Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2007 MCS unknown problem. Rough idle, stalling, No fault code

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Ixx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MCS unknown problem. Rough idle, stalling, No fault code

I am facing an issue with my MCS which no one seem to have a solution, very lengthy post but please bear wth me.

Car is a 2007 R56 MCS Manual and Europe RHD version. Out of warranty

Without getting into the emotional factors of everything that I've gone through, below is s systematic description of what I have encountered and done.

It all started one fine morning with the idle fluttering, at first the car is not stalling. It just sounds like it was on race cam. Car still drives ok. No fault code was thrown.

After awhile as I was trying to drive it to the garage, it started stalling. Still no off road warning or limp mode. I plugged in my scan gauge tool and it shows the code : P0012 - 'A' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). After awhile, the next code to show is : P2178 - Fuel Trim Limit Exceeded System too rich. Car is stalling @ lights and practically unable to drive.

At the workshop, they were inspecting for hose disconnect & leaks. Found nothing out of the ordinary. After reading enough of the forums, tore apart the engine and found the plastic chain guide has broken with the pieces in the oil sump. At this point its suspected that theres a major timing issue.

Proceeded to order complete latest Timing upgrade inclusive of chain, tensioner, guides etc etc. I also replaced the Adjustment cam gear for good measure (VANOS). Put everything back together, still having the same problem.

At this point, the engine was taken out of the car, torn apart and did a full head overhaul. The amount of carbon is ridiculous and everything was inspected for damage. Valves were re-seated and gaskets all replaced.

Everything back on, still the same problem. Picked up 4 new injectors, replaced them, still no change. Timing was checked and double checked based on TIS and PRINCE engine specification with special tools. All on the mark.

As of this point, the following items are NEW on my car.

1) Entire timing system (except for the cams) including VANOS
2) Head overhaul complete
3) High pressure fuel pump
4) Injectors

I have towed the car to the dealer where they told me "we can't connect to your DME, its probably damaged, we also want to open up your engine all over again to replace all that you've done, we don't know if the parts you've replaced inside are original. etc etc". I was quite fed up with them and decided that if the dealer's ICON system can't connect to my DME. I shall do it myself to prove that it's their incompetence.

I started drilling myself on setting up INPA/DIS and finally got DIS V57 to work on my laptop with the proper OBD cable connection. Unlike what the dealership have told me, I have no issues connecting to the DME to read and reset the adaptations. However no amount of messing around with the DIS allow me to reset the MULTIPLICATIVE TABLE. I am not sure if this is referring to the Long term fuel trim table and I have attached a pic to show the values after doing the reset all adaptation command.

Attached is a youtube link to show fuel pressure and injector monitoring. Listen closely and you can hear how the car is struggling to maintain idle in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb-As...ature=youtu.be

Another one on the spark angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87r6D...ature=youtu.be

The 3 attached pics shows 1) After setting adaptation values 2) Live data monitoring 3) Zero misfire counts

At this point of time, the car is my daily driver and I come from a place where a 2007 MCS costs $64,000 USD. Ïf anyone have any idea at all, please do feel free to comment.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 MCS unknown problem. Rough idle, stalling, No fault code-1771-copy-.jpg   2007 MCS unknown problem. Rough idle, stalling, No fault code-1778-copy-.jpg   2007 MCS unknown problem. Rough idle, stalling, No fault code-1774-copy-.jpg  

Last edited by Ixx; 03-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Ixx
1st Gear
Just to add :

Car is on stock tune/map.
NM intake, Supersprint catback exhaust.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ixx
I am facing an issue with my MCS which no one seem to have a solution, very lengthy post but please bear wth me.

Car is a 2007 R56 MCS Manual and Europe RHD version. Out of warranty

Without getting into the emotional factors of everything that I've gone through, below is s systematic description of what I have encountered and done.

It all started one fine morning with the idle fluttering, at first the car is not stalling. It just sounds like it was on race cam. Car still drives ok. No fault code was thrown.

After awhile as I was trying to drive it to the garage, it started stalling. Still no off road warning or limp mode. I plugged in my scan gauge tool and it shows the code : P0012 - 'A' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). After awhile, the next code to show is : P2178 - Fuel Trim Limit Exceeded System too rich. Car is stalling @ lights and practically unable to drive.

At the workshop, they were inspecting for hose disconnect & leaks. Found nothing out of the ordinary. After reading enough of the forums, tore apart the engine and found the plastic chain guide has broken with the pieces in the oil sump. At this point its suspected that theres a major timing issue.

Proceeded to order complete latest Timing upgrade inclusive of chain, tensioner, guides etc etc. I also replaced the Adjustment cam gear for good measure (VANOS). Put everything back together, still having the same problem.

At this point, the engine was taken out of the car, torn apart and did a full head overhaul. The amount of carbon is ridiculous and everything was inspected for damage. Valves were re-seated and gaskets all replaced.

Everything back on, still the same problem. Picked up 4 new injectors, replaced them, still no change. Timing was checked and double checked based on TIS and PRINCE engine specification with special tools. All on the mark.

As of this point, the following items are NEW on my car.

1) Entire timing system (except for the cams) including VANOS
2) Head overhaul complete
3) High pressure fuel pump
4) Injectors

I have towed the car to the dealer where they told me "we can't connect to your DME, its probably damaged, we also want to open up your engine all over again to replace all that you've done, we don't know if the parts you've replaced inside are original. etc etc". I was quite fed up with them and decided that if the dealer's ICON system can't connect to my DME. I shall do it myself to prove that it's their incompetence.

I started drilling myself on setting up INPA/DIS and finally got DIS V57 to work on my laptop with the proper OBD cable connection. Unlike what the dealership have told me, I have no issues connecting to the DME to read and reset the adaptations. However no amount of messing around with the DIS allow me to reset the MULTIPLICATIVE TABLE. I am not sure if this is referring to the Long term fuel trim table and I have attached a pic to show the values after doing the reset all adaptation command.

Attached is a youtube link to show fuel pressure and injector monitoring. Listen closely and you can hear how the car is struggling to maintain idle in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb-As...ature=youtu.be

Another one on the spark angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87r6D...ature=youtu.be

The 3 attached pics shows 1) After setting adaptation values 2) Live data monitoring 3) Zero misfire counts

At this point of time, the car is my daily driver and I come from a place where a 2007 MCS costs $64,000 USD. Ïf anyone have any idea at all, please do feel free to comment.

Did you check the BOV diaphragm for tears? Also how do your MAF readings look? What are your short term and long term fuel trims?

Ray

Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Ixx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mrrjm
Did you check the BOV diaphragm for tears? Also how do your MAF readings look? What are your short term and long term fuel trims?

Ray

No MAF for my Euro Spec MCS....

I'll look at the BOV diaphragm............

Short term and long term fuel trim...I suppose you are referring to the adaptive values?

As of today..........all have been reset to factory standard with BOSCH workshop tool.......as confirmed by DIS....

Adapative at 0+/-% (Factory = 0)

Multiplicative table @ 1 (Factory = 1)

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Ixx
1st Gear
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

And in the most interesting manner possible, The Jeremy Clarkson everything can be solved by a hammer way.....

Went over the car as its sputtering on idling, started to lightly tap on the various sensors and valves one by one....

Upon tapping on the Solenoid Valve at the back of the engine under the intake manifold, the car seemed to get better....after awhile the idling screwed up again......tapped it again and the process repeated.

Replaced the Solenoid Valve (SOLV) and car is OK!

There was no fault code thrown, nothing......

And a $140 valve is the cause of needless replacement of the VANOS and Injector.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
repeater8
1st Gear
It's amazing how there's lots of parts that can be defective and still keep the CEL off. I had a massive cold start issue that I swore the high pressure pump was losing pressure (very common) and it turned out that my Coolant Temp sensor was defective and stuck on "hot", but its range was still within reason to not throw a CEL.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Kidkrouse
Neutral
who did you buy the selonoid valve through?? It it the valve that connects to the passenger side of the valve cover in the rear?? Any pics?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Kidkrouse
Neutral
i think i found it. on the passenger side of the head about an inch and a half or two from the end ?? On the back side. Do you have the part number so i am for sure that is what i am looking at.
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Kidkrouse
Neutral
Last question. Does anyone know what the solv valve does? What is its purpose?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting post.

My dealer has been trying to track down the issue with my Clubman S idling strangely for the last 1.5 years. The head was completely redone recently, fuel pumps changed, and a pile of other stuff. And still to this day she doesn't idle smoothly. It's not bad and it never stalls, but if you're standing behind the car it gently farts a lot. And you can see it fluctuate on the tach. It's been a very disappointing experience.

Any chance someone can post up a picture as to where this valve is exactly and what it does? If I can somehow solve this issue, it would be a day of celebration.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I replaced my chain tensioner, I didn't properly reseat one of the intake pipes and the idle was very rough. It didn't cause any error messages or CELs and I almost believed that I had ruined my car. But then the pipe simply popped-off due to the pressure and I heard a whistling noise, so located the pipe easily.

So the ECU and its array of sensors do not capture all possible failure scenarios.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Please post a picture where the SOLV is located. I believe i have the same issue.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
See Item #4 - Solenoid Valve (SOLV); located on the rear side of the cylinder head.

- Erik

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Thanks Bluefox

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to look at this too.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Swampydex
1st Gear
Hey there. I know this is an old post but I was wondering if this is similar to the symptoms you had.