R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Woops I just realized this was a comfort access issue...i was gunna say pop the key out, but I dont think that would help when its in ur pocket
But I have a feeling you can just open ur door and either that will take it out of aux or u just get completely out and close the door...the later should probably be the one that does it all automatically because the whole reason for comfort access is to make it less work (I don't think it lessens the nerves tho I'd be scared my doors weren't locked or the battery was dying haha)
Okay, this one of those "Duh, why didn't I think of that moments." I'll just try opening the door, going out (may make a difference since comfort access detects whether the key is inside or outside the car), close and lock the door, wait a brief interval, get back in the car, hit the button and see what position it's in.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's in aux (after turning off the engine) and you get out of the car/close the door, it will turn off after a minute or two. I've never actually timed it but when I first bought my car, I noticed the radio stayed on after I shut off the car. I didn't know how to switch it off so I got out, closed the door, and waited to see what it would do. It shut off.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Cool. An alternative is to turn off the radio by the radio power button.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
RR Hounds
2nd Gear
Mine's an auto, but I have my foot on the brake when I push the button the first time and it shuts the motor and it is in Aux mode. I then take my foot off the brake and push the button one more time and it shuts everything off completely. If I forget to take my foot off the brake and push the button the second time it turns the Mini back on (d'oh!).

Alternatively, I have pushed the button once (with foot on brake), gotten out, locked the door (with the button on the handle) and the radio continued to play. It did turn off eventually, but the first time this happened I was totally worried it wouldn't ever turn off so I used the remote and locked it and everything shut off.

Now I just do the two push thing with my foot off the brake the second push and I'm done.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
SO, here's the issue: If I am sitting in my parked car, engine off, aux on and then want to shut it down to leave it, it is necessary to push the button thrice; first it goes from "aux" to "on", second push, from "on" to "aux" and, finally, third push from "aux" to "off". I find this very annoying.
Yea, that's what I found. What's even more annoying is that it chimes at you as though you have made a mistake.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
SO, here's the issue: If I am sitting in my parked car, engine off, aux on and then want to shut it down to leave it, it is necessary to push the button thrice; first it goes from "aux" to "on", second push, from "on" to "aux" and, finally, third push from "aux" to "off". I find this very annoying.
You can skip all this button pressing and just get out, lock the door. Everything shuts down.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 AM
wdavidhicks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
You can skip all this button pressing and just get out, lock the door. Everything shuts down.
This... I will try.

If I may change the subject briefly due to forgetfullness or failure to RTFM:

I've been trying to figure out how to get something from the boot after you've started the car...

I've been shutting off the car and taking the fob to the rear of the car.

(I have the convenience access package)

Old 04-19-2008, 06:16 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
True, but I generally park my car in gear so that wouldn't really work for me.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wdavidhicks
I've been trying to figure out how to get something from the boot after you've started the car...
I've been shutting off the car and taking the fob to the rear of the car.
With your convenience access system, there's no need to shut things down. Simply push on the rubber button above the license plate frame and it will unlatch.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
I do as well. Push your start/stop button once to turn off the engine, then get out and push the black rubber button on the car. That takes care of the stereo, windshield wipers, turn signals and anything else that may be running.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tjtull
I don't think being in gear will make a difference. It still shuts down when you lock it.

Originally Posted by Sowellman
I do as well. Push your start/stop button once to turn off the engine, then get out and push the black rubber button on the car. That takes care of the stereo, windshield wipers, turn signals and anything else that may be running.
Exactly.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
I don't think being in gear will make a difference. It still shuts down when you lock it.
I was reading your initial post, about pressing the door button, to mean; leave the engine on and press the button on the door and it will shut everything down (including the engine). It was early and I was out late so I probably misread it

Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
wdavidhicks
2nd Gear
You can fit an EZ Up Tent, a six-foot folding table and two camp chairs in your R56 MINI. (No passengers.)

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Minis have a lot of back room. We purchased 2 very large containers last winter and my husband kept saying "they won't fit"! They fit just right. He never says never now.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darn I'm in the process of moving and I just had the MINI packed with a tonnnnn of stuff...should have taken a pick....but yes these can hold soooo much its crazy. Only takes a little bit of tetris skills and even more can fit

Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
We bought a microwave--the biggest one they had, I think--and it looked absolutely lonely in the back of our MINI. So...we went to the Home Depot in the same shopping center and bought 6 azalea bushes. They looked lonely, too, but we'd run out of money by then.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
odobo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
We bought a microwave--the biggest one they had, I think--and it looked absolutely lonely in the back of our MINI. So...we went to the Home Depot in the same shopping center and bought 6 azalea bushes. They looked lonely, too, but we'd run out of money by then.
lucky (or unfortunately?) you didnt think zippe was lonely in your garage after you drive her home, otherwise....

Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I've noticed that with the standard heating/cooling system, no air seems to flow through the vents when the fan is turned off. On other cars, you can get fresh air without the fan when moving.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
i like that. when i turn it off, i want it off. it annoyed me in my last car.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
But, isn't that what recirc is for?
No big deal, in any event.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
maybe, i never thought to try that.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Black&Gold
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
But, isn't that what recirc is for?
No big deal, in any event.
No, that won't work, that just recycles the air in the car, like for making the AC cool faster. or intentionalllly fogging the windows.
But maybe you were just kidding.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Recirc cuts off the outside intake, so that wouldn't work. With recirc off (i.e., outside ari intake open), does any air come in when the fan is off? I always have mine on auto, so I never checked.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I haven't noticed any air coming in with the fan off.
I thought it was strange.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by odobo
lucky (or unfortunately?) you didnt think zippe was lonely in your garage after you drive her home, otherwise....
Unfortunately, Zippeee! doesn't get a garage space. Her big brother 5-series, and a classic Porsche 356 get the roof. She's not happy about that; neither are we. Our next home will have at least a 3-car garage.

Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
I've noticed that with the standard heating/cooling system, no air seems to flow through the vents when the fan is turned off. On other cars, you can get fresh air without the fan when moving.
That is one thing I hate about the MINI--probably the biggest thing, in fact. There are plenty of days when the temperature outside doesn't warrant a/c. It seems a waste to have to run a fan when the speed alone would do it. I've been told it's the auto-air system that works that way, and that the manual-air system doesn't. If that is true, I wouldn't have ordered auto-air, since it doesn't work well on our extreme Houston days. The fan runs higher and lower, and the a/c is just barely enough as it is with a fairly high fan speed.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI