Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold Start Issues Database

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Want tp pass on a nearly hard learned lesson about the death rattle. At 20K I thought I was OK until one AM I started up with the windows down! With them up, didn't hear it. Dealer repaired and after 5K all is well. If possible, I'd strongly suggest you get into a "windows down" AM start up routine. Especially if you're deaf as a post like me, LoL.
open the glovebox and y'll really hear it.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
flintdragon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
FIND ANOTHER DEALER!!! The only "minor" long term problem is complete engine failure . I think our dealers are related.
Is this something that is totally up to the dealer to fix or not? Or is there some other way to get their attention?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
I am so glad for the NAM website and the information I have gleaned both before and after getting my Clubman.

I called MINI of Mountain View about the cold start chatter. They not only took the car in without question but did additional service as well. The chain tensioner was replaced and the chain tensioner distance was measured at 67 mm. I don't know the technical details on this, so if anyone want to comment, great. They also removed and replaced my clutch kit per SIM 21 01 07 when I had not mentioned any clutch issues. They did my regular maintenance early (oil, filter, microfilter and brake flush).

No rattle at start-up (but morning temperatures have been warmer-in the upper 40's to 50's).

My loaner was a convertible BMW 328 and putting the top down was pure fun.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
flintdragon
1st Gear
Well, my local MINI service department came through for me. I was getting worried that they weren't even going to look at the issue without reproducing it first. They took the appropriate measurement and replaced the tensioner only since it measured less than 68mm as per the SIM document.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 AM
nycminilaw
1st Gear
Hey Folks - don't want to cross post - so check out my post in the main Second Gen forum - had a lemon law arbitration with MINI USA and MINI Manhattan this week. They made light of our plight concerning the cold start issues, thought it wasn't really a problem, affected too many people, and refused to acknowledge that it has taken them a few tries to get this repair right. I will have videos up as well, showing that this newest fix still hasn't solved all of our problems.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM
nycminilaw
1st Gear
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
For those who've had only the tensioner replaced, has anyone noticed a loss in power and/or fuel economy? I'm wondering if mine is an isolated incident and if it's even related. I'm concerned my timing might be off since the tensioner replacement.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
irmiger
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
For those who've had only the tensioner replaced, has anyone noticed a loss in power and/or fuel economy? I'm wondering if mine is an isolated incident and if it's even related. I'm concerned my timing might be off since the tensioner replacement.
Nope, you should ask them if they re-flashed your software. The last time I had my tensioner worked on, they upgraded the software to the latest version. It would definitely change the behavior of your engine. If they did change it, ask them to recheck to make sure they got the right one for your car, there are tons of versions and not all are cross-compatible.

BTW, I'm still getting an average of 27-29 city and 35-36 hwy after the tensioner update (and I drive like a nut).

Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
FerRrari
2nd Gear
Model: 2009 MCS Coupe 6MT
Build Date: March 09
Miles: 10K
Duration: 30-90 sec
Frequency: Just started, every day for the last week.

RPM range: 500-1500
Ambient Temp: 50-60 F
Oil: Oil changes: 2K (authorized shop), 8K (authorized shop), 10K (dealer, 2-3 weeks ago)

Any other relevant information:
I always fill up with Shell Premium, never below 2 bars. Yesterday had the issue twice, in the AM and then around 6 PM when leaving work. Last one was really rough and violent, Yellow CEL came on, engine noise was different, car felt sluggish (do MINIs have a limp mode?). I checked the engine compartment and noticed the coolant level was below the MIN (I had no warnings for this on the computer). Drove to the gas station, got some coolant, poured enough to go over the MIN and drove home through surface streets to avoid stressing the engine (20 Mi all shifting under 3K RPM). When I got home, the coolant level was below MIN again. Can't spot any leaks, got my service appointment for Tuesday with Seattle MINI.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
I wasn't going to bother posting, then I remembered how good news gets outprinted 10:1 on these forums. I told MINI of Annapolis about the cold start chattering and mentioned the service bulletin (I also had a copy of it if they needed it). They didn't have any problem diagnosing based on tensioner slack and replaced the tensioner at my first annual service. The car only had 9k miles on it.

I haven't heard any chatter since then and I've had the car back for over a month. That's about 500 miles. What can I say, its just a toy I like to take out and play with whenever I can.

So count me as a satisfied customer.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
R3R
2nd Gear
MCS delivered Jan 2010. Cold start issues from intake manifold and fuel pump, no tensioner related rattle.

Intake manifold replaced at 300 miles.
Fuel pump replaced at 3600 miles.
Now at 5000 miles fuel pump needs to be replaced again.
My dealer is buying the car back and I am ordering a normally aspirated Cooper instead.

Should I expect any cold-start issues with the normally aspirated "justaCooper"?

PS. I will sorely miss my LSD on the MCS, it was fantastic for winter driving.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 MCS built in Dec. 2007. Has 19700 miles. Bought used in Oct. 2009 with 11,600 miles. In Dec. took it to Mini of Alexandria for the death rattle and other issues. Advised the rattle was carbon build up on the valves. In Jan. I did a Seafoam PCV treatment and changed the oil myself with Total Quartz 9000 0W-30. This helped somewhat. Last week the engine knocking noise was very noticeable as I had the hood open to do another Seafoam treatment before taking it to the dealer for their free oil change after the service light came on. I again complained about the death rattle. This time they replaced the timing chain (it measured 69mm), two tensioners, sprockets, guides and other related parts. The engine is much quieter now. However, they failed to replace the original air filter. Still have mystery low speed rattle in rear that dealer said was license plate frame (not).

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
foxtrot1662
Neutral
First time posting, long time lurker.

I took my car in for annual maintenance and told my Service Advisor about the rattle, he told me first that the car burns oil and that was the root of the problem. He also said the "death rattle" was a very rare occurrence and it was only effecting "certain vin numbers." I figured, "he knows a lot more about the car than I do, he must be right." As my car is getting serviced, the Tech found a nail in my tire (my luck sucks) I was told the car would have to stay over the weekend (they had to order the tire). Two hours before I was to go pick up my car, my SA calls me to let me know they heard the rattle and that the car needs to stay another two days for them to properly fix it.

My biggest fear is that damage is already done, and that any "fix" they're gonna do isn't going to address the damage caused by the faulty timing tensioner. Or is this completely unfounded?

Thanks,

Fox

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Relax. I had the full-meal-deal fix (not just the tensioner) any my MINI ran great afterwards.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry Mister Fox.

They found a fix for your problem and it will be repaired. The rattle seems to do no damage to the engine. It just sounds bad.

I know that nobody is supposed to plug a runflat tire but replaceing an expensive tire is not my cup of tea. I put a plug in my flat run-flat and it seems to be just fine. My flat was on the rear left tire and since it is plugged I will not rotate my tires front to rear anymore. I just could not see buying one tire for over $324.00 +tax when I can replace them all with Michelin non-runflats for less then $800.00. The OEM tires seem to be way over priced. Even from the Tire Rack.

Good luck on your repair and stop worrying.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Why can't you put a patch on a run flat? That is a far better repair than a plug.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are not supposed to do either for some reason.

I have heard it is because with a run-flat that if you drive to long or to fast with no air in the tire it messes up the sidewalls. A non-runflat you don't drive on it so no sidewall damage. I don't know if this is the real reason or not but that is what I was told by a good tire shop.

They have plugs that also are built into a patch. ( looks like a mushroom ) A regular patch or a plain ole plug. The mushroom plug is the best.

I have the regular plug in my tire because after using fix-a-flat I have a thick plastic glob inside of my tire so a mushroom patch would not work. The plug seals the hole and is working just fine.

In 51 years of driving and many,many plugs over the years I have never had a problem with a plug failing.

Last edited by ronnie948; 06-23-2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling again
Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
tkokick
1st Gear
Hi Mini-lovers!

I just took receipt of my 2010 Mini ClubmanS and am already having the stalling upon start and rough idle issues.

I had a 2007 CooperS with no such issues.

What is happening is that, upon starting and putting into gear, it stalls. Upon restart, it is fine.

At stop lights, it idles really rough - like it is about to stall.

My brand new baby is at the dealer now (235 miles on it) - and they are saying that they cannot replicate the stalling issue and have driven it and can't hear the rough idle (which to me is impossible - it is not like I haven't had a Mini before and know what they should sound like).

Does anyone have this issue on a 2010? And anyone have suggestions for what I should be telling the dealer with this?

This is WAY too new of a car to have this issue already.

Thanks so much for any help or support...

) Tara

Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Camden90240
1st Gear
I just took delivery of mine 6 days ago, but I'll tell you what, Im not a happy camper.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 AM
tkokick
1st Gear
Hi Camden - what is going on with yours to make you not happy??

I am frustrated with this as it is a brand-new car and should not be having issues already...

Hope you are having a great day -
Tara

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM
FerRrari
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FerRrari
Model: 2009 MCS Coupe 6MT
Build Date: March 09
Miles: 10K
Duration: 30-90 sec
Frequency: Just started, every day for the last week.

RPM range: 500-1500
Ambient Temp: 50-60 F
Oil: Oil changes: 2K (authorized shop), 8K (authorized shop), 10K (dealer, 2-3 weeks ago)

Any other relevant information:
I always fill up with Shell Premium, never below 2 bars. Yesterday had the issue twice, in the AM and then around 6 PM when leaving work. Last one was really rough and violent, Yellow CEL came on, engine noise was different, car felt sluggish (do MINIs have a limp mode?). I checked the engine compartment and noticed the coolant level was below the MIN (I had no warnings for this on the computer). Drove to the gas station, got some coolant, poured enough to go over the MIN and drove home through surface streets to avoid stressing the engine (20 Mi all shifting under 3K RPM). When I got home, the coolant level was below MIN again. Can't spot any leaks, got my service appointment for Tuesday with Seattle MINI.
Got my car back today, they basically replaced the auxiliary water pump, high pressure fuel pump, did the belt tensioner adjustments, and also cleaned the injectors. We'll see tomorrow if she starts acting up again. My SA Raychel from Seattle MINI was really on top of things, providing me constant updates so the whole experience wasn't too bad.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Treehuggingirl
1st Gear
This may sound stupid but.....

If you read in the owners manual about the type of fuel that the MINI is supposed to use. It states in there that if you use less than 91 it will make load clanking noises in the engine. I read that the first day I had my car because I did not know what type of fuel to put in it. I just put the premium. This may not be the problem at all but if you are not using the right type of gas then I would sure give it a try......

Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R3R
Should I expect any cold-start issues with the normally aspirated "justaCooper"?
No, not the same tensioner-related issues that affect the S's.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FerRrari
Got my car back today, they basically replaced the auxiliary water pump, high pressure fuel pump, did the belt tensioner adjustments, and also cleaned the injectors. We'll see tomorrow if she starts acting up again. My SA Raychel from Seattle MINI was really on top of things, providing me constant updates so the whole experience wasn't too bad.
FYI MINIs have (timing) chains, not belts.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Hey everybody, can you please go and complete do the poll https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-issues.html

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issues Database