Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold Start Issues Database

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
fixman2k
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from the Mini doctor (dealership). They replaced my intake manifold on my 2010 S - has 4300 miles on it. They stated after I had two incidents of engine warning light, then loss of power - 25 mph max, then the car would idle funny revving up and down on it's own...but after it warmed up, it would run ok with the engine light on. Dealer was 3 1/2 hrs one way. They replaced the intake manifold citing in my car, it is a moisture issue and they had a bulletin, they also changed the oil...& fixed a rattle. I hate squeaks and rattles. Drives me INSANE. Where is the intake manifold? How much stuff did they have to remove to do that? took like 3 hours. Seems to be ok now.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixman2k
I just got back from the Mini doctor (dealership). They replaced my intake manifold on my 2010 S - has 4300 miles on it. They stated after I had two incidents of engine warning light, then loss of power - 25 mph max, then the car would idle funny revving up and down on it's own...but after it warmed up, it would run ok with the engine light on. Dealer was 3 1/2 hrs one way. They replaced the intake manifold citing in my car, it is a moisture issue and they had a bulletin, they also changed the oil...& fixed a rattle. I hate squeaks and rattles. Drives me INSANE. Where is the intake manifold? How much stuff did they have to remove to do that? took like 3 hours. Seems to be ok now.
The intake manifold is at the top of the engine. Should be fairly easy to access but it has multiple bolts to seal it to the engine. The air entering the engine goes through the intake manifold. It is plastic and it looks like this
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/u/k/231.png.

It is not a big deal and has no moving parts but if moisture in the air freezes it can cause problems. This is not nearly as big of a deal mechanically as a fuel pump problem. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah...once they did my intake manifold, no more issues w/low power at cold startup. Yay for that!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Eromitlab
1st Gear
I just had my 08 MCS (November 07 build) in to my dealer and I reported the cold start issue and asked that they perform the service bulletin. Was told they topped off my oil (half quart low after a mid-cycle change in November) and could not replicate it so they did not do the work. This week it of course repeated itself since it has regularly been in the 30s here in DC area. I saw someone had luck with Passport -- maybe I should just take it there. Easy to repeat if I park on an incline facing downward overnight. Presents every time.

This is the first attempt to try and get the bulletin done and I still have a year left on my warranty, so will keep after it.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ if it'll help, my MINI only had the issue below 20 degrees F.

Only then did I get a "permanent" fault code the service techs could see.

Last edited by bettehead; 01-18-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
noirsith
1st Gear
Cold Start Issue now costing me $2600

Recently I noticed that my 2009 MINI Cooper S that I bought in 2009 had its Engine Pressure Sensor light come on while driving. I immediately pulled over as instructed under the car manual. I took it to the dealership and was subsequently informed thatt the Tensioner next to the Timing Chain seemed to have broken resulting in the oil leak. The dealership could repair it for $500 as it wasn't covered by warranty seeing as my car was over 50K miles. I A couple of hours later I was informed Timing Chain was also damaged and it would need to get replaced for $2100, again not covered by the warranty.

A little researched revealed that many other MINI owners had the same problem with the Timing Chain on the R56S. Also, dealership staff told me that they had seen up to 15 MINIs with the same problem with the timing chain this past year alone. I called the MINI Customer Service line about this mechanical defect and asked what the company was doing to remedy the situation. The representative informed me that all she could do was open a ticket and let me know that a service manager would make a decision whether to reimburse me in 3-5 business days. I was told that the service manager could not make a determination in a shorter period of time and I was advised that I should not pay for the repair first and then seek reimbursement because that would make it less likely that MINI would assist me with the costs of repairing their cars' defective timing chain.

I was able to call the dealership holding my car and procure a loaner for the time being as I wait for my ticket to work its way through the system. I don't understand why a known issue with the engine in my car wasn't fixed sooner by MINI since I took my car each time to the dealership to be serviced, especially since the Timing Chain seems to be a defect that is well-known to the company. I find it hard to believe that the part in question wasn't deteriorating over the past two years. I am even more disappointed that MINI is trying to pass off the high costs of a mechanical defect in its cars onto its customers who did not create the problem in the first place.

I was also able to find several newspaper articles about this issue, just very surprised nothing more has been done. I'll let you know how my issue turns out.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by noirsith
Recently I noticed that my 2009 MINI Cooper S that I bought in 2009 had its Engine Pressure Sensor light come on while driving. I immediately pulled over as instructed under the car manual. I took it to the dealership and was subsequently informed thatt the Tensioner next to the Timing Chain seemed to have broken resulting in the oil leak. The dealership could repair it for $500 as it wasn't covered by warranty seeing as my car was over 50K miles. I A couple of hours later I was informed Timing Chain was also damaged and it would need to get replaced for $2100, again not covered by the warranty.

A little researched revealed that many other MINI owners had the same problem with the Timing Chain on the R56S. Also, dealership staff told me that they had seen up to 15 MINIs with the same problem with the timing chain this past year alone. I called the MINI Customer Service line about this mechanical defect and asked what the company was doing to remedy the situation. The representative informed me that all she could do was open a ticket and let me know that a service manager would make a decision whether to reimburse me in 3-5 business days. I was told that the service manager could not make a determination in a shorter period of time and I was advised that I should not pay for the repair first and then seek reimbursement because that would make it less likely that MINI would assist me with the costs of repairing their cars' defective timing chain.

I was able to call the dealership holding my car and procure a loaner for the time being as I wait for my ticket to work its way through the system. I don't understand why a known issue with the engine in my car wasn't fixed sooner by MINI since I took my car each time to the dealership to be serviced, especially since the Timing Chain seems to be a defect that is well-known to the company. I find it hard to believe that the part in question wasn't deteriorating over the past two years. I am even more disappointed that MINI is trying to pass off the high costs of a mechanical defect in its cars onto its customers who did not create the problem in the first place.

I was also able to find several newspaper articles about this issue, just very surprised nothing more has been done. I'll let you know how my issue turns out.
The only "cure" they have remidied is the reworked 2011 engine where the problem should'nt excist....Time will tell

Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
OMG...yes, please let us know how it goes. I also have an '09!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Rixter
5th Gear

Since there was a know service bulliten from BMW/MINI and if your car was being service regulalry by your dealer, I would ask why they didn't think to measure the timing chain during one of your services.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
<3myMINIr56
1st Gear
has it happened to anyone a second time?

Sorry to hear about the above issues :(

I have an '07 mini and had my cold start issue "fixed" last July/August 2010 with about 42k miles.
They took the car in with little hesitation and supposedly repaired/replaced the necessary parts, but only the parts associated with this fix (no clutch or fuel pump, like others??). A few days later, it was all better.

Fast forward to today, about 4000 miles later. I'm starting to hear the rattle again. It's not as loud, at least not yet anyway. I live in the bay area, and the weather has been decent (50's to 60's). I usually hear it in 2nd gear at about 2500-3500k rpms and sometimes even in 3rd.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this issue again, even after getting it repaired?
And would it be premature to take it to the dealer again even though the rattle isn't as consistent as before?
I have about 3900 miles before my warranty expires... I'm not sure if I want to let the sound get worse, so I can be sure, or drive over sooner rather than later.

Advise or opinions please?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Not sure if it's the same sound, but my MINI has made a dull, intermitant ringing sound at speeds below 45mph since I got it. Only really hear it with windows down. The frequency doesn't change with gear/rpm and is still there at 42K. Had the dealer check and they couldn't find anything. I've had two new MINI loaners and they make the exact same noise. My suspicion is that the exhaust pipe heat shielding is resonating at speeds from 25-45mph. It is shaped kinda like a bell. Ideas/opinions?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
noirsith
1st Gear
Both of you I recommend you guys get it to the shop and ask them to take a look at your car. And if they say they found nothing then ask them to measure the timing chain like Rixter mentioned.

I have yet to hear back from MINI customer relations and they are closed today and tomorrow. I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to front the cash even though I had my car serviced regularly through the dealership.

Keeping my fingers crossed till Monday.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
noirsith
1st Gear
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, I got a call today saying my claim was denied. Looks like I'll have to front the cash for a car that's not even two years old. I can't believe that MINI nor the dealership is taking any responsibility for not checking on the timing chain when there was a service bulletin out for this issue.

Very disappointing. I think I will be filing a complain with NHTSA.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Both of you I recommend you guys get it to the shop and ask them to take a look at your car. And if they say they found nothing then ask them to measure the timing chain like Rixter mentioned.

I have yet to hear back from MINI customer relations and they are closed today and tomorrow. I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to front the cash even though I had my car serviced regularly through the dealership.

Keeping my fingers crossed till Monday.
The noise I was talking about has nothing to do with the chain tensioner death rattle. I had that problem fixed at 17K under warranty, but had to force the dealer to do it! The tensioner defect is nothing new. That service bulletin and kit to repair it was issued in Nov, 2007!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
At this point I would recommend to everyone to immediately file a complaint with NHTSA. If Mini Fixes it or not it should be registered!

Links to file a complaint can be found here.

http://www.minicooperspeed.com/mini-...se-issue-2007/

Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Flagg
1st Gear
Mine is right now for the death rattle (timing tensioner issue). It is under warranty. 2009 Cooper S with 24,000 miles on it.

They gave me a loaner and are going to fix it at no cost.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Flagg
1st Gear
And almost as soon as I posted that the dealer called and told me they heard the rattle this morning and replaced the tensioner and timing chain.

So there you go.

My 2009 S has had both major issues. The rattle and the HPFP.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^HPFP? What's that?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bettehead
^HPFP? What's that?
High pressure fuel pump. There"s known problems so MINI has extended the warranty 10 years on them.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ Aha...thanks.

Oh, dear God. Another issue! Gaaah!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
ash5
1st Gear
Loss of power

Just wondering if anybody had ideas re: loss of power after a cold start. This has happened a few times this winter. The last was this morning and the worst yet. I was parked on a hill, nose down in Philly. Upon start, the first vroom sounded rough. Then for the first minute or two, I'd hit the gas and have almost no increase in RPMs. Timing belt? Intake manifold? HPFP? Any thoughts would be great.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ That happened to me when temp was below 20 degrees C. I got my MINI in November so it happened just after I took delivery. It felt like frozen gas lines. The first time, no fault message was recorded; the second time it was. The MINI dealer replaced the intake manifold with a different design. It turns out the original one trapped moisture in there which froze. There is a video on YouTube of this issue so you can see if it's what you're experiencing. The good news is that after they replaced the manifold I had no further problem like this.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 AM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
i was wondering this morning. how bad is the cold start stuff on the car? does it actually hurt it? is it leading to a huge prople? is the engine going to blow or something dramatic and expensive?
i've had mine in 3 times and i THINK that it's all in order but i just wonder for everyone's sake what the actual threat is besides sounding like death and in some instances temporarily slowing you down.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
It's not called the Death Rattle for nothing! If the chain tensioner problem is not corrected, you can lose the engine.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issues Database