Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold Start Issues Database

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 ClubmanS

My death rattle just occured after a trip to D.C. in very cold weather. It goes away after she warms up but like all of you, at 2500 rpm she roars like a lion in a cage a rattles like crazy. Doing a wait and see for now. After a few minutes she is fine, but I do notice a lack of power, even in sport mode.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Mine is with the dealer now told them to hand on t it until they fixed it. I am traveling for the next 5 weeks so I don't need the car. Hopefully it'll come "death rattle" free.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, they are telling me they can't replicate it. *rolls eyes*

They have the car until next Saturday as I am traveling all week. The plan is for me to start the car with the tech there.

Anyone know how much it costs just to replace the timing tensioner?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i finally gave the dealer my car for a week to recreate the problem. Its been cold out darn near every morning and still no luck! I'm going to go pick the car up today. What is a guy to do!?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
trailrated
1st Gear
I'm interested in buying an '08 MCS from a private dealer...

But I'm afraid that the only way to make sure I won't have issues is to take it to the MINI dealer and have them replace the timing chain tensioner, HPFP, and intake manifold for no charge.

Is that naive?

Are these cars ticking time bombs?

Last edited by trailrated; 02-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ As the original owner of a 2009 MCS, I'm VERY interested to read the replies to your post! I am wondering the same!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Mini Cooper S
Build Date October 2007
Purchase Date April 2008
Mileage 61,xxx

My car has been making the funny rattling noise over the last 6-7 months. I wasn't sure it was a problem as it went away after the car warms up. But I've read a few threads and didn't want to take any chances. I took my MINI to Niello of Sacramento yesterday. They know me by name as I've had the carbon build up, and CEL issues. They let the car stand overnight, and started it this morning (temp was around 45 F). They heard the slight rattle, and decided to measure the tensioner and timing chain. It turns out my chain is still w/in spec (66mm and tolerance is 67mm), but my tensioner is bad. They are charging me a total of $370ish to change it out. That figure includes a discount for diagnosis, and discounting the labor by 1/2 an hour. They state MINI won't cover it because I'm out of warranty, but Niello is stepping up to the plate and discounting my labor charges. They said if I waited any longer then I would be paying around $3,000, as the chain was starting to back its way out . I now have a 2 year and unlimited mileage warranty.

Bottom line...get it checked out before it does some serious damage. I still may sell the car just because I've had too many issues...sigh.

Last edited by Auto_Pilot; 02-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
Well, they are telling me they can't replicate it. *rolls eyes*

They have the car until next Saturday as I am traveling all week. The plan is for me to start the car with the tech there.

Anyone know how much it costs just to replace the timing tensioner?
Make them measure the chain, and check the tensioner. I told my tech to do it, even if they couldn't replicate the rattle. Do not take no for an answer. Especially if you are still under warranty.

My dealer was very aware of the issue, and was very sympathetic to what I was going through.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
I got my car back from the dealer on Tuesday. I guess my ma thinks i'm just going to stop complaining about it. I feel backed into a corner here.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Peanut61
Banned
my car is back at the dealer for the 3rd time...the first time the measured the chain and replaced the tensioner. This time I asked for the whole service bulletin/replace all the parts and they said they have to duplicate the sound first before tearing it appart again..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Peanut61
Banned
Model: 2010 JCW
Build Date: Aug 2010
Miles: 13,000
Duration: 1-5 min
Frequency: (times per month/week) everyday
RPM range: 700-1200
Ambient Temp: 35-45 degrees
Oil: Mini

Any other relevant information: tensioner replaced once, still does it

Mini, all I can say is C'mon man

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Peanut, check out this post
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...06-post60.html

And be sure to complete the survey

Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
They replaced everything on mine.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Update

Got my car back on Friday w/$370 less out of my pocket But 2 years and unlimited warranty for their work.

The Mini runs like new now, and very quiet. Acceleration is smooth, and everything seems okay. One of the things my MA suggested is to make sure I watch my oil level, and keep it to the line at all times. I'll be checking my oil every other fill up to make sure. With that being said, I'm going to get rid of it. Not 100% sure I won't have this problem down the road.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
One cold morning last week, a friend drove my 2007 MINI S and quickly commented on the loud racket coming from under the hood -- it was so loud, he thought the engine was being damaged. Guess I'd gotten used to the sound. A couple years ago a service tech at my California dealer told me they all do that so I was resigned to listening to the grinding metal sound. Now that I live in colder BC, the noise had grown worse.

So I left it overnight with MINI Richmond. The next morning they called to say they were replacing all the tensioner bits.

Picked it up this cold morning -- its a few degrees below 0 C -- and for the first time in memory my Cooper didn't sound like a diesel. Yay!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Eromitlab
1st Gear
Success--timing chain replaced!!

After the experience I posted below, I got a second opportunity when my MCS threw out the yellow "check engine-emissions" light on Monday of this week. I'll confess I had to look up what this light meant b/c I hadn't memorized my manual, but once I figured it out I got an appointment, this time with MINI of Alexandria (as opposed to MINI of Baltimore where I bought the car and where it was serviced regularly). Won't go back because of the bad service...for example they didn't do my oil change in January even though it was well due and my free maintenance was still in effect.

So I took it in and they asked if anything else was wrong aside from the engine light and I said I have the cold start rattle. SA Ryan said they would check it out and would be the perfect time to do it after a fresh oil change. So, presto they hear it the next morning (thankfully it was in the 20s overnight too) and moved on to do the service bulletin. Chain measured at 73mm well beyond tolerance so I was vindicated. They did the work yesterday and also ended up de-carboning my engine as well (after only 19xxx miles and 3 years they had to hit it twice it was so bad!). That second part is scary since to do that outside of warranty the service manager said would have run about $700! Ouch. Anyway I didn't have to argue or convince them of anything at all -- it was as it should be at every dealer, so as long as this actually solves the problem, MINI of Alexandria gets my two enthusiastic thumbs way up!!

Had a short but illuminating conversation with the service manager too, who all but said the carbon buildup is being blamed on the presence of ethanol in US gasoline. He contended that European S cars have had zero issues with engine carbon since their gas contains no ethanol. I'm sure others have written about this--as if we needed more reasons to hate ethanol and US energy / agriculture policy...

I'll keep this thread posted on how the car drives now that the bulletin has been performed. But I am temporarily relieved. Still mulling whether to get extended warranty next year or to maybe go the Justa Cooper route. I have enjoyed my loaner Coopers (aside from the AT) a lot.

Originally Posted by Eromitlab
I just had my 08 MCS (November 07 build) in to my dealer and I reported the cold start issue and asked that they perform the service bulletin. Was told they topped off my oil (half quart low after a mid-cycle change in November) and could not replicate it so they did not do the work. This week it of course repeated itself since it has regularly been in the 30s here in DC area. I saw someone had luck with Passport -- maybe I should just take it there. Easy to repeat if I park on an incline facing downward overnight. Presents every time.

This is the first attempt to try and get the bulletin done and I still have a year left on my warranty, so will keep after it.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
That SA is blowing smoke. Whatever kind of gas you run in a Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) engine has nothing to do with the coked carbon build-up on the outside of the intake valves. The carbon is coming from the PCV system dumping oil vapor/mist from the crankcase upstream from the intake valves. ALL DFI engines have this problem including the S in Europe. Your SA ain't all bad. My Service Manager didn't even know that the engine was all aluminum!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Eromitlab
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
That SA is blowing smoke. Whatever kind of gas you run in a Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) engine has nothing to do with the coked carbon build-up on the outside of the intake valves. The carbon is coming from the PCV system dumping oil vapor/mist from the crankcase upstream from the intake valves. ALL DFI engines have this problem including the S in Europe. Your SA ain't all bad. My Service Manager didn't even know that the engine was all aluminum!
So, seafoam diet it is then. Plus some more hard driving. Excellent. I'll take the good (cold start bulletin work DONE) with this bad.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQZ_0iJxCY

is this click still cold start/death rattle?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jrcsh6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQZ_0iJxCY

is this click still cold start/death rattle?
YUP! Sure sounds like it, even w/o putting a 'scope on it.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do we know yet whether the 2010 Cooper S is "better"? Consumer Reports says it is.

Hi, folks.

I've had PROBLEMS with my 09 MCS. I just got the annual CR auto issue and there's a big black circle next to the 2009 MCS. However, the 2010 has a half filled red one (better than average). Does anyone here have a 2010 MCS and, if so, any problems? I'm starting to panic. I know I can't afford any of the repairs I've had on my MCS once the car is out of warranty. BUT I don't want a JustaCooper either. I switched dealerships to a better one and a salesman said I could consider either paying for an extended warranty or trading in on a new MCS. Any pearls of wisdom? My car was 2 yrs old last November and has about 19K miles on it.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Bully Mini
Neutral
This afternoon, 70 degrees, MCS parked at an angle and I got the cold start rattle. Luckily had my Flip so took a video of it.

Has anyone had the issue when accelerating onto a freeway and getting a knocking / stumbling around 60 mph? I also have this documented on the Flip, two separate occasions

Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 AM
MédéMazé
1st Gear
Groupe FACEBOOK "Pour que PSA/BMW prennent en charge avaries & casses du THP - GTi/RC"

--> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108738409151303

Une pétition internationale :

http://distributionthp.free.fr/

In order that all of the PSA Group cars manufacturers (Peugeot and Citroen) & BMW Motors Group, are supporting 100% of the THP engine breakage (Turbo+ timing chain) + power loss on acceleration + cold-start problem

Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Peanut61
Banned
I got my car back and the dealer an they said it was "piston noise" until it warms up ....mmmm, right I know what noise forged pistons make until they are warmed up and this ain't it what a joke....

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
YUP! Sure sounds like it, even w/o putting a 'scope on it.
they called today and said they added the qt of oil it was lacking and it's fine? it was in primarily for an oil service.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issues Database