R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
My system is manual not automatic.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you first start the car, the brake light indicator in the tach is orange, then changes to red. Anyone know why?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
There are plenty of days when the temperature outside doesn't warrant a/c. It seems a waste to have to run a fan when the speed alone would do it. I've been told it's the auto-air system that works that way, and that the manual-air system doesn't.
I don't get this. The a/c has it's own switch. You can run the fan without ac with the auto system. Recirc is also separately controlled. Leave recirc off, a/c off and fan on whatever speed you want.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I don't get this. The a/c has it's own switch. You can run the fan without ac with the auto system. Recirc is also separately controlled. Leave recirc off, a/c off and fan on whatever speed you want.
I can see the point being made. My Integra allowed fresh air to come through the vents without the fan. At 45+ mph you got a good draft without using the fan. With the MINI you seem to have to have the fan on to get fresh air, even if the AC is off.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I kinda knew this but reminded myself the other night, that you can have the headlights 'follow you home'. As you're leaving the car flick on the brights and the lights stay lit for 20 seconds or so.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
I kinda knew this but reminded myself the other night, that you can have the headlights 'follow you home'. As you're leaving the car flick on the brights and the lights stay lit for 20 seconds or so.
Yeah. You can set the amount of time they stay on.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Yeah. You can set the amount of time they stay on.
That's good to know!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I can see the point being made. My Integra allowed fresh air to come through the vents without the fan. At 45+ mph you got a good draft without using the fan. With the MINI you seem to have to have the fan on to get fresh air, even if the AC is off.
EXACTLY! It has worked this way on every other car I've ever owned (and I've had quite a few over the past 40 years). I don't know why no one can understand this--I've mentioned this on a few threads before this. Guess I can't explain it as well as you did. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
When you first start the car, the brake light indicator in the tach is orange, then changes to red. Anyone know why?
I'm guessing you have the parking brake on, right? It's telling you to release it before you drive.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
If the brake light turns red and stays on it means the OBC thinks your past due on your brake job(either front or back).You can tell by the red MINI pic w/circle above(either front or back) on the tach when you startup.I had that light on for a week until last night I found out how to reset all service lights and got rid of it since my front brakes were NOT in need of changing.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I think he's just refering to the idiot light with the word "brake." It does go from yellow to red (with no other indicator light) when you start up, until you release the brake.

Last edited by daffodildeb; 04-29-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
miniblott
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With keyless entry, you can press the button on the door handle to lock the doors upon leaving the car. You just have to wait 2 seconds.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'm guessing you have the parking brake on, right? It's telling you to release it before you drive.
Yes I know that, just wondering why the color changes.

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
If the brake light turns red and stays on it means the OBC thinks your past due on your brake job(either front or back).You can tell by the red MINI pic w/circle above(either front or back) on the tach when you startup.I had that light on for a week until last night I found out how to reset all service lights and got rid of it since my front brakes were NOT in need of changing.
This is not the service light, it's the word "brake" that lights up in the tach. It changes color from orange to red.

I'm guessing orange is the normal "checking all indicator lights" you get when you turn on the car and red meaning I have the parking brake on. I'll have to try it without the brake on.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
This might have something to do with the air filter that is built in to the auto A/C cars. Perhaps the filter is keeping air from flowing in on it's on so it needs that little extra pull that the fan provides in order to get air into the cabin.

I like leaving the recirc on auto as sometimes, like now during pollen season, when I don't want outside air getting in but still want air circulating. Hit auto air, auto recirc, and turn off the a/c and I'm good to go motoring.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Okay, I get it. But that means there is no way to stop the air from coming in. Why would you want that? I like Mini's way better. You want air, put on the fan; you don't turn it off vs. You don't want air, tough.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Okay, I get it. But that means there is no way to stop the air from coming in.
Actually in this case you can switch to recirculate and it will stop the air flow. Every car I've had since the 70's has allowed for fresh air to come through without a fan on like Robin mentioned. My MINI is the first that has needed a fan.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Actually in this case you can switch to recirculate and it will stop the air flow. Every car I've had since the 70's has allowed for fresh air to come through without a fan on like Robin mentioned. My MINI is the first that has needed a fan.
Yeah, but I would like to allow outside air to seep in without having it blow on me, if I choose. With recirc on, the windows sometimes fog up.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 AM
jw34
6th Gear
The bummer about having to have the fan on for minimal air flow is that it is more than just a draft. Plus the fan in not the quietest one I've had (turn up music).

Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Plus the fan in not the quietest one I've had (turn up music).
Cool, another excuse to blast the music!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I think that's the key--at least it is for me--the fan is noisy (and interferes with my audio-book). Besides, I see dollar bills flying away when I think of repairs. As for not having the air come in, I just twist the vent **** shut. In my last car, a '94 BMW 325i, I could hear the damper open or close when the outside vent vs. air conditioning control was manipulated.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
d.

I'm guessing orange is the normal "checking all indicator lights" you get when you turn on the car and red meaning I have the parking brake on. I'll have to try it without the brake on.
I think that's it, too. I remember when the SZL went out last year the yellow brake light stayed on (red, if the brake was engaged). It was telling me all was NOT well with the system, in addition to the other failure items.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 AM
GiantMINI
Neutral
Hi guys, finally got my MINI "Horse" on friday and it was love at first sight.

So yesterday my girlfriend parked the car near the park to go for a run. She didn't want to take her whole keychain so she just took the keyfob off of the emergency spare key (I got convenient access), and went to close the trunk. But the trunk kept popping back open and she realized that the whole keyfob had to be together because the car wasn't going to let her lock any part of her keys in the car.

Just one of many cool things we've discovered so far over the first few days.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GiantMINI
She didn't want to take her whole keychain so she just took the keyfob off of the emergency spare key (I got convenient access), and went to close the trunk. But the trunk kept popping back open and she realized that the whole keyfob had to be together because the car wasn't going to let her lock any part of her keys in the car.
Congratulations on receiving your new car.

With comfort access, your car won't lock if the fob portion of the key set is left inside. I officiate a lot of softball games and I don't want all of my keys with me. I disconnect the key set and take just the fob portion with me. That does the trick.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
GiantMINI
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Congratulations on receiving your new car.

With comfort access, your car won't lock if the fob portion of the key set is left inside. I officiate a lot of softball games and I don't want all of my keys with me. I disconnect the key set and take just the fob portion with me. That does the trick.

That's actually what she was trying to do. She had the fob part in her pocket but the emergency key was in her backpack attached to her keychain in the trunk. Do you have comfort access? I thought maybe this was some safety measure on the mere chance that her fob would run out of batteries and she would need the emergency key to get in the car? It seemed as if the key had to be in the fob to lock the car with comfort access, let me know if this is incorrect.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GiantMINI
That's actually what she was trying to do. She had the fob part in her pocket but the emergency key was in her backpack attached to her keychain in the trunk. Do you have comfort access?
Yes, I have comfort access, and like I said, I frequently detach the emergency key inside the fob and leave that mechanical key and my other keys inside the hidden compartment when I go to umpire games.

Is the spare fob (your second vehicle key) inside the backpack left in the trunk? If you have either fob inside the vehicle, the car will not lock. Basically, it's made so that you can't lock your keys in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI