R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Power Steering Recall 2/2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 PM
KatieTronR53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Power Steering Recall 2/2016

Hey guys,

So I took my MCS R53 to Mini Plano, to have my power steering replaced with the recall. I am told that my fan is out, pump is gone, and my lines are leaking. Mini states that they are only going to pay for the pump and fan to be installed, and that I need to pay for the lines ($400) because it isn't needed in changing the pump. I am being told by the dealership that is nessecary for lines to be changed out for the pump to be installed and have warrenty. They advised that with out the lines being changed they won't warrenty the pump. I advised that changing the line is something I can do my self, but they again stated that they would not warrenty the pump unless I had them (dealership) change them. Am I wrong in thinking that if the dealership is saying that it is nessecary for them to do it specifically, then it should be covered in the repair? When I call corporate all they do is reiterate policy about warrenty. Its like they are trying to make money how ever they can by half assing the repair unless I pay for some of it. Any one dealt with Mini Corporate and was able to get an exception made? HELP!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what if they won't warranty the pump, it's a recall, who cares?

Of if they won't put the pump on with your bad lines, take it home, put new lines on and take it back. It's if goes bad in a few years take it back under the recall, not warranty. Or take it to a different dealer if one is close enough

Old 02-22-2016, 05:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
+1 Yea, do the own lines first, then go in for the pump. They might then just replace the crush washer and bonjo bolts for the new pump.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hose-pics.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/32416754498/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM
KatieTronR53
1st Gear
Hey guys, Mini of Plano went up to bat for me with Corporate. I truly suggest Sewel mini of Plano Texas for any repairs. THEY ARE AMAZING! I was able to get everything taken care of.

-KatieTron

Old 02-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
That's awesome, a dealer actually helping you and not ripping you off is a rare thing.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 PM
KatieTronR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
That's awesome, a dealer actually helping you and not ripping you off is a rare thing.
I agree. I was really impressed by their customer service. I will go to them for all repairs I cant do myself. They have earned my business for sure.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KatieTronR53
Hey guys, Mini of Plano went up to bat for me with Corporate. I truly suggest Sewel mini of Plano Texas for any repairs. THEY ARE AMAZING! I was able to get everything taken care of.

-KatieTron
My bet is the dealer was trying to screw you over and when you put up a stink they backed off and made corporate the bad guys.

Now they look like hero's, when in reality they were the bad guys. They were just trying to make more money on a warranty job that does not pay much.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:55 AM
KatieTronR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JIM_GRAHAM
My bet is the dealer was trying to screw you over and when you put up a stink they backed off and made corporate the bad guys.

Now they look like hero's, when in reality they were the bad guys. They were just trying to make more money on a warranty job that does not pay much.
I was skeptical about the situation too but they showed me the leak and everything prior to me calling corporate. They had me in a loaner for almost a month while I fought it out with corporate and when I was getting to the point that I was just getting passed around from one customer relations rep to another getting no where... the service manager called into corporate for me. about 4 days later my car was being paid for and I was set. Ultimately my power steering was done correctly and at no charge to me, so I am a very happy mini owner.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Ah, so they just got sick of dealing with you. The power steering lines really aren't covered but they just didn't want to fight about it anymore. I guess that's good customer service, sort of.

That's amazing they gave you a loaner for a month though, wonder if my local mini dealer would do that. I doubt it, they wanted to charge me 120 just to look at the pump.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KatieTronR53
I was skeptical about the situation too but they showed me the leak and everything prior to me calling corporate. They had me in a loaner for almost a month while I fought it out with corporate and when I was getting to the point that I was just getting passed around from one customer relations rep to another getting no where... the service manager called into corporate for me. about 4 days later my car was being paid for and I was set. Ultimately my power steering was done correctly and at no charge to me, so I am a very happy mini owner.
Glad it worked out. This seems like the exception in these times.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do I find out about this recall. I'm the 3rd owner of my car.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:44 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Stop in to local MINI dealer with your Key or call them with Vin #.

A service advisor can check if that work has already been performed or if they can replace it if steering problems arise.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, man.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:49 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by JIM_GRAHAM

Lots of assumptions there Jim.....

Old 02-28-2016, 05:17 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I am glad I stopped by this thread tonight. I've been needing my leaking lines replaced for a while now but I am only driving the car 2K-3K miles per year since I am retired.

I have not got any kind of notice in the mail about this recall but I will call the dealership about 90 miles away from me and see what they say.

Great info here on this forum ... I always knew that but haven't been around here in a while.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:22 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SlvrMCS
I am glad I stopped by this thread tonight. I've been needing my leaking lines replaced for a while now but I am only driving the car 2K-3K miles per year since I am retired.

I have not got any kind of notice in the mail about this recall but I will call the dealership about 90 miles away from me and see what they say.

Great info here on this forum ... I always knew that but haven't been around here in a while.
After looking further on that recall...it's not for 2006.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Lots of assumptions there Jim.....
I am a bit cynical these days after an unfortunate experience with my local dealer.

You may be a straight shooter, but many of your brethren (in the Mini dealer world) are not.

Last edited by JIM_GRAHAM; 02-29-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Drumsound
How do I find out about this recall. I'm the 3rd owner of my car.
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...rt/recall.html

Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
+1 thats a good site to pop in your Vin.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 06SlvrMCS

I just replaced both my hoses yesterday with a set I bought from ECS.

After completing the job I can see why others have suggested just replacing the top clamps (Crush clamps) with stainless hose clamps. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the existing hoses other than them being filthy with oil and grit due to the leaking oil. There is an additional crush clamp on the return hose on the pump that is tough to get at, but doable if that is also leaking. I had quite a mess to clean up. BTW, I did not use the supplied crush clamps and bought stainless hose clamps so I would not be in the leaking position a few years down the road...

If you are not OCD and do not mind the mess, just changing the clamps will most likely fix the problem. I also used it as an opportunity to change the fluid. It used almost a quart, and the existing fluid was dark brown and in need of a change.

Pretty messy job.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks, glad the R52 is back in action.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
+1 Yea, do the own lines first, then go in for the pump. They might then just replace the crush washer and bonjo bolts for the new pump.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hose-pics.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/32416754498/

This may seem like a dumb question but which of the hose repair kits that you offer are for the 2003 S. I see that the part numbers are different by one number with one being KT2 and the other KT3. I'm sure I'm missing something here but just wanted to clarify.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
No dumb questions.

They are for all ( LHD ) US and beyond R50 R52 R53 MINI Cooper (2002-2008), so yes its for your 2003 R53 MINI Cooper S

They are just numbers that way to tell the difference, one is all Genuine MINI , the other kits have Genuine MINI and OE supplier parts direct from the manufacturer most of the time to give a less cost option. Kit contents in the main paragraph shows you whats in it.

Thanks

Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 AM
KatieTronR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Ah, so they just got sick of dealing with you. The power steering lines really aren't covered but they just didn't want to fight about it anymore. I guess that's good customer service, sort of.

That's amazing they gave you a loaner for a month though, wonder if my local mini dealer would do that. I doubt it, they wanted to charge me 120 just to look at the pump.
Hahahaha, Yeah most likely. I just told them that the letter they sent me said what ever is necessary to the job would be covered, and since I was being told the lines MUST be changed out then they should be covered. Took a month but it got done. I know it was because of the hard work from my dealership service adviser that corporate finally gave in. I normally have bad luck with dealership shops but Sewell Mini of Plano was amazing. For sure an exception but one that was justified as far as I could see.

The loaner car was nice too. It had 8 miles on it when it was given to me. They didnt pressure me to bring it back at all... In fact told me to hold on to it till I could figure out the deal with corporate. Like I said Awesome dealership. Cant say I am a fan of the countryman sport tho. The car was heavy and seemed like the transmission lacked a bit. Ill stick with my R53 Sport.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
While the OP would fall under warranty work, has anyone had this done as purely a recall? I called the dealership and was told that they have no idea when the actual recall will be carried out, but did mention that the extended warranty is being honored I believe if you are having issues.

Quick Reply: R50/53 R53 Power Steering Recall 2/2016