odd thing: the light has not come back on since. I get a little rough idle stumble when I start the car from cold, but it clears quickly and otherwise it's running great.

I'm still going to replace the sensors but I thought people might be interested in what I am experiencing.