R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

They're not $hitting you about using MINI spec oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
They're not $hitting you about using MINI spec oil filters

I bought a 2011 MINI Cooper S Countryman All4 in early January. The selling dealership, a Kia dealership, performed an oil and filter change before I picked it up. Everything about the sales experience at that dealership was top-notch, BTW. I noticed soon after that when I really gunned the car so the N18 turbo would go into its designed over boost mode, the red oil pressure warning light would briefly illuminate along with the warning chime. I would back out immediately, of course. Remember, this is with a fresh oil change so definitely not low on oil. This was completely reproducible. I thought that maybe it was the oil pressure sensor because, you know...it's a German car LOL. Fast forwarding to now (early March) I have enjoyed a good relationship with my local MINI dealership here in Ottawa, Canada. I've had a couple of niggly leftover maintenance items completed at the dealership. I mentioned this periodic oil pressure issue to the service advisor when I was getting my valvetronic motor replaced about 2 weeks ago (1.5 months into ownership basically). He said that the issue was most likely the non-OEM oil filter that the Kia dealership had used which was causing the oil pressure issue when I dipped hard into the boost. He also said that even if I chose not to get my oil changes performed at the dealership, I should always buy OEM oil filters for use at my favourite oil change place. [Sidebar: In my case that's Mr. Lube here in Ottawa. I know the regional manager and he gives me a very good discount as we track our cars (not my MINI) at Calabogie Motorsports Park].

I thought, "What the heck" and went ahead and had them change the oil for me ($160 vs. $90 at Mr. Lube) and you know what? They were right. The issue has completely gone away. I have since Googled this issue and the Internet seems mostly to support the fact that some oil filter brands should be avoided.

Last edited by eric.stewart; 03-01-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos because I'm OCD ;-)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 AM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Don't keep us in suspense. What is the recommended oil filter and what are the bad ones?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:28 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Ha ha! I'm not going to perpetuate Internet myths by posting my own "no go" list of oil filters for MINIs! I would just say stick with the OEM ones. I've done this with my Audi TT track car and it's been bulletproof. The Interwebs (and this includes a number of self-styled expert garage sites) say that there is a high variability in the quality of non-OEM oil filters. I suspect that much is absolutely correct but to extrapolate this to all non OEM filter is just plain dumb. Also, I don't want my car to be a test bed for non OE filters. I also tend to not listen to the siren call of quality aftermarket ones such as AMSOIL, etc., because after all...who knows OE quality better than OE? Lesson learned for me. I should have listened to my own inner voice. I'm such a hypocrite.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I have only ever used OE oil filters on my Minis. Those oil change prices seem a little on the high side.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I have read that the non oem filters will release lint off of them. When I pulled the vanos solenoid off of the n14 clubby I'm redoing it was blocked up with filter lint fibers. I will only use oem filters myself just for that reason. I will also give them a blow with an air hose to remove any loose material.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pjsjr13
I have only ever used OE oil filters on my Minis. Those oil change prices seem a little on the high side.
The $160 or the $90?
Originally Posted by I like mini clubman's
I have read that the non oem filters will release lint off of them. When I pulled the vanos solenoid off of the n14 clubby I'm redoing it was blocked up with filter lint fibers. I will only use oem filters myself just for that reason. I will also give them a blow with an air hose to remove any loose material.
Wow! Just reinforces the need to not go cheap on the oil filter!

Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
[QUOTE=eric.stewart;4453802]The $160 or the $90?

$160 is about double what my Mini dealer charges

Old 03-01-2019, 11:53 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

$160 Canadian = about $125 US. It's still a bit pricey...agreed. But I was there and it was convenient.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Yep, last oil change that i had done at the Kitchener, Ontario BMW/MINI dealer was $115 Cdn + taxes. I had one done prior to that at Canadian Tire at $96 Cdn + tax