R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Door molding, passenger side...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door molding, passenger side...

Just wanted to see if this was a wider manufacturing issue or just my car~

The molding on the inside of the passenger door is coming loose. Brought it to the service guy who reattached but is now coming off again.
He told me this may happen & the molding actually seemed too big for the space. He had seen one other car with the same problem & thought it may be a manufacturing error on a grander scale.
Anyone else with this issue?
Thanks!

Enjoy the day-
Robt

Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
Yes. Mine has this problem. It's a week 11 Cooper Convertible. I haven't taken it back yet.
I've also noticed another problem on mine:
The front passenger seat belt has a half-twist in it. One end needs to be removed, untwisted and reattached.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
hmmmm...

Mine too is a week 11 Cooper Convertible.
(no seatbelt issue tho'...)

Old 05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Yup, mine has that exact same issue. I brought it to the dealer's attention, and they have ordered a new, but it's still on backorder (since April 25th).

From what I can see, it's not that the part doesn't fit correctly, but lack of the black automotive adhesive that keeps it in place.I was thinking of going and picking up some of that adhesive from the local auto supply store, applying it across the entire length of the door where the molding sits. This way it's not going to come off ever... I might do that if the part that we need is still on backorder.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it's on backorder as Mini is getting the right seal manufactured as ours may be defective (i.e. loose) in some way.

My Mini was a Week 10 build (last week of Feb 2009)

Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sweetestbaboon
The molding on the inside of the passenger door is coming loose.
Same thing happened to me.....the dealer has "re-attached" it once, we'll see if it needs another fix later on. Definitely sounds like quite a few early R57s have this issue, huh? I know that some polyurethane adhesive would keep it there once and for all.....

sunnygirl

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM
DrSelina
2nd Gear
I haven't had this yet, but I will keep my eyes open

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
LetzDanz
1st Gear
I had the molding issue with the Drivers' Door w/ my wk 14 build.
Reported it to the dealer, then looking at it, I saw it did have some adhesive which still looked in good shape.
I got out the rubber mallet and starting at the back of the door, tapped it in.
This seemed very effective with the rubber almost "snapping into place.
Last Friday, I noticed the seat belt was twisted. I spent a few minutes spooling it all the way out and letting it gather itself slowly. The thing worked itself out.
All is good so far except the windshield is fighting me --I can't seem to get it clean. I attribute the inside to plastic off-gassing and the outside to wax or sommat, I will eventually win.

Having a ball with the top down!

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
quick update

Turns out my waycool service guy ordered the new moulding without even telling me after I first brought in the car & it should be in mid-June.
There was a backorder so you may want to check if you have this problem so you can get the part post-haste...

Enjoy the day-
Robt

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Can you share the new molding part number with us?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
I have the problem on my HzB S on the Drivers Side. I have popped it into place a few times already. My problem is the dealer is 300 miles away. Also the black moulding under the rear bumper does not mate with the wheel well black moulding. I called the dealer and he said he had three on the show room floor the same way. I will have a list by the time we get our new dealer here in Pensacola, FL. Supposed to be on line/open August 6, 2009
Milton Mini

Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
zanary
4th Gear
So after talking to my dealer, the replacement part for the driver side and the passenger side is still on Nation Wide backorder. The dealer says that when this happens and they don't get any updates, it usually means that there was a problem with the original part, and Mini is still working on engineering and manufacturing a new part as a replacement.

So this means, we have to live with the current problem until Mini finally have a solution.

I think that's the only one issue I've had with my Mini to date.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM
njchris
1st Gear
Just came in to see if anyone else had this problem.

I brought this in a few weeks after I got the car. They put more of the sticky stuff in, but it kept coming loose. The passenger side too, but not as much because the door isn't used as much. I made an appt last week and the molding started to tear from the friction and problem.

They ordered new ones for me and I'm going back on Monday to have them put in.

Anyone else have new molding put on and has it stopped happening?

other than this, my IY MCC at just under 5k has not had any issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
My moulding was replaced by my dealer (in NJ) about 2 weeks ago. They ordered the moulding 4 weeks ago. I asked why they don't simply glue it back on. The SA told me that replacement is the correct fix and that's the only (warranty) repair they will do.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Ken Laws
1st Gear
I have this too, on my driver's side. It came loose, but I was able to shove it back in. It does look a little too big for the space. Every few days, I pound it a couple of times with my fist to keep it from coming loose again.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll definitely take the car in once this back-order is taken care of.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
whorrace
1st Gear
My 3 week old cabrio has the half-twist in the passenger side seat belt too.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whorrace
My 3 week old cabrio has the half-twist in the passenger side seat belt too.
This is overlapping with another post, but you can pull the belt all the way out and still have a half-twist hidden inside the body. So you or someone else may have put that twist in. Apply the correcting half-twist and then feed it back through the slot - problem over. Pull the belt all the way out and the problem won't reappear. At least, that worked for me.

Andrew

Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Ken Laws
1st Gear
Say, did anyone ever get a part number or a service notice for the door seal that I can refer my dealer to?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:23 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Ken,

I just had both door seal replaced yesterday.

R - 51-76-2-758-568
L - 51-76-2-758-567

But your dealer surely knows about this...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Ken Laws
1st Gear
Thanks, Austin. That should help the next time I have to take it in.

I took it in a couple of weeks ago, but the service guys had never heard of the "wrong part" problem, so they ended up just gluing it back on. It's already separating again.

-Ken.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
BartleyMini
Neutral
Door seal issues -

I've been reading your posts in hopes of finding an answer to the problem of the door seal and window air leak. We have a 2011 Mini Cooper Convertible S that we bought in January. We have had the door seal checked 3 separate times. On the 2nd trip we picked up our car, drove to the front of the dealership to look at the Countryman and the door would not close properly; they supposedly fixed it; we drove to the Academy store down the street afterwards, the door would not close properly so we went back. They then decided to order the whole door seal. That's been installed for about 5 weeks - today it came loose all over again. We are not rubbing up against it to cause it to pull away. The window also has an air leak that I have now located, even though they thought they fixed it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to fix it ourselves - it's a brand new car! Thanks.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
LetzDanz
1st Gear
Door Seal & Wndow

Hello,

First, congratulations on your car.
You're going to have a lot of fun.

Second, as this forum taught me, low production cars with complex systems
can gave annoying problems.

This one (door seals) is aggravating. As I understand it, the original design
was supposed to be a mostly mechanical fit. I might be using the wrong term, but it was supposed to --basically snap in place without a lot of glue etc.

Tho original design (my first one) was quite round when new and could be pulled out of place easily. Once that happened, it wouldn't be right again.

I just took it back because the replacement had begun doing the same thing after 1 year. First they tried glue, but I objected & indicated that I could not give them high marks on the BMW NA Survey.

So, back it went & before the shoved a new seal on, they closely examined the pinch weld & found it had a few spots of damage. The new seal seem really good & shows none of the previous issues.

I made the stink because I've lived with a chatter or similar noise over my
Driver's Side ear all winter. Now, I wanted to get it fixed. in the end, they changed the door seal as described and adjusted the rear window to roll a tiny but higher @ full stop. That noise is solved for now.

On a separate topic, I cracked the windshield this winter (small rock or cinder kicked up by a truck hit the Pass Top & ended w/ a 8" crack in the corner. My old BMW's needed a very level surface when replacing glass.
Something about being stressed by design, etc.

I hate rattles, so I had the Mini Dlr do the w/s ($1,400, but covered by my insurance). When I got it back, it had a horrendous wind noise over 65mph. They had it back and re-seated / sealed it twice befre it was wind & water tight.

So,
If your wind noise is from the door I recommend making a polite stink about the seal & checking the window mechanisms.

If the wind noise is from the front, do the seals AND have them use Air and or water to find the spot where the W/S is not properly sealed.

I'm really happy right now. It's riding right and tight.

I think my lesson here is not to tolerate issues, take them in & politely insist that they make your little car for for service.

Then, have a great summer!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM
BartleyMini
Neutral
Door Seal & Window

Thanks for the reply LetzDanz. I agree with you on the be polite issues. I believe it will help on not getting so aggravated by the situation but I think I'm already beyond aggravated! I'll also use your suggestion and ask them to look at using air/water on the window air leak. It's funny but now that I think about it and looking back at my emails - we did not get a Survey request this last time. We will be contacting the dealership on Monday to start working on it again. We'll see what happens this time. We love the car and it's really fun to drive!