R58 2014 Several Questions - North American Motoring


R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 2014 Several Questions

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 PM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R58 2014 Several Questions

I have 2014 R58. Several days ago I've been seing "Increased Battery Charge" then I read about leaving door unlock discharges battery. I tested my battery with multimeter and reads 14. And lately I'm experiencing hesitation when starting the engine and when accelerating.
1. Is it possible my battery is not fully charged or bad? And cause the hesitation?
2. If I remove the battery and charge it, do I need to register the battery?
3. Can I pick up a battery at local car part store or is there specific type for mini?

Appreciate any help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Tigger2011 Tigger2011 is offline
Prototype-R
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sunrise, FL
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
You can't go by battery voltage with out placing a load on it. As batteries age sulfidation occurs on the internal plates. As this continues the batteries loose capacity. They may still hold 14 volts with no load but can no longer carry the amp draw needed. Your local auto parts store can test the capacity of the battery. Group 40, 47 and 48 batteries will fit with the group 48 being the exact same dimensions as the factory battery. As long as it is a round 600 CCA with a 70 amp/hour rating or better you can use. One note of caution that can be easy to overlook. Make sure the battery you buy comes with the vent hole on the side to plug the vent tube into. All lead acid batteries gas when charging producing sulfur dioxide and hydrogen. Directly behind your battery is the cabin air filter. This is where outside air enters the cabin when the environmental system is not on recirculate.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Tigger2011 Tigger2011 is offline
Prototype-R
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sunrise, FL
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Almost forgot. If the negative terminal of your battery does not have an additional connector on it with wires coming of it then you do not have IBS monitoring and no battery registration is necessary. If you do have the IBS option then battery registering is recommended to maximize your new battery life. But it is not absolutely necessary. I use the Carly for BMW app on my phone to run diagnostics, clear error codes, reset service checks and do battery registration.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 PM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
You can't go by battery voltage with out placing a load on it. As batteries age sulfidation occurs on the internal plates. As this continues the batteries loose capacity. They may still hold 14 volts with no load but can no longer carry the amp draw needed. Your local auto parts store can test the capacity of the battery. Group 40, 47 and 48 batteries will fit with the group 48 being the exact same dimensions as the factory battery. As long as it is a round 600 CCA with a 70 amp/hour rating or better you can use. One note of caution that can be easy to overlook. Make sure the battery you buy comes with the vent hole on the side to plug the vent tube into. All lead acid batteries gas when charging producing sulfur dioxide and hydrogen. Directly behind your battery is the cabin air filter. This is where outside air enters the cabin when the environmental system is not on recirculate.
Thank you Tiggerw2011 think I need a new bettery still using the original battery. This one about 4 years old... thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:28 PM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Almost forgot. If the negative terminal of your battery does not have an additional connector on it with wires coming of it then you do not have IBS monitoring and no battery registration is necessary. If you do have the IBS option then battery registering is recommended to maximize your new battery life. But it is not absolutely necessary. I use the Carly for BMW app on my phone to run diagnostics, clear error codes, reset service checks and do battery registration.
here is the photo of my battery

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Tigger2011 Tigger2011 is offline
Prototype-R
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sunrise, FL
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Yep thats an IBS connector on the negative terminal. I'd recommend registering a new battery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 AM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Yep thats an IBS connector on the negative terminal. I'd recommend registering a new battery.
I contacted mini service charging me $400 for new battery and register. Found new battey for $120. But mini wont register items purchase elsewhere. Luckly I have foxwell NT 510 that is capable for registering new battery... thank your assistance Bosch battery posted below
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 25,051
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Yep, just make sure to register it and you should be fine. I dont see the cross ref for that battery but the CCA and CA should be close to the same and the size and terminal placement should be the same as the old one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nt-help-2.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2018, 05:31 PM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Yep, just make sure to register it and you should be fine. I dont see the cross ref for that battery but the CCA and CA should be close to the same and the size and terminal placement should be the same as the old one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nt-help-2.html
below is the spec of my current battery.. size is the same... the bosch tech only check the size of my battery they don’t have book for reference.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM
dube53 dube53 is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 898
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervicta View Post

below is the spec of my current battery.. size is the same... the bosch tech only check the size of my battery they don’t have book for reference.
Did you ask Mini if this is covered under 4yr/50k warranty?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 AM
ervicta ervicta is offline
Neutral
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dube53 View Post
Did you ask Mini if this is covered under 4yr/50k warranty?
i’ts pre-owed bought at mini they only cover 90 days from purchased date.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 AM
MCS02 MCS02 is offline
MINI Alliance Ambassador
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 68
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
That battery should be fine. My wife’s 2014 R57 and my 2013 R58 JCW battery’s went bad with in a week of each other. I just went the local parts store and grabbed a new battery. I used my Foxwell to register them. All is good with both cars
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 25,051
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
My battery died in my R58 JCW because before i bought it, the owner had the car sitting for long period of time and never trickled charged it. If MINI sees that they can deny a warranty, they did on mine. They pulled the info and could see it was sitting with a few starts and the battery low for months. I got a new one and it was good to go , then just register with the schwaben tool.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2018, 05:35 PM
dube53 dube53 is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 898
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
My battery died in my R58 JCW because before i bought it, the owner had the car sitting for long period of time and never trickled charged it. If MINI sees that they can deny a warranty, they did on mine. They pulled the info and could see it was sitting with a few starts and the battery low for months. I got a new one and it was good to go , then just register with the schwaben tool.
What is the purpose to register a battery? I may miss something here.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 25,051
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Its just to reset the system, the IBS will control the amount of charge the alternator will give overtime to prolong the battery. That's what its based off of.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to driving a manual - several questions/concerns! tgoodspe R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) 23 05-21-2015 10:08 AM
Several questions rolled into one... fifty9singlecab R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) 7 04-17-2011 10:14 AM
Several serious questions MiniLovesPepsi MINI Owners of New Jersey (MONJ) 14 03-31-2008 08:11 PM
Several clutch questions / possible issue RonP Stock Problems/Issues 4 10-23-2007 04:39 PM
Several questions about polishing and Waxing kyriian Detailing 101 10 09-11-2004 08:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 PM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: