R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Software Campaign for early 09 Convertibles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Software Campaign for early 09 Convertibles.

So this morning, I went to the dealership to have that passenger door weather strip installed, and while they were reading my Key FOB, they told me that there is a mandatory software campaign which means that there's some new software for the FRM (Foot Module). The upload could take up to 2 hours, so I declined with for today, but scheduled the appt in three weeks.

So, any idea what in the Foot Module software campaign, and why? I am hoping for one-touch up windows, or one touch open and close convertible top + windows or or even auto fold-in power mirrors, etc...

Wife says keep dreaming

Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm, I hope to have my replacement arch installed sometime next week. I'll probably have the update done then. I'm intrigued what it will change. Also, I wonder how 'early' is an 'early 09.' My MCSC wasn't born until 6/30.

Last edited by Jeremy1026; 09-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to go in as well to get my seat belts looked at. They don't retract. I wonder if the folks across the pond (atlantic ocean) have had the same software adjustment?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:51 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
My dealer called to say my passenger door strip was in and a new lock mechanism for the left rear seat back (which has never worked) and they would, just in case, replace the driver door strip.

Since they need to keep the car - possibly all day - for the computer upgrade. they will give me either a Mini or a Mazda 6 for a loaner.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zanary

I am hoping for one-touch up windows, or one touch open and close convertible top + windows
it won't be any of this stuff, there are good reasons why they do not offer these on the convertibles (no pinch protection = they don't want to get sued), so they won't happen.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
Oh I had this done back in August. It changes some of the way the windows roll up and down. I dont remember all the details, but before the update I had to hold the up switch until the back windows rolled up, then release and hold it for the front. Now I can just hold it down and after the back windows roll up, the front windows do as well. For some reason, it also reset my turn signal setting of 3 blinks back to factory default, but nothing else(?). There was one other thing it changed, but I cant remember what it is. If I do i'll be sure to post it.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by koveras
Oh I had this done back in August. It changes some of the way the windows roll up and down. I dont remember all the details, but before the update I had to hold the up switch until the back windows rolled up, then release and hold it for the front. Now I can just hold it down and after the back windows roll up, the front windows do as well. For some reason, it also reset my turn signal setting of 3 blinks back to factory default, but nothing else(?). There was one other thing it changed, but I cant remember what it is. If I do i'll be sure to post it.
I must have this already then. My windows go up in the way you mentioned.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by koveras
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
I must have this already then. My windows go up in the way you mentioned.
Mine do the same thing as well. When I had my JCW Brake Kit installed around August 7th they did a software upgrade which also reset my turn signal setting back to 1 from 3. I have no idea what that upgrade was for, or if it was to re-code something related to my JCW Brake Kit or not.

This new software campaign was the only software upgraded my 09 Convertible needed based on the readings from my FOB and their online system, so I'm assuming it might be something that occured in the August month after the 7th maybe?

Anyone interested in risking $30 to find out by checking http://www.minitechinfo.com or we'll just wait for someone to have it done and tell us what's new

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Jeremy1026
Anyone interested in risking $30 to find out by checking http://www.minitechinfo.com or we'll just wait for someone to have it done and tell us what's new
Pretty dumb that you have to be running IE or Netscape on Windows for that website. They are missing out ono about 10-15% of the possible market. (Including myself.)

Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a software update performed about 6 weeks ago on my R57. I was told it was for the convertible top.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
How strange. I was told the software upgrade was to fix some glitch with the windows. I have heard nothing about a software fix for the top...and yes, Jeremy, who runs Netscape anymore? I use Firefox on Windows and Opera on Linux(Opera doesnt support addons I need for work stuff).

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I could be mistaken, maybe it was for the windows.... ?? Here is the text of from my service invoice:

May 26, 2009
reprogram frm module per open campaign
0058696 programming control units and performing complete encoding procedure
285 wc
pc: 0061930200
perform frm reprogramming as in attached bulletin #610209.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Mine was done yesterday. Service manager said it was to correct the upper window setting.

I also had both door seals replaced and the lock on the left read seatback which never worked.

I did learn something though. The gave me a non "S" clubman with automatic to drive while mine was in the shop. What I learned was that if I could not have a convertible..."S"...with 6-spd., I would not have a Mini.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So, I'm brinigng this thread up since I finally had the opportunity to have them do the Software Compaign on the FRM Modules, however.....

When they did that, the system also went through every single control module and updated them. Who knows what exactly was updated, but...

And a BIG BUT...

Now my R57 with the JCW Stage 1 Kit drives entirely different, almost as though it reborn an "S" again...

Firstly, there is a huge difference between a JCW Stage 1 back down to an "S". You feel it right away. I think the difference is more pronounced when you back from a JCW to an "S", instead of the other way around.

Second, I miss the throaty sound of the JCW Stage 1 Kit.

Now, I have a feeling that becuase I didn't bring my JCW Stage 1 Engine Kit CD with me for the appt, the system just installed the regular "S" as part of the process to code all control modules.

I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow, and see if they can do the upgrade with my CD again possibly this weekend.

So, if you hade your R57 installed with the JCW Engine Tuning Kit, and then had the Software Campaign, it's possible that you will need your ECU re-flashed...

I'll update more as I find out the details tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Jeremy1026
Now, I have a feeling that becuase I didn't bring my JCW Stage 1 Engine Kit CD with me for the appt, the system just installed the regular "S" as part of the process to code all control modules.
Thats why I keep my JCW Software in my glove compartment.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the JCW kit installed yesterday. Now they do not have a CD. At least that is what I was told by 2 different dealerships, and I was not given one. It is installed from the the computer used at the mini service dept. I was told by the mechanic that did my install that he first did all of the updates, and that I really did not need very much, and then installed the kit. I believe I had most of my updates done the past 2 times at Universal Mini when they fixed my radio issue.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
When the kit is installed in your car, it is **supposed to ** update the records at BMWNA to show that your VIN has the kit installed. This means that whenever they do upgrades it **should** recognize that your car needs the JCW flash. Of course, that doesn't mean that always happens.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
interchange1
1st Gear
software

I never received a cd when my kit was installed. My car was built on 1/09 and my front windows raise after the rears with the switch constantly pressed....so I guess I already have the update.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by interchange1
I never received a cd when my kit was installed. My car was built on 1/09 and my front windows raise after the rears with the switch constantly pressed....so I guess I already have the update.
So do purchase one of the Launch Convertibles? The reason is becuase 1/09 would make it a Week 1 thru 4 which were very very early on. The Launch Interchange Yellow Convertibles were Week 4 thru 6 I believe, and all the Interchange Yellows were configured almost exactly the same with the JCW Body Kit being installed at the port along with the Black lights. Week 9 onwards were the first allocations opened for custom orders.

Anyways, it's possible that the August FRM Software Compaign may have been applied at some point if you did take in your Mini, otherwise I can't explain why it didn't show up when they plugged in your key fob into their computer system.

I also believe that the actual dealership launch of the 2009 Mini Converrtible took place on March 28th all over the US. Only one Mini owner on here (Sunnygirl) was able to pick up Mini Convertible a few days prior to the launch, while the rest of us had to wait until after the Launch.

SunnyGirl's Post = https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...o-is-here.html

Pictures of the 2009 Mini Convertible S Interchange Yellow Launch Vehicle = https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-aero-kit.html

As for the JCW Kit, I had my installed in June and I did receive my CD which was coded for my VIN. I believe a few others also receive a CD along with the certificate. I guess they no longer do the CD.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
zanary
4th Gear
I've make two copies now, and will do the same going forward