Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT Jerks when put in Drive.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
wilkiewheels
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Jerks when put in Drive.

I recently bought an 03 MC CVT with 64K miles. I have put about 1200 miles on it and I really like the car but notice some characteristics different from a conventional AT. The car jerks a little when shifting from reverse to drive. Is this normal with an MC CVT? Also, I noticed it does a bit of a bucking motion when backing up. Is this normal for the CVT? What is the maintenance required on the CVT. The PO said everything is up to date but if there is a fluid change needed I would like to get it done. Thanks in advance for any input here. Great forum.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
coachfraley
1st Gear
Interested to hear what people say...

Drive is fine on mine, but my brand new MCS hesitates, then bucks when I put it in reverse. I have been mulling over whether or not to take it in because it doesn't do it every time.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Your MCS has a different transmission. CVTs are only in the Coopers.

There's lot's of stuff about CVTs on here. Do a search but be prepared to read some ugly stuff. They are expensive to replace and there's no repairing them.

While replacement is expensive and it has happened to quite a few CVT owners, I wouldn't say it's common. It's just that those owners get particularly loud when it happens because it is so expensive.

Make sure your Tranny fluid is fresh and change it ever 25k miles and you'll be doing everything you can to extend the life of it.

Regarding the jerkiness: My wife's CVT is jerky at low speeds (<10-15mp). I've heard there's an update to the computer software that might resolve it. If it's happening more than just those speeds you may have a problem.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
wilkiewheels
Neutral
Originally Posted by STLMINI
Your MCS has a different transmission. CVTs are only in the Coopers.

There's lot's of stuff about CVTs on here. Do a search but be prepared to read some ugly stuff. They are expensive to replace and there's no repairing them.

While replacement is expensive and it has happened to quite a few CVT owners, I wouldn't say it's common. It's just that those owners get particularly loud when it happens because it is so expensive.

Make sure your Tranny fluid is fresh and change it ever 25k miles and you'll be doing everything you can to extend the life of it.

Regarding the jerkiness: My wife's CVT is jerky at low speeds (<10-15mp). I've heard there's an update to the computer software that might resolve it. If it's happening more than just those speeds you may have a problem.
Yeah, I think the ugly stuff is why I got concerned. Not just here but also other forums. Mine does the jerky thing at low speeds too. My wife and I switch back and forth from our Lincoln Aviator. Once I get acquainted with the Mini I have a lot of fun. When I first got the car I took it to a Mini dealer and had all the maintenance done. They didn't say anything about changing the CVT fluid so next visit I'll just have it done. They did tell me the CVT was working as designed. So I guess I should take their word for it. The CVT just works different than a conventional AT. I do like the torque through the power band at take off. Thanks for the input.
Jeff. This is a great forum.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 AM
gaffer
3rd Gear
I think they are just like that a low speed. Mine will sometimes "rubber band" a little in reverse; feels like a little slack in the drive belt. Kind of depends on how I mash the gas backing up. From reverse to drive it will sometimes "lurch" a little just after start off. My neighbor has one, same deal. I'm at 19000 miles and plan to get the CVT oil changed at around 25000.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I've found that the lurching from P to D or R to D in my MINI is related the temperature of the CVT fluid. When very cold outside, the lurch is particularly bad if I don't let the car warm up sufficiently. When the fluid is warm, everything is nice smooth when going from P to D or R to D.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
I owned a CVT for 7 years....when we first bought it the jerkiness was noticeable. Over the years we had various updated software downloaded by MINIUSA and it was better. I sold it in 2010, not because there was anything wrong with it but rather because I did not want to have to deal with it if something went wrong. Hopefully the present owner has and is enjoying trouble free motoring with it...it was a great car. We replaced it with a 2010 Clubman which we both love a lot (but not as much as my new Challenger )

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
best of luck !